Mohammed, Islam & Questions

Actually, this occured around 1050. Liberal thinkers in Islam were tortured or murdered during this time by fundamentalists. Muslims have been oppressing each other and others for centuries.

They need time to evolve into secularism like so many other faiths.

I actually agree with you. They were traders, slaves and a few pilgrims.

He did have contact and did hear their religious discussions, this is also proven. How often, or how much is not known.

Agreed, whether he is a false Prophet or real, unless he really pulled one on us.
[/quote]

As did many other religious prophets.

The Meccans were pagan and did persecute Muslims, similarly, the Romans persecuted Christians and Jews.

You are way off in that the Qur’an differs from the Torah big time. Read it and compare it to the Torah. The base is there, Adam, Eve, Creation, but it is not in chronological order and adds much regarding cranes, the moon, etc.

Sure there was, to create new faith in which he would control and dictate.

Hum, what is the law, half the booty goes to Mohammed. :evilfun:

You asked for it, but at the moment I am back at work. :evilfun: Here is the quick and dirty, he marries a very rich woman, granted she asked, Robert E. Lee did the same thing. He becomes prominent, but not promonent enough to his liking. Smark cookie thinks, has heard Christians and Jews discussing their faiths and he likes the balance more than the pagan chaos going on around him. Hum, how can I bring more stability to my world my life???Hum, I will create a new faith, a faith which I will dominate, and change the rules to please me and increast my following, booty and all those nice slave women to satisty my libido.

Reveletion, I will become a prophet.

Yes they did. Also, they helped in the overthrow of Spain.

He enslaved many, and had numerous concubines. Justice was second class citizenship for Jews.

Typical hypocrisy and greed. This practice became extinct in Judaism.

I really hate dictumes, “Must” :evilfun:

And demanded fealty, conversion or else second class citizenship or death.

[quote[Well, this is a claim that has an anchored assumption. All I would do is offer a new starting premise.[/quote]

Ah, like the Crusaders.

There you go again with the “musts” :evilfun:

Much of what you claim is in The Trouble With Islam

And many resemble Mormonism, polygamy, no alcohol, new revelations. this is not a long shot.

Ditto Mormonism.

Oh, Please, stop with the “must” and “shoulds.”

And occured in Christianity, Judaism, probably in many other faiths as well.

No, it still continues in Islam and very little punishment is exacted in Islamic countries.

And a woman has to provide three eye witnesses against a rapist. How often does a rapist rape with witnesses around?

Yes, in its heyday, the Islamic world provided more protections to women than the Christian Medieval Times.

I don’t know, Mormonism is growing very fast as well. Just because something is popular, the old lets jump on the bandwagon, does not make it right.

But in most of the current Islamic world, debate is usually met with fatwas and the name apostate.

Again, stop with the “musts,” “shoulds,” and “nots.” This alienate many educated individuals.

I challenge you to read The Trouble With Islam, have you the courage?

Also, I have asked two questions posted on two Islamic web sites, NO RESPONSE. In contrast I have asked similar questions on Jewish, Christian, Buddhist boards and have had several responses.

Why the secrecy??? :evilfun:

I think a worldwide flood is ludicrous, there were probably many LARGE floods as the ice age drew to a close, and the one they think the bible flood is from is the story of the flood of gilgamesh.

They’ve also found proof of a massive black sea flood, basically there was a massive rock damn blocking out the mediterenean from the black sea. It was about 200 ft lower than it’s modern level and they’ve found ruins on a plateau under the water.

The other place that experienced a massive flood that disproves the worldwide flood is the northwest united states. There was a massive ice damn in minnesota (lake missoula).

inthegorge.com/ice_age_floods.html

“At its greatest extent, Glacial Lake Missoula stretched eastward a distance of some 200 miles, essentially creating an inland sea.”

I’m sure there were other events that happened like this that were written into the cultural memory of every culture.

Hey, Skyth, you are entitled to your opinion, but do your have any valid scientific links to help enlighten me. I am an English/history person and my recent link to science stems from the National Geographic.

I am really asking.

Yes, I have read reading this, but the sediments found regarding the world wide flood stem from similar sediments found in a particular layer of earth, like the Morrison layer differs from other fossil find layers. I am unclear as I am not a geographer or geologist.

Can you provide a link, I really do not know and am asking.

inthegorge.com/ice_age_floods.html

Okay, I will take a look, but does it disprove the worlwide flood? I will peruse this tomorrow. I am drawing from a geography fieldtrip class I took into Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and what the professor said. No, he was not religious at all.

Ah, yes, but I am talking about a significant layer in the earth’s sediment.

Thanks for the link, I will read it tomorrow.

Smiles,

aspacia
a

think about it this way… remember that the world used to be pangea… the land mass grew, oceans turned into deserts, deserts turned into oceans. There’s no doubt that the earth has been ravaged by water and the oceans have at one time or another covered large portions of it.

The problem is the oceans covering ALL of it. There’s simply not enough water. Not to mention the impossibility of every species on the planet now fitting on the cramped ark. with food and litter taken into account? impossible.

:smiley: Great point. I believe that Noah probably existed, but the man is the small kernal of truth in the legend. Similar to Hercules, Sampson, etc. Most legends have a small bit of fact to them.

I will have to research more regarding what the prof. told me as this is outside my discipline. :sunglasses: