Was Nietzsche a panpsychic?

As I said, Nietzsche is taking the reader on a ride here and it is a tricky passage.

Okay, I will assume you’re right about his use of ‘nonsense’. Moving on-- How are you – how is anyone – qualified to say that reductio ad absurdum would be the only disproof possible of the existence of a single kind of causality? Is it impossible disprove singular causality through empirical knowledge? (How?) I think all Nietzsche is saying is that it’s not completely nonsensical to think that will is the causal force of the world. He wants to plant the idea that it’s possible (for all people presently know about the world).

I’ll keep this in mind when I resume my Nietzsche reading. I will also be keen to study every passage I come across that explicitly mentions will to power to see if Nietzsche further suggests or implies that it is the fundamental reality. I’m only halfway through GoM and I’ve still never read TSZ, I’ve been saving it until I’ve read all of N’s major works, of which GoM is the last major work I haven’t finished. Then I still need to read Antichrist, Will to Power and other unfinished/unpublished works.

Don’t mind me everyone; carry on your conversation about how to interpret the N-man.

For my own part, I’m still struggling with how to imagine a will without consciousness. I’m fairly certain at this point that N-ster did see a Schopenhauerian will in everything, but if I know our good friend Freddy (which I don’t), he wouldn’t have (necessarily) equated that with consciousness (thus coming just shy of panpsychism).

But the more I think about it, the more parallels I see between Fred’s concept of WTP and basic Newtonian physics (I’ll get to Darwinism later). Newton’s 3rd law: for every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. What this says is that if that I push a huge bolder, that bolder is going to resist me. Physicists call this inertia, Nietzch calls this WPT. My will has overpowered the bolder. But if that bolder was twice its size, I may not be able to push it–the bolder’s will has overpowered mine.

It’s right there–written in the laws of physics.

I agree the universe isn’t endowed with mind, nor have I found that N. thought so, whether or not one uses Wiki for definitions.

I’m most pleased ILP has given me things to think about, and I thank you, Sauwelios, for leading me to at least a rudimentary way of my understanding of Nietzsche’s basic thought. I’m probably not completely accurate with what I think, but it’s a good start for me. I don’t need to quote N. to be able to start working on reconciliation with his thoughts. :smiley:

True.

Empirical data must still be interpreted. Only if it cannot be interpreted in terms of a single kind of causality is one permitted—and then indeed obliged—to assume multiple kinds of causality—two at first. This is because the number of kinds of causality one assumes is otherwise quite trivial: it will at best tell one something about oneself, one’s own perspective—one’s partiality, prejudices, limitations. And that’s not yet philosophy.

I find it a bit odd that you’d only read TSZ after having read certain unpublished material. The Will to Power is just a selection from the Nachlass (“leave-behind”)—so why not read all of the Nachlass before TSZ, then? I myself began with TSZ, and I’d do it again—even though Nietzsche himself says one “cannot” begin with that. Anyway, whatever floats your boat.

GoM actually contains a passage I forgot when I said the limitation of the will to power to life, as opposed to all of existence, could only be defended if one disregarded the Nachlass and BGE 36. It’s near the end of GoM II.12—and when you get there, you may want to compare BGE 22.

Yes, very good. And what is consciousness if not the resultant of a great complexity of neurophysical reactions?

Yes, excellent. Thus Nietzsche repeatedly spoke of “becoming what one is”—in other words, actualising one’s potential. In fact, Kaufmann at one point translates wollenden Subjekte as “active subjects” (probably because “willing subjects” would suggest that the subjects were quite passive, which is quite the opposite of what Nietzsche meant). So willing to power means actively actualising the potency that’s already in one, like a flower is in the seed. The will to flower, then!—though not in the sense of “flower power”, but in the sense of flourishing… Not peace and love, but war and love: Ares and Aphrodite.

Sure.

Well, I think Nietzsche wanted precisely to get rid of such Gods and teleology. Thus he says:

[size=95]“Can we remove the idea of a goal from the [cosmic] process and then affirm the process in spite of this?— This would be the case if something were attained at every moment within this process—and always the same. […] Every basic character trait that is encountered at the bottom of every event, that finds expression in every event, would have to lead the individual who experienced it as his own basic character trait to welcome every moment of universal existence with a sense of triumph. The crucial point would be that one experienced this basic character trait in oneself as good, valuable—with pleasure.” (Source: Nietzsche, The Will to Power, section 55; Kaufmann translation, with my amendment.)[/size]

He then goes on to suggest the will to power as this basic character trait, and I think the pleasure is found in the commanding aspect of the will to power.

And I thank you, and gib, for showing me that I’m not a total failure as a teacher. You quoted my signature, by the way, which does not have directly to do with any of this. :mrgreen:

You’re a very good teacher, Sauwelios, and you’ve given me a lot to ponder. Please excuse me if I take some time off from the thread to think. :smiley:

Sauwelios,

Would it be fair to say that Nietzsche thinks of “will” as an alternative to Newtonian “force”?

