There is no emergence

It seems that we need to agree on definition first. In here I am arguing against strong emergence which claim that the system is other the sum of parts. Strong emergence is a claim that if you have parts and know that how parts work together, laws of nature, then you are not able to explain the system (meaning that there is no function which describes the system). Here you are talking about weak emergence.

People make mistake about genes because they don’t know that genes are interacting objects.

This the part that I have issue with it, strong emergence. The heart of my argument is that there should exist a reason that the system has specific property rather than any other properties therefore there is a function which describes the property of the system in term of the properties of the parts. Therefore emergence (read it strong emergence) does not exist.

It seems like one is either a panspychist or a pantheist if one does not believe in strong emergence.

Otherwise you are simply saying you know X (about particles) is true, but have no way to demonstrate it. Deduction is always dependent on what is correct and incorrect in our limited knowledge. We have made seemingly obvious metaphysical deductions before in human history and been proven quite wrong.

Right, it’s unbelievable that the don’t get this, and I mean, lots of geneticists, at least those who work for Monsanto.

I think this is a coming-from-parts perspective. If you come from wholes downward, it is no surprise that breaking a pattern/structure might reduce the number of functions and qualities.

Sure. Here I provided an argument against strong emergence.

No. This is not coming from parts perspective. It is about a fact that there is a reason why system has very specific property rather than any other property.

It would be the same kind of reason that some quarks have this or that spin. If one does not come from a parts upward perspective, then there is no reason to assume the parts are the reason the system has that property. If the systems are primary, they have qualities that are or may be just given. Just as the parts have qualities that are merely given. Somewhere in the universe there are ‘things’ that just have qualities. They just have them. Not because something smaller is like X. Unless it is elephants all the way down. Which again is a property. Why time? Why space? Because of parts? Why are there parts? Because of the qualities of parts?

Well, the question is then whether there is a worldview that can exhaustively explain everything? Apparently quarks has specific property too therefore it could not be the fundamental bases of reality.

GUYS
guys.
A property is a function by which, or simply a way in which a thing interacts with an environment.

Yes?
Handy, to define what you’re discussing. Yes?

Okay.

Therefore, a property can never emerge purely “from within”.

What is going on in both particle- AND property-emergence is what we call “calibration”.
Between inside and outside.

OK continue.
Master will return in a month.

We/minds either follow a chain of causality or decide. The chain of causality is the result of all our past experiences. Atoms seems to just behave in a deterministic way which this is assigned to having specific set of properties.

I already give a summery of my position (previous comment).

Yes, emergence, emergence property being a property which is not a function of the properties of the parts, is impossible.

Great.

I haven’t seen it yet. Until then I will work with what is useful.

Wouldn’t surprise me. And how do we decide what is more fundamental. Time vs. Quarks. That there is something, that that is possible - is that a property, a rule, a fact, a ‘thing’ or a thing. Is it more fundamental? IOW sure, their may be parts of quarks, but it might also be that what is fundamental isn’t quite pieces, but mathematical, or a property. Perhaps the pieces are properties and the distinction is problematic. I mean the subatomic level doesn’t always act or seem like pieces, it seems like processes, sometimes mere potentials (things in superposition, precollapsed waves). Sometimes it seems like whatever is fundamental is not even real, yet.

I like thinking that way also sometimes. And it is good to bring in things like the doctrine of internal relations or it’s opposite. I think both can be useful views. Perhaps there are only properties and no things. I think it depends on what one is doing, trying to do, that matters a lot about which of these ways of viewing it are most useful at a given moment. Metaphysical desire wants this to harden down and be settled. And I get that. But right now I think a more instrumental approach is the best we can hope for.

A useful option, absolutely.

Well, if you reinvented the wheel on this one, good for you. Nice work, you couldn’t being born late in the game.