Post your favorite pieces of art here.

I’m not sure. That’s the question I’m trying to figure out.

Maybe. But why can’t an abstract painting just be a load of shit really. Is it because its within a frame and hung in a gallery that people think its great. That because I might stand there and sneer I’m an idiot who, “Doesn’t get it.” I find that when I’m in a gallery, I automatically switch onto the state of mind that tries to find the meaning of the stuff in there. That really, it’s the context, the gallery, that dictates this and not necessarily the artwork itself. For instance, there have been installations that merely feature bricks. Common house-bricks just piled up. Well then, why isn’t that art when I’m on a building site? Should I go and pay the brickie a few million dollars for his post-modern masterpiece? Its absurd.

“Oh, well it’s meant to just reveal the absurdity of modern life.” He says.
And I would say, with the utmost sincerity, “Fuck off, you cunt.”

:wink:

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”

House bricks, blocks of concrete…
Blank or uni-colored canvas…
Glass boxes of used diapers/dead animals…
Seeds or sand scattered on the floor…
An empty plate…
Yeah, some abstract art bores me at the least, at the most annoys me that it is considered art by some.
But then again
“Beauty is in the eye …” etc

Maybe it isn’t though. Maybe we can specifically say what beuaty is or what art should be. Maybe relativism is just the lazy way…however, I am quite lazy so I’ll probably end up siding that way anyway.

Oh I’m with you there. Much of modern art is a joke. Specifically the economics of it. There’s no question there.

Fans of Nicolas Samori might also like Francis Bacon:

It’s not really a “piece of art” per se, not in the same sense of a painting or a sculpture but I absolutely adore the work of photographer Kyle Thompson. Check it out:

https://www.google.pt/search?q=kyle+thompson&client=firefox-a&hs=TRr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ytGGUvC1MtKUhQfpooGIBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=646">Kyle%20Thompson

I like some of them, though I prefer things a bit more seamless and all effects in camera…

In black and White, pre-computer Graphics, Ralph Meatyard…

google.pt/search?q=kyle+tho … 80&bih=646">Kyle%20Thompson#q=ralph+meatyard&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch

and

Francesca Woodman…

google.pt/search?q=kyle+tho … 80&bih=646">Kyle%20Thompson#q=francesca+photographs&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Devouring_His_Son

Francis Bacon. Nice, Moreno.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_ … avaggio%29

Tobias Verhaecht - The Tower of Babel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barge_Haulers_on_the_Volga

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roses_of_Heliogabalus

She is my favorite work of art besides her three brothers and sisters. She is better then a work of art. One of 5 grandkids I am responsible for.
Las%20Vegas-20131111-00010.jpg

Obe, sure that can count as well, for one cannot disclaim living art and aesthetic beauty or appeal either.

I thought of that exact Goya when I saw Volchok’s tastes.

Not as Close, but in the same region of the Id is William Blake’s
The Ghost of a Flea

I would guess that both you and Volchok have at least some affection for Bosch…

And then for concerns about feminists, the Classic Artemesia Gentilischi painting
Judith Beheading Holofernes

A challenge I see Moreno. I’ll meet your beheading of a man by two women with this.

Pietro da Cortona: “The Rape of the Sabine Women”