Can atheism explain love?

He is saying what we are here for NOT 'why".
We can, and do make our own reasons why we do what we do.

What he says is essentially correct, and it is only the act of huge arrogance and hybris to pretend that nature is adjusted to our needs by a divine presence. In fact I challenge anyone to explain half of what happens as if the world conformed to that suggestion in the slightest.

If there is a God, then he is not that which is characterised by your religion or any for that matter.

Note how his argument began, a premise:

By that premise, a definition of God is being implied. And it is a common definition, “God = the greatest being imaginable”. Considering that definition, the logic follows that God has physical existence.

That isn’t at all the definition that I prefer, but it is a common one.

And how exactly does it follow? What exactly do you mean by greatest?

The greatest being wouldn’t allow holocaust to happen. Holocaust happened, therefore there is no greatest being since any being that lets holocaust happen is not the greatest being, as the greatest being would be capable of preventing it and would want to prevent it. Sounds familiar?

If there truly is a God I can imagine a being greater than that God, a being that would have stopped Holocaust, therefore that God is not the greatest imaginable being since I can easily imagine a greater one.

Also, it seems to me you’re trying to use the original version of the ontological argument. Are you? Cause if so, you should be embarrassed.

The debate concerning which philosophy is the greatest idea with which to control life on Earth has been going on for thousands of years. Unless you have the greatest idea yourself, how would you know what that philosophy/idea would demand or permit?

You can’t imagine a greater one until you do. And once you do, there is the greatest. Many have accepted that God is “the Becoming”, “God creates himself”, and “God is the beginning and the end”. Many surmise that God cannot be known (the greatest cannot be known), but in the mean time, like the scientists, we will control all the world with the best we can imagine at the time, ie. “God [at the time]”.

Personally, I know that it is a better idea to leave it alone until you have a very, very confirmed idea. Of course, they have to learn how to confirm ideas before they can do that, but someday maybe they will figure that out (it isn’t like they haven’t been given clues). The idea, “try it and see until we get it right” is notably NOT the best.

I wouldn’t trust myself to guess what you mean by “the original” of anything.

[dp]

No translation of the full sentence seems readily available. Please correct this if it’s wrong.

"I feign no hypothesis, whatever is not derived from phenomena is to be called a hypothesis, and hypotheses either metaphysical, or physical, or of occult quality, seated in mechanics, have no place in philosophy. "

As Uccisore noted somewhere, Pol Pot and all those have disproven Bacons claim about atheism.

And this hearsay Shelly speaks of is hardly limited to religion, is it?

How many humans know scientific concepts to apply, by having proven and verified them? And how much is not presented in academia as “science” that is rooted in no phenomenal proof at all?

I agree with everything Lev said, couldn’t have put it better myself. I just want to add that I agree with Dawkins there. That doesn’t make me love my family and friends or enjoy life any less.

So I still don’t see why any of those immoral actions follow from Dawkins’s worldview. I myself think you’re either misunderstanding Dawkins’s quote or pretending to.

So you’re saying you’re not gonna have an affair or leave your wife even if you found out she can’t have your children, since you regard those actions as immoral, right? I am glad to see that you have a sense of what’s morally right.

But then, you also say you agree with Dawkins, which means you believe what he says below to be true, right?

“We are machines built by DNA whose purpose is to make more copies of the same DNA. That is exactly what we are here for.”

If you commit yourself to and be faithful to a woman who can’t conceive, it will guarantee that you will not make more copies of your DNA.

According to Dawkins above, which you agree with btw, propagating your DNA is the truth of what we’re here for … so, if loving your wife who can’t conceive is more important to you (which I agree, that’s who we’re supposed to be), you’re not following the truth (defined by atheism) after all.

If Pol Pot disproves a claim about atheism (whatever that is supposed to be), how much more effectively does Torquemada, Saladin, Henry VIII, Ivan the Terrible, Hitler, and Julius Caesar disprove the notion that THEISM provides some protection against despotism or that it is capable of guaranteeing a moral standard?
Atheism has nothing to do with morality, it is just a position that finds theism absurd.

It’s not relevant that Shelly’s heresy is limited to religion, the fact it that he correctly characterises the claims of Theism: it is enough.
Science can be wrong too. It just makes Theism look worst still.
But you miss the point about Isaac Newton. What he did was to not stress an hypothesis, but simply to model and describe what he sees. That is science at its best: Hypotheses non fingo. And that is how it is higher than the claims of Theism which asserts a hypothesis it cannot support or maintain.

Yuujin living beings have strong natural instincts for reproduction which aren’t present without a reason, those instincts are there to ensure the survival of the species, the continuance of life. That does not, however, mean that those instincts cannot be overcome, even though they are strong.

And humans aren’t exactly on the verge of extinction, they’re one of the most prosperous species on the planet. One couple not having children wouldn’t make much difference. So why would you think that not abandoning your wife is contradictory to evolution? The practical implementation of such high moral standards is exactly what separates us and animals and what has allowed us to become the most intelligent and ultimately dominant species on the planet.

