If a vegan eats a venus fly trap?

Yes… as they are animals. Only in old Christianity, and even only then in terms of seafood in relationship to monastic fasting, are shrimp considered NOT animals… and good for the eating- whereas other meat is off limits.

Shrimp have legs, eyes, and a body with vessels in it, and can reproduce monogamously as well as in polygamous circumstance in some waters. Don’t appear to be a munch of plankton if you ask me.

youtube.com/watch?v=ktIGVtKd … r_embedded

I love the cliffhanger in this video- will the frog exploit the plant and eat the insects before they fall in, or will the clever frog fall and and be eaten itself?

Ok cows, horses and other grazers are not vegan/vegitarian , they can’t be because they consume insect bodies as they munch their grass or leaves etc. I deal with hay everyday. I find dried insects in every bale. then as they graze out in the fields they are consuming insects and small rodents such as moles etc. Wait til you spy a crunched mole carcass in horse feces… It makes you think. they do not eat the rodents everyday or even maybe once a week but, once in their mouths along with a grassy mouthful that rodent or bug is consumed.

Oh yea, if a vegan eats a fly trap then they are consuming meat protiens. The plant does not spit out the carcasses, they are slowly dissolved by acids. Also a vegan that utilizes animal manure to grow plants is not a strict vegan either. They can’t be. Oh and tofu is allowed to have animal hair and parts and insect parts in it. Its something like one or two parts per million I think. It could be more, I can’t remember. I just know learning that little fact made me laugh along time ago.

So, and insect is considered to be ‘meat’ protein… Thank you, That’s all I wanted to know. :smiley: (Honey, If the Claybornes are coming for supper, scrub the fried grubs and the chocolate covered ants!)

Yep until governments require processed or fresh food plants or farms to actually sterilize completely, we all eat poop, meat and other things you don’t want to think about, even organic fresh vegies… You do realize that birds , rodents, etc. defecate urinate and vomit, die in those fields… etc etc. It all becomes absorbed… Yep, yep. we are omnivores, that is the healthiest thing to do and to be in denial of what we are actually consuming… that saves us from vomiting… :smiley: :smiley:

I will take that under advisement.

I don’t know whether or not I owe anything to Socrates, but I do know that he is not in a position to care if he doesn’t get what is owed him.

The ethics of both vegans and vegetarians stem from the mistreatment of animals by humans not natures natural cycles which are generally in harmony with the ecosystem. If humans only ate food that they had hunted or foraged and did so in a manner that did not mistreat, deplete or destroy species, then I’m sure they would not be so ardent about the matter.

Eats his bowl of country fried chicken quietly in order to not be noticed by anybody within the thread.

Thanks for sharing damnit , now I am hungry. I do love cold fried chicken and cold rare steak.

Hi guys-
I’ll try to say the truth as I
see it in another way.

Say your body is your car.
Gasoline with additive A has been proven to
shorten engine life by 50%.
Gasoline with no additive A is harder to find, but
your car never has problems.
Which do you do?

Putting certain fats into your system
short-circuits the body’s immune system (we’re
already five words into a IMO).
I think that your own cholesterol
is the only kind supposed to be floating
around and coating the various proteins
as they come and go. Otherwise, it gives a free
pass to viruses, etc, to move through cell membranes.

Just an IMO.

:smiley:

john

Sorry if i stop taking preservatives and fats i will fall aprt and dry up. my body would go into shock, it would be hideous, next thing that you will tell me is to stop drinking coffee and beer and to stop smoking… Nope, I don’t like going into shock…

The question seems to have been answered. If a vegan eats a venus fly trap, with or without a trapped fly, s/he is eating animal protein since the fly-trap contains/retains all the remnants of the insect/animal it’s eaten–even when the insect/animal has been digested by the plant. Iow, the plant has no way of excreting the remnants of its food.

If this is so, a vegan can’t eat a venus fly trap because, in doing so, the vegan is, in fact, eating what’s left of the animal life the plant has eaten.

This is still a silly thread. (John, do your silly walk again.)

Would anyone, vegan or not, really want to eat a venus fly-trap? I mean, if you’re starving, would it make any difference whether or not you were vegan?

hmm, get rid of the acids in it and sure why not, it may have a nice nutty meaty flavor. You want me to send you some? They are on a federal endangered list but, I know where they grow close to here. You have to take the rap if we get caught with them. :smiley:

Excess carbohydrates are converted into fat in your body so if you stopped eating fat it wouldn’t matter, unless you were starving yourself. Vegans get their fats purely from plant material. There’s not a lot of things unless they are refined that contain no fat.

It’s recently been found that unless you have pre-existing heart conditions, coffee has all sorts of health benefits. Why your body would go into shock if you stopped taking any of them is beyond me though, unless you mean suffering withdrawal symptoms?

Well since in farming all sorts of things die in fields and rot into their constituents you’re ultimately never going to find a food that is not exposed to some animal constituents.

Quite its a non issue since vegans don’t object on the grounds that plants might naturally contain something from an animal. They object to intensive farming methods or just the killing of animals by us for food etc.

Nope. Starving or not it would not matter to a vegan.

I personally don’t look at the angle of animal proteins, but the lives that are lost. Farming kills many more animals than grazing animals do. A farm of 40 cows kills 40 cows, but sustains a ecosystem with wild birds and moles and other critters.

A farm rips up the soil, kills the worms in the process. Crop rotation destroys the ecosystem, and anti-parasite measures, in both genetically modified but especially organic (genetically modified crops are less likely to be effected) food kills countless insects and bacterial life.

A field of lettuce is a verifiable killing field. Not just within it’s boarders, but also what it must exterminate from WITHOUT trying to naturally coming within it, such as new seedlings as well as creatures such as locust or mice. Cows don’t give a fuck about a locus swarm, if they are the grass, the cows eat the locus.

If the world became vegetarian, especially organic, civilization would very quickly come to a halt as incredible locust horde and similar pests such as crickets would come to dominate. It would lead to massive die offs and famine times.

Not to mention ALL the current stock animals would have to be executed anyways. It not like we can return all the cows and pigs on planet earth back to Iraq, and all the chickens to China (though I think the chinese would be willing to accept that challenge had have a decades worth of refrigerated chicken in stock) to live in their original habitat, much less expect them to survive.

No, the human thing to do is to eat the piggies. Do you think anyone did the piggies favors in Islam when pork eating was banned? No- they went extinct. This is the logic of vegan kindness.

I also recommend people stop trying to prematurely end a question before it hit maturity. Your world view or expectations of completion isn’t the same as others. What you see to be a island near completely explored is the beginnings of a continent of inquiry to me. We’ve just begun to scratch at the underlining basis of a categorical imperative here, and what it’s implications are universally to theories of ethics and morality.

I suspect we will find in the years to come this will be the most hotly debated topic here on this site- books shall be written on it, careers will be made and lost from it. It’s the beckoning challenge of 21st century philosophy. Stop looking back to the 20th, look forward… forward… forward! We must always be forward bound… save for when we walk backwards in a forward direction, in which case it’s okay to turn your back on the goal.

Calrid, think humor.

I was joking, actually the only problems would be my family if I kicked bad habits. They may have issues with my temper. :laughing: :laughing:

Oh I get that I just can’t resist being a smart ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: Your smart assedness is rather dry. I will keep it in mind. All of this would be solved if we went Soylent…Odd they used green for humans. :laughing: