I dunno. In the Old Testament God is a bit of an asshole. The Buddah’s teachings are far more practical in the here an now than many of Christs as portrayed in the Bible.

I wouldn’t know anything about that. All I know is there is only one source and I hardly think we can arrive at that conclusion by studying scripture.

This is debateable. There are a couple of books on the subject, not sure I would use them as proof of my statement, so I withdraw it.

You’re twisting my words. I never made a value judgement. I simply suggested something out of the box. I personally hold Christianity and Buddhism in the same light.

A

Uniqor, I have to give my response some thought, I’ll get back to you.

A

Thanks Bob.

A

Hi Iron Dog,

Where did you get this little ditty from? Remember what I said about sources?

Shalom

Karma, does not create a status quo, everything happens for a reason yes, but as individuals we are responsible for the energy we use. If we do negative things, negative things return so not only can we learn from them but balance the energy that was misused. Likewise if we send out positive energy that will return to us as well. Karma is being made every day with every thought and every choice we make. The biggest problem with people that do not like the idea of karma is the fact that it makes one persnally responsible for what happens in their lives.

Kar’ma n. the totality of a persons’ actions.

That’s the cake without any frosting. Choose your own flavor of frosting, put sprinkles, chocolate curls, lemon zest, anything your heart desires…

JT

Interesting… I’ve never thought of “karma” this way before, but your definition has propelled me to think of karma as another way of discussing the “event” of human life, a person as an interconnected, constantly unfolding event, not as a solid, ossified being that is impervious to the continuum of energy.

Or perhaps that is just chocolate with a scoop of nuts.

Hi Noos,

You’ve cut to the core. There is nothing in the known universe that, no matter how small the divisions, ever becomes a ‘thing’. Further, the closer we look, we see that this pattern cannot be seperated from its’ environment. It is inextricably ‘connected’ in myriad interactions that both defines itself and all that is. Are we an event? Yes, a ‘particularness’, a unique pattern with a becoming and returning, caught up in the dance with all else.

Of course, this is all very mystical to the unseeing who demand things with edges and boundaries, but events we are.

Chocolate with a scoop of nuts? OK, I’ll buy that. But probably because I’m hungry, and dinner is a bit away… :smiley:

JT

Your understanding made me think of this…

Once he asked him: “Have you also learned from the river the secret that there is not time?”

A bright smile came over Vasudeva’s face. “Yes, Siddhartha,” He said. “This is probably what you mean: that the river is everywhere at once - at its source, at its mouth, by the waterfall, by the ferry crossing, in the rapids, in the sea, in the mountains - everywhere at the same time. And that for it there is only the present, not the shadow called the future.”

“That’s it,” said Siddhartha. “And when I learned that, I looked at my life, and it too was a river; and the boy Siddhartha and the man Siddhartha and the old man Siddhartha were only separated by shadows, not by anything real. Siddhartha’s previous births were also not a past, and his death and return to Brahma were not a future. Nothing was, nothing will be; everything is, everything has its being and is present.”

• Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

A

Sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you. I’ve thought and thought about this, all the while knowing that I wouldn’t be able to give you something to satisfy you. I almost didn’t make it up the hill on my bike tonight, I was too distracted.

The Truth that I refer to is the absolute truth. There is only One truth in the universe. It’s not really a combination of your truth and my truth and their truths, it’s more a kind of principle that exists within everything and anything that you can imagine. It’s the source of all things. It causes your heart to beat, it causes flowers to grow, the sun to shine, it causes day to become night and night to become day. It is the essence of all things, it is called Tao for want of another word. But Tao is just a word you see? There are other names for it - in the Bible it is called the Word - the Greeks called it Logos - I don’t know call it whatever you will. I’ll call it Tao. It is not the words that I respect although the words deserve respect as all things in the universe do. I heard of a man who would fold his soiled clothing as if it were clean - It’s called respect. So I respect the word Tao as much as I try to cultivate it’s essence.

You ask me what my belief system is. I have to say that it’s about cultivating this essence called Tao. I read Taoist scriptures because I have the affinity to do so, not because I’m a Taoist see? Affinity is a kind of karma. We have certain affinities for certain things because we have done it before. But understanding the Tao is more than being a Taoist. Knowing about our inherent Buddha nature is more than being a Buddhist. Enlightenment is not about being a Buddhist or a Christian, or a Taoist or whatever you’re into. It’s about aligning with the Tao. It’s about cultivating it in your heart so that the Tao is revealed inside of you, manifested in and around you.

