Spirituality

James S Saint

Yes, fear is capable of doing just that. BUT IF your meaning implies that what I wrote above speaks of fear, why would you think that? But I did say IF?
People can be guided, be helped along but how is someone to grow if their personal autonomy is taken away. Seems to me that the other party, the one who wants to “take care of it” may be more fearful in a sense.
Psychiatrists, psychologists, thereapists, et cetera, if they are good, do they take over their patient/client? I don’t think so.

Many are. There is a difference though between co-dependent and inter-dependent.

Yes, it is. We also have to learn self-trust, don’t you think? If we do THAT, with practice, we can intuit when we’re being manipulated.

Agreed - and that can take some time. We don’t just turn ourselves over to someone on a silver platter. I think that the more we learn to trust ourselves, we’re able to trust others - at least those we feel earn it.

True for the first two. Trust is not about personal preferences though James.

True for the first part. “The most obvious good” is not necessarily the most realistic good.

But sometimes better the fool. You know the saying “Fools rush in where angels fear to tred”.
Fear is after all also an evolutionary survival tool.
Don’t knock our little reptilian brains.

Good point. This does not negate the experiences of those who find spirituality in the church. It broadens the concept of spirituality. The churches I have attended seem to see secular humanism as man usurping the provinces of god. I agree that it can be seen as following spiritual paths rather than submitting to dogmas. Changing my mind about secular humanism as you describe it—I’m reminded of a Woody Allen quote, paraphrased here. “The unchanged mind is like an unchanged diaper–and for the same reason.”

Agree with your last statement. As to the mention of religious art and institutions, they did come from religious persons. This does not mean that only religious art is spiritual. It simply means give credit where credit is due.
Thank you, turtle and James for getting this thread back on track.

ier says
The churches I have attended seem to see secular humanism as man usurping the provinces of god…

tur says
my church doesn’t like it because the secular humanists are not needing the church…and our church attendance is going down and we cant pay the bills…I think it is competition for members and money…

That may not be all there is to it. Some church members actually believe they are serving god and community. It takes money to run a church.

I agree there is more to it…but the bottom line in my church-----they don’t want the persons that pay the most money becoming secular humanists who follow the way of jesus without a church building…

In the NT, Stephen was stoned for saying god did not exist in buildings (Churches). I feel for those who go to chuch, but cannot find spirituality there.

in my church I find a lot of love and a lot of hate…and a lot of apathy

No surprises there.
3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
10:16 He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

The bible is a rich source for those that like to judge and hate, and reject.

lev you are only seeing the hate

Can religion lead to spirituality?

yes and no

In what way yes?

people can get together and talk about how to live…how we should treat each other…what life is all about
ier I feel you are trying to beat a dead horse to get up and walk again

Is that spirituality?

What horse died!!! Are you saying we cannot really discuss religion in a religion and philosophy forum? Has the forum become so overpopulated by atheists and agnostics that one dares not say anything good about religion?

Card stacking.

phyllo you and I can have a good discussion here…very good question…it may not have to do with spirituality…I think that talking with other people at church or the tavern may lead you to understand how you want to live your life…your own life…what is it all about…what is important to you…what do you think…that seems to fit the spirit of a person…

phyllo what do you say

I think that spirituality deals with non-material issues.
Discussing diet and deciding to eat more vegetables and less red meat would not count as spirituality.

You could be convinced, by a conversation in a tavern, not to kick dogs. The spiritual aspect… if there is one … would be why you decide not to kick dogs. If it is because you might get caught by the cops and punished, then it is not spiritual. If you see some connection between dogs and you, then that could be spirituality at work.