Philosophy For Us Dummies

That’s how atheists like to portray belief. It’s an extreme. Almost always, there is some reasoning and evidence.

It does not matter whether or not they are talking about facts as they are “known”. If it is a fact, it is what is. If it is a belief of it to be a fact, than it is not a fact.

If what is “known” changes later on and disproves a “fact”, then it was never truly a fact to begin with. So it really doesn’t matter what an individual knows, or think they know.

Did the fact of the world being round ever change? No, it was always round and spherical. Regardless of what humanity thought they “knew”.

Evidence of an invisible man in the sky of which judges experience of life, through death? The very thing of which we are here to do? Experience? We are the universe experiencing itself individually and subjectively, we contribute to the universes expansion through experience because we are the universe as well. There is no evidence or reasoning behind that at all. Regardless of what people say “Oh god talked to me”. It is obvious some people don’t know “god” from their own delusional minds.

What is the explanation/reasoning for “god” being either not omnipotent or “evil”?

So in the era when wise men and women made observations and concluded that the Earth is flat… What did they say? “It is a fact that the Earth is flat.”

What good did it do them that (let’s say) 500 years later, other observations showed them to be wrong about their facts?

I’ve been in those discussions, and I’m not interested in another one. :-"

There were people in that time and era that did not ‘believe’ the world to be flat. It is not their fault that the majority did not regard what the geniuses/wise men said.

You’re making it revolve around humanity, when nothing does. Other than what we create for ourselves, to revolve around us to help us feel comfortable. Do you think facts care what “good” it does humanity?

Not much of wise men/women then huh? Just because they heard that it was “flat” does not mean they had to accept/believe it.
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” -Aristotle

Who do you think sets the standards?
Who do you think determines what is good science, good medicine, good philosophy, etc.? Intelligent rational people. And yes, they can be wrong.

It does revolve around humanity. Nature doesn’t care what is labeled as knowledge, belief, fact, true, false. Nature doesn’t think, humans do. Humans have to decide and act based on knowledge, belief, reasoning.

That’s just you looking backwards into the past and patting yourself on the back, saying how clever you are and how stupid people were back then.

We can set standards, but this does not stop a regular man from becoming a wise man, by thinking on his own instead of adopting the majority belief of something to be factual/true when in fact, it was not factual/true and never was.

Nothing revolves around humanity except what we create for ourselves to revolve around us. It’s like saying math revolves around us when we actually revolve around it. For example, math existed before we gave it the label of math, it was just not named and given the idea of which we now may study on a human level.

We did not create math, we simply named it.

No it isn’t, I don’t pat myself on the back. Just because someone is not vastly wise, does not mean they are stupid. Again, not everyone believed the world to be “flat” back then, the ones who questioned without accepting the thought were the ones who were wise. Also the ones who thought/knew the world was round were wise as well.

The ones who were wise, were the ones who reasoned correctly from the available observations. Even if their conclusions were subsequently overturned by new observations and reasoning.
The others were lucky if they got the answer that turned out to be correct later on.

It’s not the answer that makes someone wise, it’s the process of reasoning.

It is obvious some reasoned more than others, hence it lead them to the answers of which were correct/fact. What reasoning did the other “wise beings” do to dominantly accept that it was “flat” rather than questioning/reasoning that it wasn’t?

I don’t think it was luck that lead the wise men to their answers, more so vast reasoning. The wise men used the process of logic in their thinking, of which is reason, more so than some others did.

So the sun rise during the day and moon at night wasn’t an available observation to logically think the world is round?

The conclusions of reasoning will depend on what is observed and the current understanding of how reality works. Perfect reasoning can lead to conclusions that turn out, later, to be wrong.

No, that is not sufficient. Move a flashlight in an arc over a table and think about what you see from the table.

I don’t know Artimas. I still think that as of that time, that so-called belief was fact. It’s okay though because facts do change. The more knowledge we come to accumulate and learn about, the more our facts, what we think are written in stone, change. Are you saying that back then they did not see it as FACT that the Earth was the center of the universe (as they knew it)? Perhaps Copernicus, as a scientist, did not but the common lay people did.

how about that 99.9%fact like dna…it could change but I really doubt it…it is something you know… not belief anymore…

Facts are, regardless of what humanity claims to know or not know. They can see it as fact, but that does not mean it is fact. It’s the interpretation/belief of fact, which is not always the case of what is.

They believed it to be, which is belief. Not fact. It isn’t the facts that change, it is our understandings/time/place and what not that changes.
Regardless of what anyone thought in the stone age the world was not flat, no matter HOW much of a “fact” they thought it was, does not negate the fact that it was round.

Take an example, not literal of course.

Imagine if Europeans did not know any other continents existed other than Europe, and they believed they were the only continent, but there are other continents of course. So just because Europeans believe that they are the only one, does this negate the indisputable case/fact of Asia being there as well? Regardless of Europeans knowing of their existence? No, Asia would still be, regardless of the Europeans knowing. So the Europeans believing they are the only ones is a belief, subject to change whenever they find or discovered Asia, of which Asia being is a fact.

This is why nothing revolves around us, besides what we create to. Just because the people believed something to be, does not mean it is. Facts are facts, beliefs are beliefs. Belief does not negate fact, belief can be factual sometimes, but not always. Facts are always what is. Just like when they thought the world was flat, it was always round. Facts don’t care what we think we know or not, they are still there. Saying facts change, is like saying the world was flat, then changed to being round. The world did not change, our understanding/belief did.

For example, there are probably things labeled as “fact” today that are probably not even facts at all, but believed to be. It is never the facts that change, because our beliefs aren’t always facts in the first place, we just believe that they are. We do not know and will not know until time tells. Time being the measurement of change.

This is why the quote is true. “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.” - Socrates/Plato

Just like how we are/were not the center of the universe, just believed to be. Sure, they can see it as a fact. But this does not mean it is or was a fact. What is, does not care about what we see or know, because it’s just what is.