Philosophy For Us Dummies

Those are all really good ones and don’t we all need to learn those skills - practicing them.
By non-judgmental, you mean making observations without rushing to scientific or philosophical judgment calls immediately?

Another one, which is being driven home to me - here and there - learning that it is also “how we think” which is important - not just “what we think”.
That’s one which I have to learn to focus on more. I suppose that begins by actually “focusing” on how we think moment to moment.

I would like to explore darwins dangerous idea… evolution of life on earth looks like design but doesn’t need a designer…

Turtle, why don’t you put this in the Science forum?
Why is the idea dangerous?

because it implies no god and no secure future…
in the science forum it would just turn to crap…

Evolution is the method, not the Maker.

the dangerous idea is maybe there is no one at the helm except us

Who has proved that we are at the helm?

interesting question

You don’t honestly see a secure future do you - with or without a god?
We’re like in a leaky boat without a paddle.

How has your question been faring in here? :mrgreen:

Turtle, why don’t you put this in the Science forum?
Why is the idea dangerous?
[/quote]
because it implies no god and no secure future…
in the science forum it would just turn to crap…
[/quote]
You don’t honestly see a secure future do you - with or without a god?
We’re like in a leaky boat without a paddle.

How has your question been faring in here? :mrgreen:
[/quote]
actually I prefer a few persons who are interested in discussing important issues…rather than many posts that are junk…
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I don’t feel very secure now…I think we have a leaky boat…I hope we can work on damagecontrol…we need to be kind

Can science cause kindness? Can philosophy? We look to religions for these answers to the leaky boat syndrome. In science we have split the atom and spliced the gene. How has this helped the average person to become kind? In philosophy we have dismissed analytics in favor of ontology. How has this helped the average person to become kind?

kindness has nothing to do with------------------science or philosophy or religion…
kindness has to do about cooperating rather than fighting…both are in our nature…which do you choose

It all depends on with what one is expected to cooperate. One can cooperate with fighting.

which do you choose…some people can choose…most people fight

There are some things worth fighting for.

yes…what would you fight about

Any belief that sees some humans of less deserving of health and happiness than others.

Seattle, Wash. Columbus day has been renamed indigenous persons day. Too little, too late?

But don’t you think that SOME humans ARE less …

No.