Progressive Christianity

my church is Christian…with strong belief in god the father and the trinity
I know several people who do not come to my church…they would like to become members
but you cannot join the church if you cannot accept these two beliefs…
they would like to follow jesus…most of these people are women

If you don’t believe in a god, then you should not be going to a Christian church.
If you object to the word ‘father’, ignore it. Christians don’t think that God has male genitalia, or a beard, or a toga.
The trinity has been argued since the beginning. It’s such a weird concept that it could mean anything. Is there a practical meaning to the trinity? No.

I do believe in god…that is why I go…but my ideas about god are not going to be diminished by some old ideas about god…my ideas of god are based on now… not 2000 years ago…

Having read your posts, I don’t see how you can claim a belief in god. Unless you say “god is the universe” or “god is the ultimate reality of everything”. But why bother to do that?

why insist on a father god…why not a mother god…is there some magic formula that we must stick to as christians

I created this thread in order to explore what qualifies as Christianity. I would say that a belief in a creator god, an afterlife and the wisdom and understanding of Jesus are the bare minimum requirements.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of … ristianity

I created this thread in order to explore what qualifies as Christianity. I would say that a belief in a creator god, an afterlife and the wisdom and understanding of Jesus are the bare minimum requirements.

a creator god —must it be god in 3 persons

I already wrote about the trinity.

Okay more : What does the trinity represent? God is in heaven, Jesus is on earth, the Holy Spirit is inside you.
God, the incomprehensible, beyond human understanding. God, in the form of Jesus, who walks the earth is understandable but separate from each individual. God, the integral part of the individual.

Why does it bother you so much?

I don’t believe in heaven
jesus is the same as you and me
there is only one god
the trinity is more than one god
I like monotheism not poly

The trinity refers to aspects of one god, not to three persons.

the trinity makes jesus a god to worship…not a man to follow…

No. Jesus said, “You can be as I am.”

in my church they worship jesus …
I don’t think it is good to worship a man…

Jesus never asked to be worshipped.

Constantine changed that in 325 ad

In what way? By edict or law?

ier you better look at it yourself…it is a very important happening…

A “progressive Christianity” would appreciate the fact that their tradition is one of many, but no worse than any other, nor no better.

There is a need to weed out the aspects of all traditions which are malevolent to human kind, and pass beyond, to a benevolent tradition which unites human beings, rather than excluding those with other traditions from being part of the human race.

I think we already have Humanism.

Yes, we alraedy have humanism, thus: much more wars than ever before and especially much more terrible / terroristic wars than ever before.