attacks on god

No… the whole point is that it interferes with new discovery.

“… there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”

“I want to put on the table, not why 85% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences reject God, I want to know why 15% of the National Academy don’t.”

“What would bother me is if you were so content in your answer that you no longer had curiosity to learn how it happened. The day you stop looking because you are content that God did it, I don’t need you in the lab. You are useless…”

“Where ignorance lurks, so too do the frontiers of discovery and imagination”

“Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.”

• Neil DeGrasse

There is always some guy telling you what should believe or what you have to believe.

Remove the religious authorities and you get civil, secular, atheist, ‘whatever’ authorities which fill the vacuum. :imp:

“The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Do you know how many false theories have been promoted as truth in the past? Do you know which theories are true today and which are false?

Like the world being flat and us being the center of the universe?

I know the world is round and that we aren’t the center of the universe.

Facts are facts. If it isn’t true, it isn’t a fact.

there is a scientist who heads the NIH…he is a Christian who believes in god…he is the head of the human genome project…what do you think about that…his name is francis s collins

You seem to see science as a book which only contains truth.
If someone comes along, turns to a page and says “I don’t believe this to be true”". An arrogant scientist will respond with “The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.”

Actually it may be false. We don’t know in all cases. We can be very sure about the Earth being a spheroid. But lots of other stuff is not so obviously true.

It’s written in the book as a fact. Now. Today. Sure, a hundred years from now, you will be able to say that it was false. That does help you now.

this is for art

Or it might be true. Like it is regarded now. Because Science isn’t just believing in things randomly. It’s testing, observing, forming hypothesis. You know, due process?

That’s great… there is a bigger chance he’ll arrive at something he cannot explain and say “God did it”. Just like many others. Then 100 years later or maybe even less, someone else will come along and solve what he couldn’t and dismiss the “god did it” explanation like it always has been. Francis Collins that is.

I don’t think the god thing has stood in his way…he is one of the pair of guys who deciphered the human genome…his belief in god does not stand in his way…face facts art

I said if he arrives at something he cannot explain.

It even happened to Newton… This guy is piss compared to Newton, sorry.

his belief in god did not stop him and will not in the future…he looks at nature different than you…
he sees dna as the language of god
it is possible to have a good scientist who believes in the Christian god

Yeah… didn’t say it wasn’t possible. You’ll see. It happened to Newton and it seems to always happen. Nothing to do with nature either.

Science is always about our best or most practical guess yet about what is happening in our known universe. It cannot be seen as adversarial to belief in God. Einstein noted that he was not questioning God, but only how God did it.

I don’t think Einstein believed in a god…

Einstein did believe in god or better still “saw” a god.

The following quotations from Einstein are all in Jammer’s book:

“Behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force is my religion. To that extent, I am in point of fact, religious.”[8]

“Every scientist becomes convinced that the laws of nature manifest the existence of a spirit vastly superior to that of men.”[9]

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man.”[10]

“The divine reveals itself in the physical world.”[11]

“My God created laws… His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking but by immutable laws.”[12]

“I want to know how God created this world. I want to know his thoughts.”[13]

“What I am really interested in knowing is whether God could have created the world in a different way.”[14]

“This firm belief in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world of experience, represents my conception of God.”[15]

“My religiosity consists of a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit, …That superior reasoning power forms my idea of God.”[16]

According to Dawkins, “Einstein was repeatedly indignant at the suggestion he was a theist.”[19] The evidence from Jammer’s book is the exact opposite. What Einstein actually said is:

“I am not an atheist, and I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist.”[20]

“Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics and comes from the same source.”[21]

“There is harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, yet there are people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me to support such views.”[22]

bethinking.org/god/did-einst … eve-in-god

omg

turtle,

Would you like to clarify what you mean by omg - it’s really not clear to me.

oh my god-----what can I say to that