Has Moderate Islam Done Enough?

Well…when one looks back at history occupying powers which have been successful did allow religious tolerance (which we have not) and have supported the building far greater financially. I am offended you would say we are a generation of victims that shows a rather hasty overgeneralization of the youths. People whose actions have caused anguish and pain are to blame. Not only is it the Arabic Islamic terrorist people but the “powerful, the majority, and the white heterosexual Christian males”. Because if it weren’t for either parties one would not have reason to be contentious with the other. As for the “race card” that is a bad choice of words simply because this is a discussion about religion.

One last thing the idea that the “race card” is pulled is something someone who has a very closed mind would say. I am a biracial male and have recieved some racially driven hatred, but I do not pull the “card” unless when it is obvious. Even then I don’t blame the individual I blame the ignorance just as much as I blame you for your statement.

edited for double post.

I agree with the spending and the religious tolerance, but so far we haven’t banned any religion in Iraq. It remains a dominant Muslim country.

we have and we haven’t at the same time. I know this sounds weird but often the Muslim nations are run by a theocracy and we removed the powerful religious figures from office. I am not entirely sure of what the Qu’ran says but I do believe its that the holy people should lead the rest of the people…I don’t agree with it in the least (blatantly in favor of non-secular gov’t). But people are often so stuck in there ways any change is a massive attack according to them. The true diplomatic ideal would be to at least create a gov’t which you could control…but we all know how the U.S.'s coups have gone.

No gov’t that’s set up by another gov’t will be perfect. The worst part for me is sectarian violence. Whenever it’s happened in history I think what a stupid thing it is. Both groups ( the Kurds are mostly doing thier own thing) want peace and a stable gov’t but the insurgents are working hard to take two allies and make them enemies.

This is an interesting article. I don’t agree with some of his statements but he’s getting at the same idea I tried to touch upon. You might even be able to send you response to him in an email, regular mail would be better becuase it shows you care more and is less likely to be thrown away.

latimes.com/news/opinion/sun … ay-opinion

Five questions non-Muslims would like answered
By Dennis Prager, Dennis Prager's nationally syndicated radio show is heard daily in Los Angeles on KRLA-AM (870). He may be contacted through his website: [dennisprager.com](http://www.dennisprager.com).
November 13, 2005

THE RIOTING IN France by primarily Muslim youths and the hotel bombings in Jordan are the latest events to prompt sincere questions that law-abiding Muslims need to answer for Islam's sake, as well as for the sake of worried non-Muslims.

Here are five of them:

(1) Why are you so quiet?

Since the first Israelis were targeted for death by Muslim terrorists blowing themselves up in the name of your religion and Palestinian nationalism, I have been praying to see Muslim demonstrations against these atrocities. Last week's protests in Jordan against the bombings, while welcome, were a rarity. What I have seen more often is mainstream Muslim spokesmen implicitly defending this terror on the grounds that Israel occupies Palestinian lands. We see torture and murder in the name of Allah, but we see no anti-torture and anti-murder demonstrations in the name of Allah.

There are a billion Muslims in the world. How is it possible that essentially none have demonstrated against evils perpetrated by Muslims in the name of Islam? This is true even of the millions of Muslims living in free Western societies. What are non-Muslims of goodwill supposed to conclude? When the Israeli government did not stop a Lebanese massacre of Palestinians in the Sabra and Chatilla refugee camps in Lebanon in 1982, great crowds of Israeli Jews gathered to protest their country's moral failing. Why has there been no comparable public demonstration by Palestinians or other Muslims to morally condemn Palestinian or other Muslim-committed terror?

(2) Why are none of the Palestinian terrorists Christian?

If Israeli occupation is the reason for Muslim terror in Israel, why do no Christian Palestinians engage in terror? They are just as nationalistic and just as occupied as Muslim Palestinians.

(3) Why is only one of the 47 Muslim-majority countries a free country?

According to Freedom House, a Washington-based group that promotes democracy, of the world's 47 Muslim countries, only Mali is free. Sixty percent are not free, and 38% are partly free. Muslim-majority states account for a majority of the world's "not free" states. And of the 10 "worst of the worst," seven are Islamic states. Why is this?

(4) Why are so many atrocities committed and threatened by Muslims in the name of Islam?

Young girls in Indonesia were recently beheaded by Muslim murderers. Last year, Muslims — in the name of Islam — murdered hundreds of schoolchildren in Russia. While reciting Muslim prayers, Islamic terrorists take foreigners working to make Iraq free and slaughter them. Muslim daughters are murdered by their own families in the thousands in "honor killings." And the Muslim government in Iran has publicly called for the extermination of Israel.

(5) Why do countries governed by religious Muslims persecute other religions?

No church or synagogue is allowed in Saudi Arabia. The Taliban destroyed some of the greatest sculptures of the ancient world because they were Buddhist. Sudan's Islamic regime has murdered great numbers of Christians.