And where Schopenhauer is concerned, would it be fair to say that both he and Nietzsche understand that this driving force within us called the “will” is obviously what brings about our behavior, and whereas that which brings about the behavior of other supposedly inanimate objects is typically thought to be these Newtonian forces, the term “force” here is just a place holder for some inner driving that we don’t see, and we don’t understand? So why not, Schopenhauer says followed by Nietzsche, something like the will we find in ourselves?

It’s still hard for me to see this sans consciousness, but it is a step in that direction. It sounds to me, so far, that Nietzsche at least contemplated the possibiliy of consciousness pervading everything.

I’m not sure about Schopenhauer, as I’m not a Schopenhauer expert, but this is definitely pretty much what Nietzsche is saying. The thing is that, according to Nietzsche, we only have inside experience of force as will. That is to say, we do not really know force, but only its “accompaniment”, the feeling we call “will”. Therefore, we could only really understand force as will-force.

Yes, the doctrine of the will to power ascribes at least a rudimentary form of consciousness to every center of force. The will itself is “a pressing feeling”.

It would help you to read a lot more by Nietzsche. He clarifies Der Wille zur Macht (the desire for power) here and there. It’s vitalism of a sort. Your analysis is not very warm. It has more to do with 19th c German biological theorists than philosophy.

I think this is quite right. Nietzsche was as antithetical to Schopenhauer as Marx was to Hegel. Until Marx’ death Marx had been a pupil of his teacher Hegel, and until Nietzsche’s death Nietzsche had been a pupil of Schopenhauer. Interesting is the question who was or is synthetical to Hegel (“Thesis”) and Marx (“Antithesis”) and who was or is synthetical to Schopenhauer (“Thesis”) and Nietzsche (“Antithesis”).

Put in the right name:

Hegel (“Thesis”) + Marx (“Antithesis”) = . . . . . . . . . (“Synthesis”).

Schopenhauer (“Thesis”) + Nietzsche (“Antithesis”) = . . . . . . . . . (“Synthesis”).

Good luck!

Oh… I thought he was asking if Nietzsche was a “pan-psychotic”… :confused: :blush:

No, he said “panpsychic”, but I don’t know, whether he meant “pan-psychotic” …

:-k

I think the question how to understand Nietzsche’s Wille zur Macht („will to power“, „will to the might“ ) can mainly be answered by his personal and philosophical development, and - last but not least - by his language use, and his language was of course German. Nietzscche was a philologist, a poet, and of course a philosopher.

By the way: the German word zur is a composition which includes two words: the prepostion zu („to“) and the article der („the“), in this case der is not masculine, but feminine because of dative singular. Thus der Wille zu( de)r Macht is „the will to the might (power)“.

Philosophically Nietzsche was a pupil of Schopenhauer, and this fact should not be confused, if it is said there were two or three or even four or five stages in Nietzsche’s life:

(1) childhood and youth,
(2) from his youth till his „terminated contact“ with Wagner,
(3) from his „terminated contact“ with Wagner till his „Zarathustra“,
(4) from his „Zarathustra“ till his collapse,
(5) from his collapse till his death.

Philosphical interested people interpret (probably correctly) the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stage as the main stages in Nietzsche’s philosophical life. The most Nietzscheans say that the „terminated contact“ with Wagner was the most important change in Nietzsches life, but that’s wrong. This „terminated contact“ wasn’t as much a terminated contact as it is often interpretated.

And we don’t have to forget Nietzsche’s desease because Nietzsche had been ill since a certain time. Probably was this one of the main reasons for his success - he himself often mentioned it, and many of his philosophical explanations are based on medical, physiological, especially immunological, and of course psychlogical aspects. He won or gained more or less of these aspects because of his pain, I think.

Nietzsche was perhaps a pan-immunologist, a pan-immunological philosopher, in any case a „life-philosopher“ (Lebensphilosoph) who had learned by his teacher: the „life-philosopher“ (Lebensphilosoph) Schopenhauer.

A Pan-Psychotic Libertine of de Sade’s tradition.

Wasn’t what the op wanted, but it most certainly fits.

Oh God! It’s not what I wanted! I’m fucking crushed!

(what is pan-psychotic?)

it has to do with panning reality, and becoming totally disillusioned about what’s out there, thereby turning psychic energies into a closed, rather than an open system. De Sade turned his mascochistic , self torture into an outward directed theatre of cruelty.

It may work the other way too.Upstairs, where my dear beloved son took his life, the room has exhibited noises, as if someone was walking around up there. I went there yesterday, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. But it is not coincidental, that lately, i have been exploring channeling, and have been thinking a lot about Nietzsche.that there may be something coincidental to this phenomena in a broader range.If Nietzsche was pan-psychic, it is just possible that his aura would cover a very broad range.

Hello, Gib.

Please do not confuse the word “panpsychotic” with the word “panpsychism”!

Hello, Obe.

Well done!

@ Gib

De Sade is not the only example for “panpsychotic”.

obe, you can find meaning in anything, can’t you :wink:

Oh great, now I have to figure out what “panpschotic” is.

Is that like a “pan-Scottish”? Like what would happen to the world is the Scots took over?