are politicians psychopaths?

Think you describe sociopaths.

Sociopaths are psychopaths. The difference is PC nomenclature.

Great post, O_G.

They’r overlapping terms and doesn’t nessesarily have to be the same.

I think you are glossing over the psychology of the psychopath. I addressed this in my OP.

I think you might be as well.

Fine, don’t read my OP.

Even though in itself your decription is good, it lacks much and in the end explains nothing.

One is only psycopath when one unmotivated breaks a relative norm.

• leaders who wage wars against eachother isn’t nessesarily psycopaths, even though their action will cause destruction and death en masse.
  • soldiers who goes to war and kills the enemy isn’t psycopaths, nor when they kill civilians colateral.
  • civilizations have had slaves for many thousands of years, whipping them, beating them …etc, totally disregarding the slaves feelings without being psycopaths.
  • in the past parents would slap, hit and beat up their children, not being psycotic.
    …etc…etc…

Fine, assume that the quote, from your OP, was the only part I read.

The difference isn’t in degree, the difference is categorical. I think you know that, too, as that is what clinical psychology is based on. We’re not talking about extremely self-interested people here; we’re talking about psychopaths. If you’ve ever met a sociopath/psychopath personally you’ll understand the difference. They are simply closed off. As much as they want to, they cannot feel anything but themselves. Their own desires. They will admit this.

So besides the bold being simply false, what you’re talking about there is the leader’s survival mechanism as guiding the leader’s decision making.

It’s interesting to note, though, that nowadays that doesn’t even apply anyways. Psychopaths in power can kill thousands, millions of people, based on the sole fact that they think there are too many people around threatening their rule, and the public is so stupid that there is no fear on the part of the leader. This stuff happens and the guilty are never held responsible. Or very rarely. The victims just shrug and chat on philosophy forums.

@ Old_Gobbo I think you should read a bit more than just a few lines of Wiki on psycos.

Maybe.