Does god exist ?

Well dear sir, i never claimed that my toaster can fry organic matter… my toaster can toast bread… from time to time.
Doesn’t it stand to reason that from a philosophical point of view something to be called a god should be afirst cause or omnipotent… etc ?

And religious people do claim that god is omnipotent. What exatcly are you saying when you say omnipotent ?

If god is not omnipotent then why call him god; why raise cults ? Why crash airplanes in office buildings ? Why suicide bomb public places ? but most importantly WHY SHOULD I GET DOWN ON MY KNEES TO WORSHIP HIM ?

So i got an atheist saying that a god would be above logic /mathematics/rationality and a theist saying he’s not.

I must say i’m quite surprised by this turn of events :smiley:.

Now allow me to move to the century old argument about the existance of evil.

Why is there “evil” in the world ?

Nietzsche and many more philosophers i like to read say that good and evil are human inventions and should be regarded as fiction. I realised this a long time ago, even before i read philosophy.

Now religious people see “evil” as something, obviusoly in opposition to “good” but they give those values “meta-human” characteristics. Now why is that ? Why should there be a “spirit of good” and a “spirit of evil” ?
But nevermind those; they’re just silly question i like to raise. Moving on…

Claims by theologians:
God is perfect
God is all-good
God is all-knowing
God is all-powerfull

Why is there evil, suffering and death on behalf of innocent human beings ?
If you ask a priest this question he will give 2 answers.

1. They are caused by human beings and thus are a product of our “evil” nature.
  2. They are ways in which god tests his subjects to see which have strong moral fiber.

In reply to 1:
Not all human suffering and death come from human actions… take for example the death of a young child with cancer or any other terminal dissease. Are those disseases the product of god ? And if so… why give them to an innocent child ?

And in reply to 2:
The fact that god tests some people, like parents, by putting a child through a terrible ordeal is completly immoral on HIS behalf.
How can anyone have respect for such a god ?

Ok… let the good times roll… faust ? Uccisore ?

Firstly, if your definition of “omnipotent” would mean that for God to be omnipotent he’d have to be able to make a logical contradiction, you’ve got a bizarre conception of the word “omnipotent”.

There have been many responses to the Problem of Evil, some better than others. If you don’t think any of them are adequate, fair enough. Most theists I imagine would find some of them adequate.

Personally, from the little I know of it, I like Leibniz’ response.

I know about those responses, including Leibniz… none solve the problem.

And for the sake of argument on this matter lets change “omni-potent” to “able to help”… hows that ?

Carp - you will not enjoy the freedom of atheism until you let the anger go.

Angry atheists - still slaves to religion.

it runs too deep to just let go…

But that it runs so deep is the very reason to. They still have you by the balls.

Buck up.

OK. God’s able to help, therefore he cannot make a square circle, or a triangle with more than 180 degrees or whatever.

If you don’t accept the various theodicies I suppose that’s your prerogative. Neither side has a knock-down proof.

My conception of God implies that He’d have control over us to the point that, yes, we could decide 160 degrees would be a better number to mark a straight line or the sum of a triangle’s vertices’ angles if He wanted us to. I don’t think you’re trying to disprove God, but rather highlight contradictions in the way certain people believe God to be. Namely, to the extent that God is so devoid of properties resembling a being that it would be irrational to any longer call Him “God”, and just use “universe” to intone the idea.

As to your question beyond the nearly meaningless intricacy of worldplay, God composes the metaphysical bounds that define existance; they are a part of what I mean when I say “God.” Don’t get confused and think that 1 + 2 = 3 is a metaphysical bound of existance; it’s the way we describe one. God is ultimately above these metaphysical rules in my belief, to the extent that He has power over them, but I don’t expect them to be changed by Him.

Yep. Is that a problem?

I suppose that, being a theist, I should just tell you “because God wills it.” But that probably wouldn’t answer the questions clearly or fully. Logic is the way we think; the only way in which we would understand something to work in articulate terms would be to base it on logic, so we’d have a lot of trouble convincing ourselves logic didn’t work–we’d have to use logic to do it.

To the second question, I do believe that natural order is defined by God, so it gains purpose and value by that design; I don’t know what the aims or ultimate justification for natural order are. I think saying, “the only thing we know about something is that God defines it” doesn’t strike at the integrity of religion, nor does religion’s history of being tied to natural phenomena. Can you explain how it could be otherwise? Why does it matter that when science can’t explain something, religion is the only thing people have? Science still doesn’t replace religion; people still look at the sun, rivers, mountains, and loved ones and think about the glory of God, despite knowing how the solar system works, fluid dynamics, plate techtonics, and the biological roots of sexual desire.

