Something Past Civilization

Exactly, fear of nature is not possible at all, which was my point. You can only fear certain things not all. The phrase “fear of nature” is inclusive not exclusive.

Oh, I get it. :smiley: :wink:

The very motivation, the drive behind our demand to understand the laws of nature is to use them for the purpose of continuing the human species at the expense of every other form of life on this planet.

I would put lack of birth control and lack of abortion as that issue. Laws and memes need to be directed at that. An abused child keeps that abuse within their mind, it warps and twists it. Or children die horribly. Frankly I would rather see 10,000 aborted fetuses than one abused kid.

Not only fear of death. Fear of the unknown in general. If people didn’t fear nature then why are they so set on taking it’s power away, destroying it even?

There is so much more unknown than known, in terms of nature. You see… Nature is not only Earthly but Universal. Nature is the universe and we know next to nothing about the Universe. We know even less than what we know about the universe with the Ocean. So when people say people fear Nature, i’d say they most definitely do. Ever notice on our planet, with plants and other species or areas in the world that usually the most beautiful of those things are the most deadly?

Just because people learned a tad bit about survival on this planet does not mean they do not fear Nature. You will all see that fear when the fault lines split. Polar shift or just a huge dramatical event takes place in general.

Don’t get too comfortable with all of this. Comfort will get you killed when Nature decides to take the reins back.

I also think it’s funny you guys say people don’t fear nature, when people fear an invisible god but not a visible nature? News flash, nature is “god”. Nature could kill you, me or anyone right now at this very moment… And not because it so specifically chooses to, but because it’s random.

All that stems from a fear of death. It is not nature that is feared , it is death.

And death is nature, it’s like the ultimate experience of nature.

All fear of nature does not mean fearing death. It’s fear of the unknown, death isn’t the only thing unknown… Death is nothing compared to what is out in the universe. There could be and I am sure are unfathomable things out there. Things that if a human saw it it would drive them insane.

If people fear only death, then why do people fear god? It’s not only death that people are afraid of.

I think what people ultimately fear is pain and suffering. Death comes in at a close second, but this is instinct.

Actually, I wonder: how much pain and suffering would one be willing to undergo in order to void a quick and painless death?

In any case, I’m going to side with Kris on this one (now that I understand her): we don’t fear nature qua nature, we fear certain natural things–tigers, falling off cliffs, poison, murderers, etc.–and it’s also true that we fear the unknown to a certain degree, but not as wholesale as you’re making it out to be, Artimas. The unknown is also very alluring to some of us–it sparks curiosity and intrigue, and a desire to overcome it by exploring it. I guess it depends on what overpowers what: the fear of the unknown or the curiosity to know it. But both are within us.

Changing nature is not a reaction to fear of the unknown. We can’t actually change nature with that goal in mind unless we know what we’re doing–that is, how we’re going to change it. And that requires knowing nature. We invent medicine, for example, only because we understand the nature of disease. If we don’t understand it, then the first step is to investigate it, to gain an understanding, and then we change nature so as to rid ourselves of the disease. There’s still something there to fear, of course, but it not the unknown at that point.

If people weren’t afraid of the unknown we would be on Mars already, there would be no religion, there would be no creating answers to sit comfortably thinking you know it all. Which is what I want most of all, I want the blockades to be gone so I can have my high tech and exploration. Fear, religion and mass ignorance block me from my goal and dreams.

See the proof is there already, if people are not afraid, then how come these things negative things exist or discoveries have not been made of which would have been made if fear had no part.

Nature is everything, every single thing here is nature or a result from it, as in existing I mean. Of course humanity is not fearful of all nature, but the majority of nature, of which is not discovered yes. It’s like looking at it from cave men stance, they were afraid of exploring in the dark, not necessarily because they would be killed or get hurt but because they cannot see, they do not know what is in the dark… Until they discovered fire, they went out at night and were not afraid…

Also it is not necessarily true that people are afraid of only pain, suffering or the dying aspects of nature. Egyptian religion literally praised death and prepared for it, yet they still had fears. Spartans as well, praised death, pain, wounds, etc. So what of them? Man kinds biggest downfall is fearing the unknown, so what they do to block that fear is create false answers to satsify themselves. Aka religion, theories, etc.

People do not fear the creatures in the night, they fear travelling blindly into it.

I have to make a post about death later too, it’s interesting to think about. Me and a co-worker thought of it. It’s along the lines of which why death might exist as being unknown or unknowable until it happens.

You and I are not enemies, Artimas. We share the same sentiment, only I have higher and more complete, more rational views.
Colonizing mars doesn’t need to be done. It’s a silly endeavor, Earth is a fertile planet, with a sustainable resource system. Please contain your ego filled rage at shooting down your ideas for the moment, because we are both victims of religion, it has torn apart and shot down our dreams. Because of religion, we can’t get death research underway because people believe religion is all the death research they need. Truly the world would be better without religious crutches, but we must not alter the law of the land, we must fight against fascism at all times. If someone truly wishes to cling to religion, they may be allowed to do so at their own peril, but without dragging us with them to ruination. Fear of the unknown is not always a bad thing.

Mars is just an example, there are other far more interesting planets out there, where we can’t get to unfortunately, yet anyways.
But yes, death research needs to happen in forms of regeneration, Digital immortality, robotics, etc.

