One contradiction I can't wrap my head around, help me out!

regardless, it is clear that new religions come from somewhere, a parent religion or a parent tradition influences it. That was the only point I was trying to make, and why christianity (new testament) and what it came from (old testament and judaism) will be similar and somewhate different.

[/quote]

ha, I still have all my nerve endings . . . :laughing:

“You shoudnt hear what you want to hear” but i see from a topic i read of yours that you’re a master at doing that, maybe you havent seen a good arument because you’ve only seen what you wanted to see… that or you being stupid is also likely, i’d go with the latter becasue ive already seen that you are and very much so it seems.

i am beyong your comprehension, attemting to second guess me would be a waste of your time, you need all the time you can get to wisen up your foolish self.

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son … Then shall his father and his mother … bring him out unto the elders of his city … And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." Deuteronomy 21:18-21

I think you translated it literally. The method of punishment during that time was stoning to death. Maybe it means, if a man has a rebellious son, consult with the elders so that they may counsel(stone) him that he understands his rebelliousness and change (die). Death is a change, a transition.

From a topic you’ve read of mine? Explain please.

No…I really haven’t seen a good argument.

Are you calling me stupid? Do you not have any TOLERANCE?

You are ‘beyong’ my comprehension? Probably so if you can’t spell right.

MMM…delicious, statements with no evidence…a problem I see with you.

Thank you justly for over extending the reach of the word. Your doing one of the modern christian things I like to refer to as the “reach around”. Your digging so deep for an alternate, less violent meaning, that you ignore that deuteronomy was meant to be read literally… it’s not a fable, or a parable. It’s law.

SirSwedishMike,

"I think scythekain has got the best argument so far, trying to show that Jesus actually still followed jewish law. (since he was obviously a jew) "

Obviously. His disciples called him “rabbi”.

ned,

"I agree. Was there something I said that made you think otherwise? "

No my post just happened to fall after yours.

“This is a common complaint. However the truth is that no-one takes the bible completely literally.”

That’s true now, but that’s not always the case… .Yes no one ever took the “I’m a door” literally, but there are parts of the bible that are meant to be taken literally, and they were.

So tell me… where in the OT did God or the prophets condemn non-believers to hell?

"The probelm is that the implication of this complaint is that Jesus words are somehow unintelligible (I assume this is what you mean when you say everything is relative). "

No… I mean that you don’t follow christs words. When christ spoke of chopping your arm off to avoid hell, do you think he was talking about your “figurative” arm?

When Christ speaks of leaving your family to follow him, was he only speaking figuratively?

“let the dead bury the dead”?

BUT, it goes way beyond that. Like I said, (and you agree with) Jesus did not do away with the old law, and in fact added all new, STRICTER laws. No longer was mere ACTION a sin, but the mere THOUGHT was a sin.

And the punishment much greater… if you commited a sin against the OT law, you just lose your physical life. If you commited a sin against NT law, you lose your everlasting soul.

Also, ned as is related in another thread… If jesus is god and it took him 30 years to reach “enlightened” status that he requires that we follow to reach heaven… how can any of us every hope to reach heaven? We are merely mortal. It took him 30 years to reach such a status…

Well I have good reasoning on the first part but as far as not recording that I’m not quite sure…I’ll look into it if you’d like.

so He is under the same rules that He ordains? I think not, kinda like time. God is the freaking creator of the universe - who are we to point at Him and say He should or shouldn’t do something? that’s just ridiculous, like me at school to tell a teacher that he or she shouldn’t use their cell phone or something - it doesn’t make sense.

also please point out where it says the thing about judging and murdering our own son, as I don’t quite remember that one.

also, when the teacher tells me to do something, I don’t question it. rules can sometimes have exceptions, like when the ultimate authority tells you something - He has all the right in the world to change His mind.

God gave Moses ten commandments. Man didn’t think it was enough, so he added more. Christ said “turn the other cheek”. He spoke of the prodigal son , who by all means was an unruly child, but his Father, as should and would ours, accepted him back with open arms. Christ was not a big follower of the O.T. The problem with most Christians is that they will quote every part of the Bible to you except the red letters of Christ!

What exactly are you implying? Man added more? Discuss

Problem with Christians is they will quote God’s word but not other words?..where are you goin with this.

I said “Every part of the Bible except the words of Christ”. A christian should be a red letter christian, or they follow a name instead of a path.

am i implying man added more laws and rules??? Absolutely!!! Deuteronomy consisted of many rules made up after the commandments were here and done!

ok I was kinda following you (not completely, but still…) up till that last part. where do you get that? it sounds completely random to me - we Christians hold that Jesus was, is, and always will be God, man, and perfect. there was no “enlightenment” period - He was always “enlightened” - He even knew what the Jews were thinking. oh and we don’t have to be perfect, but we must strive for it - God looks to see if you want Him with all your heart, knowing that you can’t “earn” salvation - He fills in whatever gap you left with His grace through Jesus Christ.

I agree that not everything in the Bible is literal and figurative. the idea is that SOMEONE out there will have enough common sense to figure it out. that’s the idea.

oh and I have to hand it to ya. kudos for using verses, etc. - it makes everything move a little bit more smoothly (bad word choice, but you know what I mean #-o )

So you believe Christians should follow Christ, but you only believe the red letters written by men of God were true, and everything not in red was added…hmm…doesn’t make much sense to me.

These rules were ordained by God himself. If you question these you question scripture, and if you question scripture you should also question the red letters.

Just to reply to your other post Jones, I know we’re both Christians and yes we’re on the same side, but if your arguments are nonsense I will say they are nonsense…I’m not going to be biased as I stated that from the beginning. I debate people from what they say and interract with my beliefs accordingly, I don’t do a search on their background before I decide who to argue with.