Against the Simulation Hypothesis

If you shoot it with a 12 gauge 00 action shotgun then its a clean kill thus no guilt. but if you eat beef then you probably paid people to trap a cow in a cage and you are supporting cage-ism, hell and damnation and all that is wrong with this world.

No more scientific jargon? Wot? :-k :evilfun:

Hey Carleas, I don’t really understand your objection.

Bostrom’s point isn’t to prove definitively that we are now in a simulation, but to show 1) that the possibility is not at all farfetched 2) that if we think our species shall one day arrive at a “post-human” state capable of running “ancestor-simulations” then it’s not unreasonable to question whether we aren’t now living in one such simulation.

The argument is not that we’re in such a simulation, but that we could be, that the proposition warrants serious consideration.

Anyways, with regard to your point, although I’m sure I don’t quite understand it, if the simulation is worthy of being called a simulation then wouldn’t 2 + 2 have to result in 4? Wouldn’t the logic of the simulation have to be consistent with the logic of its container world? It wouldn’t be a very good simulation otherwise…

Yet, for the sake of argument, although funky possibilities and unreliable logic may muddle the reality of simulation and make it tough to prove, none of this can be considered a refutation of Bostrom’s argument, which is: it isn’t coherent to think that posthuman civilization is likely AND that posthumans will be capable of running ancestor-simulations WHILE ALSO holding that we are probably not living in one of those simulations. Thanks, by the way, for linking to his paper.

Jack-in and jack… to the 13th Floor
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtYdZkPmFoU[/youtube]

If its available on the Roku, it will be watched. Why would any simulation have to emulate a “real” world?

…otherwise it wouldn’t be realistic. :sunglasses:

How would a world we were programmed to be in not be realistic? My sense of humor is in bed where I should be.

When 2+2 does equal 4 any more.

Your points, blah. So tell me the answers to all the paradoxes, pretty please?

:slight_smile: wonder if she will get that :slight_smile:

42?

Link–^^^

That series is damn good. Read them when you get the chance.

Watch the series? I lost a half hour of my life watching the movie. Cut my losses at that point.

Read books? Kris, wots hurt my brain.

A simulation simulates something. Bostrom’s “ancestor-simulations” are programs that simulate human history.

Speak for yourself. First thing I would do after I exit this sorry excuse for a universe is fulfill all of my wildest dreams and more.

Wait for your next simulation, or get enlightened, realizing you do not yet know yourself.

You think up are whole yet your consciousness are still split, baby like, your admission that your consciessness maybe in you, even in an emotionless state.

What you may be suspecting by now, is, that there are many selves of you all over, and you are only experiencing this one, and this is why your feelings some times leave you.

If you are whole you are not afraid of your many selves, perhaps approaching infinity.

That you do not really realize this, is obvious, because if that were the case, you would think you are god. But that is a very dangerous game, as any established guru could tell you.

Once you live in infinite worlds, then in fact you don’t have to think about it, because beyond the existential ,imit you would be pure essence, where your godhead would become evident to lesser beings.

The truth is in the pudding, by that time your nature would lead you ineptitude the many mansion of self realization and your exhibited modesty and humility would offer testimony to that fact.

I am the definition of enlightenment itself.

Never said I was whole, already said I was a broken person.

That’s not why feelings leave you, feelings leave due to the ephermal nature of reality that is a “Becoming”.
If there was an Eternal Sunshine then it would create a paradox and devalidate prior information sets in the same way atheists believe there is Eternal nothing and no transference of spiritual wisdommemory after bodily demise.

If you are not yet afraid, you will be, you will be. Fact is imagine yourself as 100’s of past lives, joe bobs at his barque, suzie sue sucking cocks and loads of semen down her throat. Yes that was you, you were both joe bob getting his cock sucked off by unsuspecting suzie, laughing at her but the jokes on him- little did he know he will be suzie in his next life, and she is litterally sucking off her own load. the road the road gets even more old, more cold, future lives more and more evolved and anti-social, the road to loniless and virginity gets ever more solid until all remnants of joy and hope no longer appears as threads and the road fades to a solid color, hell and misery like No Country for Old Men.

Already made a thread saying I’m god.

If you truly lived in infinite worlds then you wouldn’t be caring about trivial things like space travel, you would have already mastered such mundane activities.

I like pudding.

Is it not said that I am the Great and Humble Trrrrixie?

The “absolute possibility” of that cannot be objected.
This too I have heard before - from an acquaintance of mine. It was not just about the possibility of parallel universes. She maintained that our world would be a projection of a ‘higher-order’ world, like 3D solids projected on a plain surface. Both spaces comply with geometry, there’s a link between them, but the 2D world cannot comprehend what the 3D world is and yet it was determined by it (she was a kind of gnostic).
Personally I have nothing to object to parallel universes with no points of contact. Nor I am against the idea of an universe way more complex than the one we can (directly or indirectly) experience. The question is about what would be the relationship between us and the ‘higher order’. I think that there should be an ‘isomorphism’ between the science we know and the one we can’t know. If, on the contrary, this ‘higher order’ is a world like the simulators’, freely manipulating our universe, or a world governed by a moral law, then I tend to consider it a form of (religious) myth and cannot philosophize on the basis of such conjectures (“God is dead” and that’s it).

Maybe you’re not alone, but you’re surely not with me. I see no catastrophe. OK science is largely technology and/or market driven, and personally I like that. I consider it to be the emancipation of science from millennia of platonism, scientist are no longer transfigured monks abiding in the quest for truth. Scientific progress has ceased to be mistaken for moral progress.
At the same time science is definitely the most powerful form of knowledge mankind has ever attained, possibly the brightest achievement in the Promethean task started at the beginning of History. The conjunction of these two factors seems to me the precondition for something even bigger.
(To Nietzscheans: I am not suggesting “to worship stone, stupidity, gravity, fate, nothingness”, quite the opposite).