Can you imagine to be dead?

I really am not bothered with being proved wrong because accepting it is how one grows. So if everything I think is true is actually false it makes
zero difference to me. Since the whole point about being detached is not to hold on to views with any degree of absolute certainty. But this is a
work in progress as it takes a lifetime to reach a certain point so I just carry on regardless. And if after that I am wrong it does not really matter

I think Ultimate Philosophy put it rightly. Existence is the default position. If someone believes in eternal nothingness, which none of us have experienced, which none of us can see or feel, and which non of us can comprehend, wouldn’t the burden of proof rest upon the one who holds that view?

I WANT there to be eternal non-existence. It’s a utopia to me, and I believe it is precisely because of its utopian nature that I once confused myself into believing the strange, all too strange logic of it. There is no greater burden then carrying the weight of eternity upon ones mind, to know that escape is impossible. But the facts of existence bear out only existence.

Of course, no ones mind is going to be changed because of this discussion, minds will only change because of knew experiences that bring about alternations in point of view. So I won’t argue this point anymore, I will only say that it is self evident to me that death is one transition the more, just like waking up after going to sleep, or breathing out after breathing in.

It helps me to think of it while I am alive but if I am wrong it does not matter as I already said
I was sorry to hear that no ones mind is going to be changed so I guess I am in the wrong place

There are minds in here which are NOT set in stone. Sometimes you need a strong flashlight or magnifying glass to glean them though.
I realize you might just detach from either thought but I’m just saying…

Well I presume no ones mind is going to be changed because generally people’s minds don’t change on internet message boards regarding arguments, particularly when those arguments are about the nature of life after death or not. I don’t think there is any “right” place on the internet in which someone is going to be convinced about this one way or the other.

I mean, I myself didn’t come to the view I currently have through discourse with other people, let alone discourse over the internet. There was a progression of various different views I went through, from believing in what I was brought up in (eternal heaven or eternal hell), to no life after death, to the eternal return, then various different twists on the eternal return, and up till the present, where I have no belief about what form consciousness will assume after death, only that consciousness per say, doesn’t end.

This was due to my own thinking, experiences, and events in life that that shaped both my thinking and brought upon the experiences. I’d imagine it’s the same for others. But if someone’s mind is changed in this thread, great.

Can you think of existence as a ballet of sorts?

If so, then it is not the only position - it is not even a position - it is the primal energy which brings on the dance movements of many positions. It is flowing.

Cheegster has an interesting philosophy youtube channel called „Philosophy On Ice“. There I found a video with the title „You Are Dying“.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRpzDjZim7I[/youtube]

Interesting? It’s a braindead hedonist preaching to braindead slaves who are to scared to do anything socially abnormal.

Does it really matter if we do what we want when we die? Do you think it really matters to the cosmic timeline if Charlie bungie jumps like he always wanted to? We are in this town together, I am the Sheriff of this town. Does it really matter if we do what we want when we die? No. We have to do what needs to be done.

The only things that matters
-DNA machine
-Brain serum (needed to be able to make highlevel inventions)
-Selective neuron enabler/disabler for scientific death research
-Consciousness transporter (enables switching of host bodies)

Enjoying life is not important for you?

“Enjoying life” does not mean “hedonistic life”.

Enjoying life is important. That is why the DNA machine has to be made, to improve the quality of life. And if you want to be immortal, you need the consciousness transporter (duh.) The brain serum has to be made so scientists will have the energy and knowhow on how to build it. And from there, you need to do the death research, in case someone dies by accident, so you will know where their consciousness goes, in order to improve their quality of life.

In order to know where the consciousness “goes”, you have to scientifically experience the consciousness, and that is not possible, because the consciousness is no physical but a metaphysical phenomenon, so it is not scientifically but philosophically knowable. The consciousness is merely indirectly but not directly provable. So it is not as provable as, for instance, a particle. It is also not a program. So it is also not directly provable by a computer program or something like that.

Concerning consciousness and the subject/object-dichotomy:

The objectivist says “the consciousness is a product of our brain”, but the subjectivist says “the consciousness is a product of my thoughts”.

That are two very much different statements.

What if both objectivity and subjectivity occurred simultaneously? Infinitely.

The problem is that they can not be brought into real harmony. They are always in conflict with or at least in parallel to each other.

Says what authority with what evidence?

I am an authority, and my evidence is my experience. :sunglasses:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:happy-smileyinthebox: In or out? Make up your mind. :mrgreen:

What is your suggestion: “in or out”? :laughing:

Perhaps in reality one can imagine what it might be like, but I don’t firmly believe any one individual can have a solid and justified understanding of what it truly is like to be deceased. Linking this to dreaming about being dead (note: not dying), I am sure it is impossible to dream about something that we have never witnessed, i.e. death itself is not part of our realm of dreams.

But, as technology and neuroscience improve, machines may follow energy beyond death, recording what occurs.