Instead of confronting these problems, too many of you deny them. Muslims call my radio show to tell me that even speaking of Muslim or Islamic terrorists is wrong. After all, they argue, Timothy McVeigh is never labeled a "Christian terrorist." As if McVeigh committed his terror as a churchgoing Christian and in the name of Christ, and as if there were Christian-based terror groups around the world.

As a member of the media for nearly 25 years, I have a long record of reaching out to Muslims. Muslim leaders have invited me to speak at major mosques. In addition, I have studied Arabic and Islam, have visited most Arab and many other Muslim countries and conducted interfaith dialogues with Muslims in the United Arab Emirates as well as in the U.S. Politically, I have supported creation of a Palestinian state and supported (mistakenly, I now believe) the Oslo accords.

Hundreds of millions of non-Muslims want honest answers to these questions, even if the only answer you offer is, "Yes, we have real problems in Islam." Such an acknowledgment is infinitely better — for you and for the world — than dismissing us as anti-Muslim.

We await your response. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the author brings up many valid ideas but he appears to neglect some of the faults of humanity such as; cowardice, antiquity, and apathy.

1.) When the Inquisition was occuring did the good Christians step up and say anything about the injustices which were occuring? And if they did would it have made a difference? Mind you the main target for this Inquisitions were the Moors aka Muslims which occupied parts of Spain. Also I know alot of bad has happened to the Judaic population of the world, but there actions still allow the segregation of Palestinians but even to kill them.

2.)With all due respect this point is laughable. One small facet of the world he uses Palestine to say there are no Christian terrorists. Let’s just neglect the slaughter of innocents all over the span of time and land in the name of a “silly man-written book”.

3.)Muslim nations are established to be a theocracy. Granted I don’t like the secular-governmental facet in the least but different folks from different folks. Democracy cannot function in every nation. Much like Nietzche said about how cultures can outgrow God some nations are slower to develop.

4.)Once again you can scan the history books and see atrocities commited by every religion/ethnic group/ etc. Islam is a relatively newer religion and I believe over time the face of Islam will change, they will become a far more modern religion but as for now…well it is what it is and nothing more.

5.)This is perhaps the weakest point. Sad to say it but only the ideal utopian quality nations would be beyond it. European nations have problems with religions still and they are IMO far more advanced than the US.

I certainly respect the man’s effort to understand the religion and minds of Islam…but I think he is attempting to project his desired qualities upon others. The first thing a man is, is just that; a man. Full of insecurity , temptation, and faults describes the typical man. Time will shape the men and religion of Islam but until the time is done it is what it is.

In the Inquisition the majority of the people were supportive of it and only a minority would oppose it. However, becuase “Islam is a religion of peace and only a small minority of extremists support and commit these acts” the current situation is completely different from the Inquisition. If the majority of Muslims really do oppose Islamic terrorism how come this majority of people haven’t held mass rallies to condemn these actions instead of burning and bombing over cartoons.

He’s not saying that there aren’t any Christian terrorists. When there are terrorists in this day and age who strike soley for Christianity the gov’t of that person and Christians condemn the persons action and make sure that the world knows. His point is that if the real cause for anti-Israeli violence is the occupation and not the fact that they are Muslims and they are targeting Jews then any Palistinian will be just as likely to attack Israel as the next Palistinian.

So you are using that as an exuse to justify killings in the name of Allah?

What a piss-poor arguement. You’re going to pardon Muslim violence based soley on the fact that Islam is a couple of hundred years newer than Christianity and Judaism. So, when will it become unnaceptable for Muslims to kill in the name of thier religion? Why not right now? By allowing them to get away with this we are sending them the message that they’re exused from the standards that we must uphold. This will only slow their change to a moderate religion becuase you’ve taken thier side.

Ha! You missed his point completely. Of course there will always be some sort of “discrimination.” HOWEVER, the discrimination that the author is talking about is the type that is gov’t policy formed by a theocracy. Saudi Arabia, the Taliban and Iran are perfect examples. The USA and European nations don’t specifically forbid synagogues, temples, mosques and shrines from existing. There are more Muslim theocracies with policies as such than there are Christian or Jewish theocracies.

I guess we’ll all just have to wait around through the bombs and bloodshed while Islam matures. :unamused: He’s trying to force his desired qualities, but that of the world. What person would not like to see theocracies dissappear, freedom of religion and the end of religious justified violence. Those are the only things he’s asking for. The largest problem is that most people dodge the questions by pointing out Christian mistakes and justifying Muslim violence instead of admitting that Islam is messed up.

Hundreds of millions of non-Muslims want honest answers to these questions, even if the only answer you offer is, “Yes, we have real problems in Islam.” Such an acknowledgment is infinitely better — for you and for the world — than dismissing us as anti-Muslim.