The first and most logical step, before any inventions, explorations, and research goes underway, is the Brain Serum. It is needed to enhance scientists brains so they can reach a higher level of genius. From their, our ability to invent will be limitless. We are the builders, gods among sheep.

We must first create the selective neuronal enablerdisabler, so we can measure the effects of neurons on consciousness itself.

It may not be wise to search for alien contact. After the Brain Serum, we will create the DNA machine, which will allow us to have limitless intellect. What need would we have of aliens? They may threaten to plot against us. We must take the universe into our own hands.

Are you suggesting there is a preditable rate of scientific and technological advancement that can be determine by just how fearful people are of the unknown?

I think you’re overselling this bit about the fear of the unknown. Yes, the unknown can be scary, people are sometimes uncomfortable not knowing, but that doesn’t mean man fears every instance of the unknown. I don’t know how close the nearest galaxy is, or whether there’s life therein, or when it will die, but these thoughts don’t fill me with dread. The idea that we fear the unknown comes from cases in which not knowing the parameters of the situation makes for a high level of danger–going into a cave, for example, not knowing what lies therein. But things like what makes the rain fall or why the Sun rises were not a scary mystery just because man didn’t know it.

What makes you so certain you know what they did?

Again, curiosity does this trick rather well too. And it is not a downfall to be afraid of the unknown. It’s a defense mechanism against danger, and a vital tool for our survival.

They fear both, but the latter is in the service of the former.

Well, it’s unknowable because you can’t experience it until it happens to you, and then you’ve passed the point of no return, which makes it pretty hard to report your findings back to others.

Civilization is a Prison Planet.

Few will ever have the ability to navigate out of the maze and through the walls to Outside. Fewer still would be able to survive Outside.

You can either attempt to find the way out yourself, alone. Or you can locate somebody who knows the way, a guide.

Then you cannot say it wouldn’t fill you with dread if you traveled through space. If you’re using the example with the soldier thinking one thing and then doing another. You can say you wouldn’t, but everyone knows when they’re up there floating away that they’re afraid.

Near death experiences, ever heard stories of people somehow drifting out of their bodies, going into other rooms then telling the doctor or whoever what was going on or being said in the other room without physically being there? I don’t think psychology explains these phenomenal events of projecting. Nor does it explain what DMT is doing in your brain outside of dreams.

Because that is what happened, it’s evolution. Cave men found fire and used it to rise to the top of the food chain. I don’t know if they had time to be fearful of animals, especially of their dinner.

Yes in fact it really is measurable. Neil DeGrasse helped me realize that in one of his lectures. Fear stopped the middle east from continuing mathematics, of which if they did not we probably would be much farther in technology and majority nobel prize winners would most likely be Arabic. Religion and fear of the devil halted the middle easts advancement. Fear blocks advancement, religion helps with that. That’s 1,000s of years lost in which we could have made HUGE leaps.

No, but thunder, lightning, and it being so hot there is no water can cause fear. Then that’s where religion comes into play, “You angered the gods so they create huge booming noises in the sky!”. See what I am saying, when people do fear what they do not know they make up answers to get rid of the fear, of which ultimately it’s just nature and not knowing what it is that they are afraid of. Making up answers slow the process of discovery because when people think they know the answer they stop searching, until someone with a fresh inquisitive mind comes along to conquer the false claims with curiosity.

We don’t need to create a machine to evolve ourselves, it’s natural. We have infinite untapped potential due to diversity. The first step for humanity to get on track with speeding their own evolution is to conquer ego and destroy all religion, or at least the aspect of comfort it provides. The comfort and lack of continuing the search is the real problem because no one is dissatisfied with the false answers. We evolve naturally. You see change is inevitable, but the little power we do have over it is if we wish to slow it down or speed it up. humanity keeps choosing to slow it down due to fears and insecurities.

Ok, what is the purpose of Civilization and its slaves? Maybe it has no purpose as long as slaves feel that they have no purpose in life.

Everyone has to see the problems with Civilization. I do, especially in my age group. I see young kids still attending University for occupations that serve little to no purpose besides healthcare. And even in regards to healthcare, natural medicine does do well and we don’t see enough of Holistic nature practitioners.

Making money increases happiness in life and upgrades the standard of living. So being a Doctor could be a good thing. But as far as I know, having money does not save trees.

For me, Civilization is almost a nightmare I want to walk out of. Civilization means bad food, drugs, chemicals, pollution. Crime is everywhere. Everyone is depressed and on drugs. The entertainment industry is booming. Everyone is zoning out. Schools with nothing left to teach. Fast food restaurants with no good food. It’s like in America: “Hey honey, want to take a cruise around the block? Sure.” …“Gas stations, Wendy’s, Subway. University, Starbucks, hospital, more food, a whole plaza full of restaurants, banks, and, of course, the homeless people.” Hungry? Ok. Sick? Even better. You want money? Get an education. You’re homeless? Maybe you should have gotten an education. Looking for a beautiful place to live that’s bursting full of bright young minds? HA!

Sometimes I ask myself…why? Why did nature ever get destroyed, and for this?

What I see around me is also due in part to where I live. It would be smarter to move to a better, more intellectually boosting area of the world.