Jazz ~ anyone into it, know about it…

Or somewhere between, …I find sax to be very relaxing, where a trumpet is rather brash.

Not that I don’t appreciate you chaps knowledge, I am enjoying that. Yet naturally there is a common ‘sax sound’ that we all know, as opposed to all the variations of the instrument.

perhaps we are equally argumentative :mrgreen:

Lol, perhaps indeed.

But to me, it seems as bad of a missconception to claim that there is one sax which has the “representative sax sound” to claim that there is one heavy metal distortion that is the “representative distorted guitar sound.”

K: More about Ken Burns? More about Jazz? More about Miles? More about me? (doubtful)

Pezer: More about jazz. I am but a doltish young 'un, and I would love to hear what an old timer has to say about jazz.

K: Unlike the crowd here, I don’t like Coltrane. His “love Supreme” irks the hell out of me. As a sideman to MILES, he
was pretty good, but his solo stuff just doesn’t do it for me.
I like pre-WW one jazz especially Armstrong. “West end blues” is great.
Early and I mean early, Duke Ellington, is worth a listen to.
The big bang era isn’t really that bad, once you lose the idea that your parents, well in your case grandparents, listen to it.
Billy holiday was the bomb. Listen to “Strange Fruit” and realise it was about lynching.

One really off idea is to listen to Steely Dan because their stuff is really jazz tint rock, the 70’s stuff,their album “Asia”
for example.

Now I happen to like earl klugh and bob James but they are acquired taste and not everybody
likes that stuff.

Kropotkin

If you can find a good internet jazz radio station, your jazz education is in good hands.

The Spirit can be found within the jazz section of iTunes. They play the tunes, and then tell you what they played, so you can identify what you like and what you don’t.

timhodges.net/SPIRIT/index1.html

radioshowlinks.com/internet_ … 19829.aspx

If you want sax jazz try Stan Getz, not Coltrane. Stan Getz is much more accessible. I’ve never heard anything of his I didn’t like.

Here’s a nice Stan Getz. This is with Chick Corea - another name that is a guide to quality. Corea has played with a lot of top musicians, and has written a lot of material that is widely played.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFuPGlCVhL0[/youtube]

Liking stan getz. :sunglasses:

I realise that my attempt to find a comparative with the sax on the hazel o’connor track was deeply flawed. jazz just isn’t anything like that, indeed what’s so good about it is its freedom.

Thanks for the links typist.

peter

Yea some of what I’ve been hearing is from that era, or at least pre WW2. that’s what I meant by ‘pure jazz’.

Ditto.

awesome thread Quetz

Thanks, awesome subject! :slight_smile: The more jazz I hear the more I realise its been a massive aspect to my listening experience, its just in so many other areas of music.

EDIT - I had made a good point, but I didn’t want to derail this thread. Keep the jazz coming!

For instance, does anybody know of any good jazz that uses violins like Sugar Cane Harris?

two albums just came to mind. Thelonious Monk, “straight, no chaser” and
the single greatest jazz album of all time, period. Miles Davis " Kind of blue".

Of jazz violinist, three come to mind: Stephane Grappalli, Jean-luc Pointy and Noel Pointer.

Kropotkin

thanks ^^

I was going to ask what people think are the best albums itho.

Yea I was watching a documentary last night which featured; Miles Davis " Kind of blue".
I think that will be the first album I buy.

Top tens anyone? And why, what is the main or featured instrument, …if you like.

I postulate The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings from John Coltrane. My favourite 'trane song of all times is there: India.

Thanks, sounds great. :slight_smile:

top ten?

Kinda like Jazz, kinda have to. When it’s done well, well the greatest musicians can play jazz what can I say, few can/

But beware pretentiousness, free form Jazz can be good, but if it’s too free and too of no form it’s just noise.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebUMhJAKSM[/youtube]

“you can’t run from the law, you see what I’m saying baby?”

“So what tune are you playing Jackson?”

“Tune this is Jazz!”

:laughing:

And hey now boy, don’t forget the blues.

Lols at the fast show interpretation of jazz! :laughing:

Yea that defines everything I don’t like about interpretative or expressive and free jazz done wrongly. Not that I don’t applaud the sentiment though, in music a mass of craziness creates a few moments of genius.

Still I like pure jazz, and very rarely interpretations of it.

Blues is cool too yes of course, but it moves more into what we’d now call popular music, whereas jazz is kinda its own thing, as different to other genre’s as say classical music.

Jazz is kinda like my philosophy, it just kinda happens without rhyme or reason to its basis. :banana-explosion: :happy-hippy: :music-headbanger: :music-guitarred:

I like this one…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1UHOnYTrbI[/youtube]

Do you know what album that comes from?

Nice how well jazz moves with flowing water.

No idea. It’s miles davis and cannonball alderly. I also like pretty much anything frmo thelonius monk. wynton marsallis is playing in my city in the next couple of weeks, and I can’t get a single motherfucker to go.

Just bought my first three jazz albums, thanks guys for helping me get started…
All digitally remastered

Miles Davis; Kind Of Blue

John Coltrane; Blue Train [Rudy Van Gelder Edition]

Breaking Out of New Orleans 1922-1929 various artists.

:slight_smile:

I kinda have a way of testing good music, my dawg [dog]. He seems to know good music, he loved; kind of blue, but when I put ‘breaking out’ [as above] on, his ears kept twitching ~ I think to him its like a great dane chasin’ a bunch or terriers ‘roun the place. :laughing:

liking bleugrass also right now.