Age old indeed. Again, I start with “because God wills it.” The term “evil” is certainly something we use liberally (or at least neocons use liberally), and doesn’t really apply to more than an ideal. So I’ll pretend you’re asking “Why is there suffering in the world?” just to make things a little cleaner. While an anthropomorphic view of God would basically be undermined by this question, in that God would have to decide to bring pain on people, and thus be accountable for doing evil at the same time as being all-loving, a more theologically accurate view of the Christian God (that is what we’re talking about I suppose) isn’t.

Remember that the general monotheistic, intellectual conception of God is also timeless, detached from the value of things like wealth and pain, as well as loving. To use the example of (what I consider to be metaphorical) an afterlife; would pain on earth matter to God if it were transient, even relative to the consciousness suffering, considering God’s timelessness? I think you can use your imagination to see how the idea of God escapes that question once you shed His garb of an old guy pulling strings from a cloud.

@ Alun Aedicita

Well… i’m impressed; best answer i got so far on this forum from a religious person.
There are many things which you’ve said that i don’t agree with and are not to my liking but i don’t feel like criticising them at the moment, i will however raise one question for you.

Trust me i hate the “god” pulling the strings in the clounds the most;

You said you’re a Christian; Do you believe in the things written in the bible ?
Now for me, thats a book filled with gibberish what value do you give it ?

But most important:
Do you believe hell exists and that i will be burning there for all eternity while you will be rejoicing in heaven ?
And in this manner wouldn’t heaven be hell for a moral person knowing there are so many people in hell burning alive for all eternity ?
Please explain to me the “logic” behind the existance of hell and why the almighty god would want to punish someone like me for all eternity.

Now… when you talk about trancended beings and afterlife and heaven etc… do you have any ideea what you’re asking for or do you just like the ideea ?

I think you should be very happy with your existance here because its full of mystery and grandour.
Put yourself in god’s shoes for a minute; think about what that means to you.
We humans are driven by thirst for knowledge, happiness, love and power can you imagine not having those driving forces ?
Can you seriously tell me you’d like to exist for all eternity ? Wouldn’t you like to at one point simply stop existing ?

Many were the times when priests told me as a young boy that i could not imagine eternity… and thats how long i’ll be staying in hell if i don’t get down on my knees and put money in their little basket.
But for the same eternity they themselves will be sitting “on a fluffy cloud with nothing to do”.

How much is enough ? How many more eons would you like to go on existing for ? How much time would pass before you get sick and tired of everything there is ?

Thats the beauty of dying… which all you people who want an afterlife miss; without realising it death is the only thing giving spark to your brief existance.

I’m very interested in your reply to this post because this is me; this is how i feel and this is one of my many personal arguments agains god.

Carpathian,

Basically, I consider most of the Bible to be valuable in terms of its description of metaphysical–i.e. purely religious–concepts, not in terms of empirical reality. When it talks about what has meaning, that’s when I do pay attention to it relatively strictly, but when it says not to eat shellfish, I treat it like any other book. The same goes for its talking about a perfect kingdom that good people go to when they die. I am entirely focused on this life, not worried about this other one that may or may not exist and that I can’t know anything about. What the idea of heaven does mean to me is that selfishness, the pursuit of maintaining our own strength, is ultimately void in the conventional sense, because in the end, what matters is the collective universe, not whether we get a nice car; however, our identity is tied to the universe, and thus we are a part of something that, for all intents and purposes, doesn’t die.

Whatever created the universe is “God”. Noone knows what it is, but it was quite special.

No

Carpathian

Yes, and I never claimed that my God could make incorrect mathematical formulas true somehow. As far as I know, most philosophically active theists don't claim this, either. Just like me and the toaster, your claim that 'Omnipotence = making logically impossible stuff happen' are words that you've put in the mouths of theists. If you want to argue against theism, you need to first grasp what theism [i]is saying.[/i] 

So, accept that neither me nor any other theist you would enjoy talking to thinks God can do logically impossible things, and we can progress. Wether or not you think this state means God isn’t ‘omnipotent’ really doesn’t phase me, we’ll use some other word for that side of God’s nature. “Maximally Powerful”, if you want.

When I say "God is Omnipotent", I mean that He is the most powerful and capable Being there is, or ever could be. No Being could possibly be more powerful than God is.  This expression is imprecise, and general- for example, there may be things that I can do, that God cannot. 

You would have to ask the people who do those things. If that’s the caliber of theist you are interested in talking with, I need to warn you that I don’t think you’ll find many here.

Oh, did you want to talk to a philosopher or a preacher? I stepped in to address the ‘theism vs. atheism’ thing, not the “Oh Lord, how shall I live!!” thing.

Not yet. Not with me at least. We need to hammer out and agree on the above before we can deal with anymore more complex- the nature of God’s power directly impacts the question of His preventing evil, after all. Nothing any more irritating than a hit and run atheist, don’tcha know.

I will just state what I believe first: I do NOT believe in the monotheistic version of God. That said, since I do not know why we are here or who or what placed us here…I cannot exclude anything else.

To answer Carpathian:

If we for the sake of this argument agree that God exists. Jesus is sitting with us right now and you ask him to do whatever it is you want him to do: prove mathematical impossibilities or rationalizing the irrationable. If we take what religion teaches us about God as a fact, then by all means, why shouldn’t God just reboot the universe and set new rules of logic which makes the irrational now, seem rational?

There is something that troubles me though, you said that the theistic people makes you become and stay atheistic? What happens if we all become atheists? Will you just turn around and be a zealot? I don’t understand that reasoning.

Whats there not to understand ? faust understood
I cannot be anything but an atheist as long as religion exists… and being called an atheist is an accusation.
For me this is the age when religion needs to be put aside and its role in the world be taken over by culture; literature, philosophy, poetry etc…

@ Alun Aedicita

I’m not pleased with your post i was expecting more; it’s clearly not on the same level as your first post and it still doesn’t answer the main question i put forth.

How much in enough ? How much longer do you want to exist ?
That’s a burning issue for me because i feel that consciousness, regardless of the source, be it god or aliens or humans is not meant to exist forever.

So for me “the creator” if “it” exists cannot have consciousness because thats the basis for suicide; posessing everything that “the creator” you say does posses makes his existance so pointless and selfish that he must have commited suicide a long “time” ago.

You only answered to my inquiry about the bible… i ask of you to please do the same about the other things i wrote in there… but mainly… HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH ?

@ Uccisore

I think i need at this point to distinguish for you people the different kind and types for gods, as i see them.

1. The Creator
  2. The Biblical God
  3. The Fundamentalist
  4. The Fluffy White Kind of Something
  5. The Old Man With a Long Beard.

Now, let me say a few things about each on them.

1. The Creator:
    The Creator, is nothing more than a “first cause” to existance (which i’m hoping to replace by answering the qurstion "Why is there anything at all rather than nothing ? in the near future).

This so called “Creator” whould be the only “god” actually situated outside of time; Now take a second and think what that means… “Outside of time”
There was a task in my recent philosophy exam… where i had to create my own conception about time and present it in a coherent argument. Which is what i did, considering my paper was a 10 (on a scale from 1 to 10).
And it goes like this:
Time is not a universal constant; Time is influenced by velocity; The only real constant abiding by the laws of nature is the speed of light; (Why did i say abiding ? Well because soon enough we might find a way to trick those laws and move faster…)

So what i time… i asked myself in the middle of my exams and after starting with a little Einstein… i remembered Plato… who’s “perfect idea” about time was “eternity”. But do remember what Plato said about his “idea world”… It’s eternal, it doesn’t change and has always been there.
Now while i appreciate his line of thought i still don’t agree 100% with him.
Here’s what i said:

Time is 3 things: Becoming, Transformation and Movement.
This can be observed from the first nanosecond of the Big Bang; There can be no change, no movement, and no thinking without time.

So, for the Creator to be situated “outside of time” that means he cannot move, he cannot change and he cannot think.
HE IS PRECISELY AS UNCHANGEABLE AS PLATO’S IDEA WORLD.
He then becomes less than a creator… he is a mere principle.
This god clearly doesn’t care about anything we humans do… and i would be surprised if he even knows we exist.

When you open the bible, and when you look between each page, God is not hiding there like a dead leaf.

Theistic arguments can easily ignore all religion and simply ask:
Is there a vastly superior being which exists somewhere within reality? Probably.

1. The Biblical God

I hate this guy, along with the fundamentalist… the most.
The bible is gibberish… translated for more than what ? 4000 years ? written by people who knew so little about the natural world that they thought the earth was flat ?

But AH !.. from here stems the real problem at hand… THE CHURCH… the church as an institution.
The biblical god says:
Worship me or you will burn forever.
The priest says:
Give me money and i’ll put in a good word for you.

The bible… and The Biblical God are the object of politics, mass-manipulation, blind faith, and so on…
It is one of the most despicable god there is.
I seriously doubt G. Bush is a religious person… i really doubt that; and i don’t think Blair is either…
But here they are, especially Bush, using religion to justify everything they do. And not only justify it… but also hold on to their jobs.
How can an atheist be elected president in the US. How can anyone be elected president there if they’re not Christians ?

I condemn the Church as an institution for its crimes agains humanity.