the four basic truths [for most of us]

Simplified

Birth
Learning
Labor
Death

I don’t understand this thread though, why just four?

What makes them basic?

To me, that would be like saying, “I didn’t want to focus on your own understanding of freedom, but on ways in which to understand it in common.”

But, as with personal identity, what is crucial [to me] is the actual context in which words like this will come to be used.

One could even argue that, if hard determinism prevails in human interaction, any context is interchangable with any other because a sense of freedom [like a sense of identity] is actually an illusion.

When discussing something like “a fundamental human truth” we need to decide just how inherently muddied [muddled] the words will be. Folks like Mo keep the waters crystal clear by yanking the words up to the skyhooks. Up there the conflicts can revolve around definitions. If you agree with his logic then he is right.

I focus instead on those aspects of human interaction where rational discourse can be sustained only up to a point. Then our “thought streams” will necessarily be rooted more in prejudice and subjective points of view.

I basically agree. But words that revolve around the relationship between value judgments, individual identity and basic human truths are going to be only more or less certain.

Sure, there are facts that can be established empirically. And there are things we can agree are true by definition…or are rational analytically.
But that certainty begins to fade when – in depth – we discuss things like, “how ought I to live my life?”, or “is this the right thing to do?”, or “why do I feel [think] this when others feel [think] that?”

These things – increasingly – become rooted in dasein and dasein is rooted in the enormously complex interaction of thousands upon thousands of existential variables that evolve over time in layer upon layer of contingency, chance and change. And these can be variable interactions that 1] we may have little control over or 2] are not even consciously aware of.

“I” here is profoundly problematic and precarious.

Think of it as a sociological statement, rather than a philosophical one. Try to think of exceptions to the birth-school-work-death rule. Not that many, eh?

Exeptions? What about additions?

Sneezing, eating, pissing, shitting, burping ,yawning, sleeping, sighing, yelling, walking, smelling, jumping…

Exeptions? What about additions?

Sneezing, eating, pissing, shitting, burping ,yawning, sleeping, sighing, yelling, walking, smelling, jumping…

You’re missing the point. S/he was proposing the elements for a structure of modern life. All of those activities fall under the structure birth-school-work-death.

And I asked “ok…so whats you main point here?”