I can’t honestly speak about what I myself would do since I’m asexual. And no, I’m not making it up just to avoid the question, there is a thread in off topic I made far before you came here explaining and examining my asexuality, you can find it rather quickly using the search function. I think I would stay with my wife though, but as I pointed out, it isn’t in conflict with evolution.

What you also have to keep in mind is that some people would abandon their wives.

But all of that has nothing to do with atheism, it has to do with evolution and is loosely connected to naturalism, but it literally has nothing to do with atheism.

And about your earlier post, I don’t see how having multiple wives is immoral if they agree to it and are aware of each other.

Inanimate matter has randomly evolved to have an instinct to ensure the survival of the species. That’s an odd instinct. Why would that happen (especially initially)?

But the individuals have the instinct to pass on their own dna. It is not in the of the childless individual to have others pass on their dna, unless they are related family members.

You are writing as though it is the purpose of a human to ensure the survival of humanity.

Our high moral standards have allowed us to become intelligent and dominant? How would that work in the context of evolution? And you must be referring to moral standards that developed prior to the recent times (last 15 thousand years when theists and religions got morals from gods).

You will also find that bacteria and insects are dominant.

Atheris, you’re not getting my point.

As I repeatedly said in this thread, I perfectly understand the first part of what you’re saying here and don’t need that to be explained.

What I don’t understand is the second part. If the atheistic view of what we’re here for is true, why would the instincts for reproduction need to be overcome? Why do you think it’s better that we overcome them and stay in a situation where we won’t materialize the truth of what we’re here for?

If there’s something more important so that we should overcome those instincts, then propagating our DNA is not our ultimate purpose, is it?

OK, let’s just say for the sake of argument, that I am an atheist, and I believe the truth of what we’re here for is to propagate my DNA, as Dawkins says.

Why would you regard my action as immoral (as in your previous posts), if I wanted to leave my wife upon finding her infertility, because I intend to follow the truth (defined by Dawkins)?? Why is it wrong if I did what it takes to pursue the purpose of what I’m here for??

I said that already myself as below, and you haven’t answered the question.

"Also, if your spouse ever gets ill or injured and deemed incapable of procreating, what’s wrong with leaving him/her? I guess there are people who’d do that, but most people look unfavorably on those who do, and favorably on those who don’t. Why? "

Are you saying atheism and naturalism literally have nothing to do with each other?? Aren’t the atheistic understanding of the world and the naturalistic understanding of the world the same? If you take the beliefs in god/spirituality out of the picture, what else will there be, other than naturalism?

Literarians, thinkers, philosophers, and poets have considered the question of Love since time immemorial.
The results of reading about this trope can only leave one with the thought that love is a multiplicitous and multifarious thing, not easily boiled down to any simple meaning, function or definition.
But the worst we have is in the twisted and hateful conception of love we are offered from the priesthood, who have bound it to their own grim and disgraceful purpose and so misconstrued it so that it is characterised as a sinful, dirty and guilty practice.

Who said that love is sinful, dirty and a guilty practice?

To enjoy life and avoid pain which would be caused to you and your wife if you left her?

Reproducing and passing on our genes is one of our strong instincts, but the strongest instinct of all which cannot be overcome and is the one that ultimately can overcome all others is the instinct for pleasure. Different people find pleasure in life differently, some people can’t find it at all.

If somebody finds pleasure in being with a certain person, that instinct of pleasure, living an enjoyable life, can overcome the instinct for reproduction.

Actually, I wouldn’t find it immoral. A person has the right to choose a partner and is not obliged to stay with anybody.

I’d consider you an asshole, but not immoral.

There are spiritual atheists too, though admittedly, they’re a minority.

Theism simply means to have a belief in god’s existence, and has little to do with any human-made religion, as I don’t belong to a religion. Whatever ‘some’ priests may have taught (with a twisted notion that comes from themselves) doesn’t attest to the non-existence of god.

If that was true, then animals would have died out long ago. Animals do all sorts of dangerous and deadly things just to reproduce. Look no farther than the human male adolescent for evidence.

Why is he an asshole? And what’s the difference between calling him immoral or calling him an asshole?

This really doesn’t answer my question. Can you answer with yes or no?
Are the atheistic understanding of the world and the naturalistic understanding of the world the same or different? If different, how?

Thanks, phyllo, for asking the same question I was thinking too. :slight_smile:

I thought you’d understand, but fine, I’ll elaborate.

The same way theism is belief in God’s existence, atheism is disbelief in God’s existence, just a different position concerning the existence of a deity.

Atheism is not a worldview. Atheists may have worldviews, but those worldviews aren’t derived from their atheism.

Some atheists are also naturalists, some aren’t. It’s not necessary to be a naturalist in order to be an atheist.

I wasn’t speaking about animals, in regards to that, animals are very different to humans I agree.

Thinking about it a little more, not sure if I would even call him an asshole. I mean, if the guy wants to have kids, his own kids, and the woman is infertile then how can I blame him for leaving her? You can’t really blame him for not loving her enough, since you can’t pick who and how much you love.