How you ask? By observing your own behaviour, your thoughts, your intentions, your reactions (re-actions - karma is a sanscrit word, it means action), by stepping aside so that the Truth that is you, your true nature can be revealed. The Truth exists everywhere, all around, it is not confined to a belief system. Then you say, but how do you know what is true and what is not? I say let your conscience guide you. It is the greatest guide you can ask for. It always knows what you should do, where you should go, all you have to do is step aside and listen. The part of you that has to step aside is the part of you that is conditioned. Conditioned by our parents, our teachers, our friends, society…We go on living this life according to our conditioned responses, instead of allowing our true natures to master our lives.

We come to understand this essence, not by studying, reading (although this helps) but by applying, practicing, observing, moulding ourselves, becoming who we truly are inside. This takes courage, strength. The world will laugh at you, people will throw stones at you, it will hurt, but the pain is superficial. That which is truly yours cannot be taken away from you.

A

Perhaps your Karma is to confuse and annoy people with vague buzzings about, thus in your next incarnation I deem that you will return as a gnat.

I know this as being the Truth because my wisdom journey has foretold of this path. Do not worry though, because all things will and are and so they are part of the never-ending and omnipresent balance that is nature. Thus, the gnat is just as important as the MTV executive.

Monsieur Zenith

Half the part of being a good critic is describing what you believe is wrong. The second half requires explaining something constructive making the situation better in your opinion.

This, unfortunately, you don’t appear capable of doing. Liquidangel thought deeply on how to answer and describe her understandings. It was a very sincere post. You may disagree but as a human being, don’t you feel any respect at all for sincere efforts even if you disagree?

Begin a thread on how an atheist relates to “meaning” Maybe you reject it entirely as non-existent. This would at least be an attempt to begin something constructive on the Internet where language is the only means of communication.

But no, all you wish to do is ridicule a woman who, right or wrong, is being sincere and polite in her desire to communicate. But you cannot see this. Frankly, in my opinion, this is nothing but boorish behavior on your part which is no reflection on her but only on you.

Part of this thread was to discuss Karma.

I reported that I thought Karma was part of an oppressive political/cultural tradition. The concept is an invention.

When asked about this or really any of her beliefs Liquid just tends to say that “I know because I know” and that galls me to no end. I view it at best as empty-headed and at worst was a kind of guru hucksterism.

Such answers ensure that one never has to answer and always provides the upper hand. I am reminded of the double-speak used by many 70s politicians. One asks a question that then by the time the guy answers you have to go home and take a nap from the confusion.

Not much respect here.

M Z

As Jalal al-Din Rumi once said, “There is counterfeit gold because real gold exists.”

The very fact that ideas may be abused for political purpose doesn’t discount the possibility for ancient truths to be at their source. In order to prostitute, something must be capable of being prostituted. Some level of quality must be demeaned in order for prostitution to occur. If there is validity to the idea of karma, then its prostitution into political power is to be expected since it is the nature of our being to do just that.

You may discount intuition or this type of inner knowing as either imagination or hucksterism but there is a lot of material on record indicating somehow, by some form of “intuition” some disaster was to occur for example. How this happens is a thread of its own but sometimes a person is unable to say more then “I know because I know” since it’s true. I’m sorry but there are enough accounts of premonitions related to intuition to make such blanket accusations of empty-headedness and hucksterism absurd. The best we can do is to leave the question open with an honest “I don’t know.” This is not to say that self deception doesn’t exist but implies that self deception may exist as a natural degeneration of a human attribute we’ve lost contact with that some people are more sensitive to than others.

Nor open-mindedness.

Actually it is the religious or the mystic that has the closed mind.
Someone says, “hey I believe that I know the cosmic just because I do.”
Then, the religious person responds with, “Oh, ok.”
Soon after is Cool-Aid time.

That’s a closed mind not a skeptical free-thinking one.

MZ,

It might be useful if you did some homework. You are attempting to dismiss something you obviously haven’t taken the time to study. Superficial dismissal is easy, even popular, but is a sign of ignorance. Many find their truths and their way in the Eastern philosophies. Your easy dismissal isn’t serving your credibility very well.

JT

Actually, I (in my younger years) was quite a fan of eastern thought. This changed when I gained a fuller under of the implication of the philosophy. That’s what is by the way. MOst eastern ideas are not religions, although the Tao does has that flavor at times.

Saying “I know because I know” is stupid any way you cut it and is an easy form of lying.

Couldn’t agree more, but for you to suggest that those posting to this thread are engaged in such behavior is a bit over the top. You wanna’ play? Then be specific, ask specifically. Don’t throw blanket generalizations around and expect everyone to roll over and play dead.

JT

Hi

But my dear chap, the mystic doesn’t say, “hey I believe that I know the cosmic just because I do” - the mystic leads his life in his own assured way and communicates to those who want to listen. I wouldn’t have remained here if I hadn’t found people with open minds, albeit with different ideas than myself which makes a conversation interesting. Mystics like to read and listen, but of course also to communicate.

I agree with tentative, be specific in your comments and we will reply to them.

Shalom