Dennett on religion

Doesn’t the Quran (Koran) recognize Jesus Christ as a separate person, doesn’t it recognize Jesus Christ as a prophet?

I hesitate to make a lot of definative statements about Jesus status to Muslims, but yes, that much is true. Many Muslims hold him as a prophet, but a lesser one. Christianity was already roughly six centuries old when Muhammad was born, so it’s pretty obvious that the two aren’t the same person.

One must also mention that to a Christian, Jesus is actually God and is divine. To Muslims he was merely a human prophet second in importance to Muhammad.

I look forward to more videos from this guy, or TED conferences in general

Yes, me too. I will look for his book tomorrow.

More of DD along with RD and others:

reitstoen.com/dennett.php

reitstoen.com/dawkins.php

I love the intro to his latest book…

He actually thinks religion is very important right now and he and dawkins always disagree on this point. Dawkins wants it got rid of and Dennet thinks people still need it, and that we shouldnt destroy these illusions just yet.

Yes, that’s pretty much my take on his video. I used to agree with him but events of the last decade make me question the wisdom of keeping it around. To me it’s like the frozen vials of Anthrax & Smallpox we keep around just in case only to see it smuggled out to terrorists. Maybe the benefits are finally starting to be outweighed by the risks.

Please re-read; i won’t re-state.

Whhhaaa?? Try diet.

Actually, TV was an integral part of my one week flash.

I’ve said; i’m the luckyest man in the world. :smiley:

I picked up a few of Dennett’s book today, “Breaking the Spell,” “Darwin’s Dangerous Idea,” and “Freedom Evolves.” I’m anxious to explore his ideas in greater depth. Thanks again for a great link. :slight_smile:

Excellent link. Thanks Rounder. So nice to hear somebody else use the word ‘meme’ without blushing.

:laughing:

'Twas quite good.

Denial is an interesting response.

The people who ‘stay’ tend to be those who face the relevant facts. Those who deny the facts ultimately have to ‘move on.’ It’s an evolutionary truth.

If someone uses lies, violence, and the murder of innocents to steal a homeland, it shouldn’t surprise them that they have to endure same to keep it.

I like Dennet’s cow/ant/parasite example better than the cat/mouse/virus example. The question is; how does it relate to the human condition? Dennet’s perspective contains a great deal of forgiveness; the just and continuous evolution of the various social structure are neutered; or are they? Religious structures are neutered, but civil and economic structures persist.

Freedom is a delicate thing; a steering of habit, it has been suggested. Before a habit is discarded, its relationship to life must be thuroughly considered. Thru that, if it proves to be relevant then perhaps it ought to be retained. If it tells you that; well then, that’s just amazing. There is less forgiveness in myown position, than there is in Dennet’s.

Replying to your last question here. You are ignorant as to what actually gets you to heaven. Good works will not get you heaven…if so there would be no reason to believe in God.

Now if I left that out, and asked which was the better man…well they’re most likely the same. Unless however the atheist really truly cared for a person…but what reason would he have to? We’re all selfish and most of us do good deeds to help ourselves.

The Christian who truly knew what he was doing and knew good works don’t get him to heaven, would be a good man because he’s doing it for God, to please him…So basically you can leave Christian and Atheist out and just simply put it “which man would be morally better, the selfish? or the caring?” And I’m pretty sure you’re smarter enough to answer that for yourself.

That’s an erroneous statement.

Just because we all are affected by the selfish gene to a degree doesn’t mean an Athiest can’t truly care for someone. That’s absurd.

WTF?

Am I missing something? The whole fucking video the guy was leaving huge gaps in his explanations. He kept saying we could get to this or to that but didn’t actually get there.

-Thirst

Yep.

Well, at least it made perfect sense to me.

Then again I’m… me.

I should go out and get high then…

-Thirst

We are suppost to believe him because he has ‘good’ credentials.

I think you should all watch the video at TED by Rick Warren. Warren also does something similar as Dennet, but it is much more entertaining to watch. Warren isnt as arrogant.

That’s an erroneous statement.

Just because we all are affected by the selfish gene to a degree doesn’t mean an Athiest can’t truly care for someone. That’s absurd.[/quote

How so? If you would read I said but what reason would an atheist have to care? And both Christians and atheist are selfish and most of us “do” good deeds to help ourselves…

Do you still need help comprehending that? I don’t believe I EVER said an atheist couldn’t truly care for someone did I. READ PLEASE.

Their moral code?