Synthetic Syllogisms and Analytic Axioms.

It’s not, but it is written as one - I was quoting you.

This depends on what you take ‘proof’ to be, and you seems to be taking it to be the construction of formal proof rules, formulæ and theorems.

More generally self-evident is synonomous with self-prooving.

To say that a self-evident truth is ‘unprovable’, is pedantic; by stating the truth itself, you are prooving it to be true by virtue of its self evidence.

Tautologies are self-evident.

If A then A is not considered to be self-evident by formal standards, then by most others (I would imagine) it is very clearly so.

So my not sweating is sufficient for me to be thirsty, right? My sweating is not “sufficient” for my being thirsty, but is the necessary accompaniment of my being thirsty.

It is sufficient to not be sweating for me to be thirsty. I don’t need to be sweating to be thirsty.

I’m just trying to understand this word in the context of logic…

Even so, he said it was considered self-evident, not that it was self-evident.

This statement, coming from you, means: “I consider tautologies to be self-evident”. Compare the Declaration of Independence: “We hold these truths to be self-evident”…

1. Lol. It is self-evident. Tautologies are absolute truths. Remember it is you who is asking if A then A is self evident or not, not me. :laughing:
  2. Tautolgies ARE self-evident. The illogic in your comparison of tautology with potentially false starting principles is, although amusing, not worth analysing.

:wink:

I guess it has been predetermined that “A–>B” means “A presupposes B”. B is then a necessary ground for A, but not vice versa.

A
B

~A
B

~A
~B

These are then the only possible cases.

A and B cannot be equal, because something cannot be its own ground.

“A equals A, therefore A equals A” is then invalid. The valid (though partly pre-logical) equivalent would be:

“[Revelation], therefore A equals A.”
“It has been shown to us that A equals A.”
“We have seen* that A equals A.”

*“To see” is videre in Latin, whence “evident”.

Not if it is self-evident, but if it (self-)evidently resembles A = A.

… pfft…

Yeah like B is relevant to the truth of the inference from A to itself.

:laughing:

:astonished: What if was exactly the same thing :astonished:

:bulb:

I said “A and B cannot be equal”. If A and B are equal, “A–>B”, “B–>A”, “A–>A”, and “B–>B” are equal. So then the inference from A to itself is the inference from B to itself, or from B to A. So yeah, than B is relevant to its truth: exactly as relevant as A.

Alphie - I’m afraid you’ve got it all backwards.

Well, in the context of formal logic, it’s not.

Now i have to wonder if English is your first language.

If they were, we wouldn’t need logic, for the basic purpose of logic is to produce tautologies (at least of a sort) that are not immediately self-evident.

Yes, you are imagining.

Logic is not like the other fields of philosophy. A lot of logic is settled.

Faust has denied that from the beginning, and I’m beginning to see why (see above).

OK then let me spell it out for you.

[size=200]A ≡ A.[/size]

Saully - in an implication, a and b are not considered equal for the purposes of the implication, even if they turn out to be equal later. But a -->a states that the equality is already known. But this is a problem in syllogistic logic - it is one reason that propositional logic was developed.

You’re just playing games and you know it.

1. Well in the context of wider reality it is and wider reality weigh a lot more than the section that is ‘formal logic’.
  2. Indeed :wink:
  3. ‘at least of a sort’.
  4. :smiley:
  5. Yes and it is well settled with me :wink:.

I am speaking within the context of formal logic, which is the stated topic of this thread.

The stated topic of this thread is ‘Synthetic Syllogisms and Analytic Axioms’ which leaves a lot open for discussion…

Well that was a real good laugh guys thanks, I’m off to bed.

This is not right, of course. It is a “dependant” of my being thirsty. 'Twas late…

I think I understand it now. “Sufficient” in this context is itself a negative concept: it means as much as “not exclusive”. It does not mean “enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end”, as Merriam-Webster puts it: for there may be other, necessary conditions for my being thirsty.