Pop music is not pop music anymore!

No, it’s not. There is no anaylytic or evidentiary support for the claim the Bee Gees were the greatest band ever. That was his claim. It’s not my responsibility to prove the negative. I’m not surprised you’re not aware of that.

The same applies here.

Try to save that point for when you’ve actually scored a point. Since you haven’t in any way, you’ve just made yourself look even more foolish…

What? He said they were the greatest band ever?

Oh god what have I done. I didn’t know he said that.

Ecmandu, come here for a minute. What the hell were you thinking, dude? Why would you say such a thing? You just made me look like a complete idiot. Thanks for nothing. Really.

I said they were the greatest harmonizers… sheesh!!!

I actually don’t think there is such a thing as the best band ever. I do think there is such a thing as the best harmonizers though.

It’s not cool to say the Bee Gees for anything, even though they can make any song sound good… but so could Cobain… it’s pretty subjective… the Bee Gees are without a doubt the best harmonizers in the long line of recorded music history though… these three dudes pulled off stuff a choir could pull off. They could sound like the Beach Boys and Beatles on a whim, and they invented a genre of music… it’s not cool to say the Bee Gees are amazing, but they are… as Barry said in his acceptance speech at the hall of fame, “we are the enigma with a stigma”

When the Bee Gees sing “Too Much Heaven” three dudes actually get feedback on the best mics in the world… that’s gotta say something.

I’ll post the song here… they get feedback twice in this song…

youtube.com/watch?v=nREV8bQJ1MA

Not only that, but the two brothers pick up Barry’s voice at the end and he sings solo over them… it’s unbelievable.

I don’t know how much you all know about music… but there is the resonance/feedback problem, that something cannot be made to not resonate at some frequency…

Microphones are made to not resonate with human voices, but the bee gees in that song above actually vibrate the resonance of the microphone.

I’m a composer Zoot… for piano, I have a really good ear, and people clap for songs I compose when I play them… I know a bit about music. I actually tried to mathematically reconstruct Beethoven’s compositional signature when I was a teenager, because i wanted to hear more Beethoven. I dropped the project when i figured out I could create mind-reading software instead, and have journaled about 200,000 pages of mathematics to isolate these signatures. So yeah, I know a bit about music. And Peripheral is a troll, don’t be embarassed by him.

Here’s another song by them that wasn’t released until the net recently because it was too controversial… listen to the choral section they do at the beginning, it sounds like a whole choir…

youtube.com/watch?v=T5Y_5Y3gUlU

The first section of the song is just two brothers… then when three kick in it sounds like a choir, and just for the hell of it they decide to sound like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young during part of the chorus. Why not? They’re a good harmonizing group too. The end of the song from high to low is not overdubbed either… they actually did that in live recording.

^
Ridiculous statement.

We had Mozart and Beethoven and now we have screeching alarm clock music and Niki Minaj. Art died since 2000.

I actually slept with artists behind songs like “Tub Glitter” and other modern “greats”, so don’t tell me that I don’t know music.

The period from raw percussive instruments to manufactured brass instruments was by comparison a prolonged period of stability and continuity. Stringed and woodwind instruments are in the meanwhile. From the brass instrument to the electric instrument and forward, there is a short, fast leap in the evolution of music. Once these means of making music are available, music is produced at far greater rates, which means any possible kind of music will be developed during this period… eventually you begin hearing repetition at a greater rate than you heard it from the brass age backward; if there are no new scales and no new audible pitch for the human ear, there will be a finite number of options in any given finite period of time, anyway. Eventually there is a period of nothing fundamentally new. We are in that period.

And don’t think mixing country and rap is some new revolution in music, either. It’s garbage combined with more garbage. Tell me you don’t like either, P. Have you heard that crap on the radio yet? These country bands are now rapping in their songs.

But that is all I mean. Punctuated equilibrium as a period of very fast growth of styles of music and a quickened rate of change (i.e., the limitless subdivisions of music genre on the store shelves).

I’m sorry, that irrelevant blather had nothing to do with my post about popular music. Also, there was nothing more “fundamentally new’” in pop music in the last 40 years than there is today. And I’ll just go ahead and logically presume your knowledge of all new music today isn’t sufficient to make such a sweeping condemnation

The fact you see country-rap as the only new music today further confirms you have a lousy level of knowledge of new music. Try not to expound with such flourish about that of which you know little.

As I said above, 1920-2015 Is almost the entire history of modern pop music. It is far too large a period to be referred to as “punctuated equilibrium.” Try to actually use the term correctly.

I do not understand people who fixate on pop music. Bee Geeez? Seriously?

Music is supposed to be a journey composed of variety of emotions. Most pop music is flat. And for a reason.

Listen to ‘Bleed’ by Messugha and try to relate it to Stravinsky’ Rite of Spring. It’s a Fauvinistic linkage.

Most music of all genres is flat and subpar. However, pop music has a great history of artists inspiring numerous emotions. Some are:

The Beatles
Frank Sinatra
The Beach Boys
Bob Dylan
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
The Allman Brothers
R.E.M.
U2
Guns & Roses
Metallica
Aimee Mann
Mumford and Sons
Lana Del Rey
Arctic Monkeys

and many more.

Umm… you forgot Michael Jackson, who more or less dedicated his Thriller album to the Bee Gees. He said, and I quote, “Your Saturday Night Fever album inspired my Thriller album” During a tribute to the Bee Gees.

Did Ecmandu, the troll obsessed with suicide and The Bee Gees, speak? I have him on ignore and don’t read his posts. If he said anything of value, which I sincerely doubt, please notify me.

This is the kind of stuff that inspired Michael Jackson…

youtube.com/watch?v=sU7Tpu7HlNs

You can almost hear Thilller in this song…

Bread was another very influential band as well… umm… they invented a genre called “soft rock”. The bee gees were the precurser to techno, which is basically all music now…