human identity: the machine in the ghost?

When we are confused, lost and disempowered the angels will ask us to say our name. That’s sufficient for purposes of identity and to restore a sense of who we are. An identity-less person is a person who may have no culture, who has lost his memory, or some other calamity like disempowerment. There’s no other meaning to the word identity. You want to make a mystery out of the commonplace.

Is there another way of going my way other than it is I who am going it?

Is that the machine in you talking? Or do you pay someone to think this stuff up?

You cannot know the state when you are in it, since knowledge requires thought and you ruled out the existence of thought in that state. So the knowledge of that state has to occur after it ceases to be i.e when you remember it. Any “demand” for it is necessarily a product of thought. Unless it is some drug induced state, the very demand will have to prevent the recurrance of the state.

Whether it controls thought or not is not relevant. Since the “real self” is absent when thought is present, every attempt to communicate anything about the “real self”, such as what you are doing, is a product of thought and not anything about the “real self” itself, unless you can claim you are in that state when typing the sentences and the words are not product of thought, but somehow coming from a thoughtless state.

When happiness occurs, it is being recognized or witnessed as happiness. That’s an experience. That’s all there is to it.

When there is no thought, how can the mind experience anything? How can you experience anything when there is no thought? Without mind, there is no experience.

It may be claimed that in a moment of contentment or satisfaction – for instance when a strong desire has just been fulfilled – there is no thought containing a further desire or aversion – and that’s what is meant by “thought free.” But, if you were in a thoughtless state, you’d be dead.

A lot of people say they have been in a thoughtless state; they have experienced the total absence of thought. Those people were kidding themselves. How can you experience a state in which there is no thought? In any experience, thought is very much there.

Why? If thought tells you there is something more interesting, more meaningful to do than what you are presently doing it will try to solve that ‘problem’ by making comparisons between the knowledge of past pleasures and pains and the present. It will pass judgments and in the process avoid the present by concocting a future and pursuing it. But for the comparisons that thought makes there is no problem with our ‘real’ life as it is; and there is no other life. That’s what I mean when I say that it’s precisely our thought of a better state that prevents us from coming to terms with life as it is.