Hume was an idiot

Well, now only Von can make himself look better.
I’ve played my cards. I have little left to say until i see something new.

Ah, I see what your problem is.

You’re confusing the definition of “good” between the integrity of an object and proper usage of an object.

If everyone in the group were a bunch of gym rats, then there wouldn’t be multiple options to keep time for a single watch.

anon,

I have never said anything like that. In fact, I’ve said explicitly many times that there may be many solutions to any given problem, in any given situation.

Honestly, I really have no idea what you’re talking about. It sounds like it has absolutely nothing to do with anything I’ve ever said.

I am very clearly a pragmatist. I’ve said so many times, and as far as I can tell, everything I’ve said is consistent with that. It’s been very clear that I think there is no essential distinction between prudence and morality. And that’s part in parcel of thinking there’s no essential distinction between ‘oughts’ and ‘is’. ‘Oughts’—that is, value judgements—just are facts about what’s good for the kind of creature that you are.

Really, I don’t know what I’m supposed to answer to. There seems to be some pretty seriously egregious misunderstandings of what I’ve said, on your part. And I don’t see how it’s my fault.

No, quite clearly not. Everything is context-dependent. That’s not the same as thinking that everything is subjective.

In that case, words need to be useful more-so than they need to be perfectly logical or artisitically said.
If your ideas would not have a problem with what I’ve said, non-constraining, then I would think you have to be a pragmatist or something similar to a pragmatist.

I tried to explain pragmatic method, compared to perfectionist method, or absolutist method.
I made a new thread because of it also, that true names thread.

Well, one may agree or disagree with him. Personally, i do not agree with him on many accounts.

But, this does not give us liberty to call him an idiot. That is not justified by any means.

On the contrary, most of the credit of the rise of the science goes to him and we would not be in the same state of the technological development as of now. Because, he pulled science out of the shadow of the philosophy and enabled science to grow on its own.

Having said that, as i see it, he is single most responsible person for the present mitigated status of the philosophy as it has been become the slave of the science instead of its mother.

with love,
sanjay

I don’t think this works because wer’e talking about morality, and a watch isn’t even a moral agent where morality applies. Furthermore you are i think confounding the meaning of moral good with evaluative good (eg a good book). It’s not morality bad to write a bad book.

And finally even if the points above wouldn’t be convincing, you can’t just apply the same reasoning to humans as you did with watches. Watches are created by man with a clear purpose in mind. Unless you think humans are also created by a creator god with a purpose, the analogy fails.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182625&p=2410258&hilit=+von#p2410258

For context, that’s just one post in a short discussion where I claimed that you’re emphasis on correct actions (thou shalt) rather than the traditional disallowed actions (thou shalt not…) is wacky. When I asked for clarification that you say there is a correct action in any situation, you agreed. My point is that “moral” behavior is an art, not a math problem to solve. So you say there isn’t necessarily one correct answer. Well that can apply to math problems too. My criticism is the same either way - this approach to morality is impoverished and leads to a meaner world.

Well said, Diekon. It’s pretty straightforward.

Yeah but see, you are allready qualifying the statement with “if not for a greater benefit”. Pain is only a factor and in series of things that would matter for a morality. I don’t think Hume would say that what ‘is’ can have no bearing at all on what ‘should be done’, but only that one can’t directly deduce it for what ‘is’. It not that simple, e.g. pain → ought.

Also let’s not forget the context Hume was operating in, he was responding to a lineage of philosophers who tried to deduce whole moral systems from what is, from God. I suspect it was for an foremost this method he objected to.

(and sorry for not responding earlier, i have no internet for a few days, and i likely won’t be able to respond for the next couple of days.)

Thanks Anon!

So? What does that matter?

I think I agree with that.

You say that, but you don’t explain why. I’m telling you that I feel pain and immediately know I want to avoid it. I think that’s the case for most, if not all, people. The only reason I can fathom for inviting pain is to lead to some greater pleasure later on.

Ingesting poison causes human beings to suffer, therefore I ought not feed you poison. Now, if you can prove that the suffering caused by feeding you poison leads to some greater benefit in the end, I’d have to take that into consideration. It really is that simple.

You’re exactly right Diekon. Just as a watch is just one factor in a series of things that matter for telling the time, “pain is only a factor and in series of things that would matter for a morality”. The presence or absence of pain does not and should not determine good behavior.

Also, to von’s point that a watch that doesn’t tell time isn’t a watch… if it’s not a watch then there is nothing to say it ought to tell the time! According to von’s own logic, that is. A watch ought to do what a watch ought to do. If it’s not a watch, I guess the jury’s out on what it ought to do. And though I think the jury’s out on what anything ought to do (it’s always an open situation), my point is that von’s entire “a watch ought to tell time” argument here reduces to “a watch tells time”, which is to say that nothing is being said. Rather than deriving an ought from an is, he has simply redefined “ought” as meaning the same thing as “is”.

Typical gut reaction and moral ought aren’t the same thing.

Explain why not. Keep in mind that I never said pain alone determines good behavior. Pain needs to be weighed against potential benefit. I will say that I take suffering to be the primary measure.

I’m not saying they are. I’m saying the gut reaction informs the morality. The gut reaction needs to be weighed against potential benefits as well, so I’m not trying to tell you that your gut is always right. Maybe it’s worth enduring a negative gut reaction for some greater pleasure to your gut later on.

“Why not” is a long conversation. In the thread von linked I talked at length about my position. But it doesn’t really matter what my position is, what matters is that ought can’t be rationally determined from is. Of course gut reaction informs morality. Moral stances don’t just fall out of the sky.

I don’t see the point in making statements like that unless, or until, you’re prepared to explain yourself.

Ingesting poison causes human beings to suffer, therefore I ought not feed you poison. Now, if you can prove that the suffering caused by feeding you poison leads to some greater benefit in the end, I’d have to take that into consideration. Explain to me why that is not a rational determination based on what is.

What do you mean you don’t see what the point is? What’s so difficult about “logic doesn’t lead to the necessary conclusion that suffering should be avoided”?

“Ingesting poison causes human beings to suffer, therefore I ought not feed you poison” involves no logic. The “therefore” in that sentence isn’t a logical “therefore”. It’s ok - the world doesn’t fall apart without this logical connection.

Nothing in the world, indicates how to compare the pain and pleasure. Nothing says how much suffering you ought to endure to gain a particular benefit. The world says neither that you should endure a pain to get a pleasure nor that you should avoid the pain and forgo the pleasure.

I mean anyone can make statements without supporting them. I don’t see the point, especially here. Also, that logic doesn’t lead to a single, necessary conclusion doesn’t mean that logic can’t be used to support a particular conclusion.

You didn’t ask me to construct a syllogism, and I’m not particularly good at doing that. All I’m doing is deriving an ought from an is. You know, like we’ve been discussing.

That pain is to be avoided is axiomatic. That’s literally what pain tells you—to avoid what you’re doing.