What a wise man would do

Right here:

By making a distinction between thoughts and talk and “real stuff”. By “many people believe” you imply there is an alternate.

Sure, but if you go live in a cave for X years, how do you know your model isn’t out of date…? That humanity didn’t suddenly get smarter.

The reclusive Wiseman, is a Wiseman without hope. He shuts himself away, having come to the conclusion that other people are dumb, and will always remain dumb. And that somehow perhaps, simply being in the presence of dumb will dilute his wisdom. Vanity is never wise I think, nor is an unwillingness to get your hands dirty.

Hopeful Wiseman stays within society, and fights dumb.

The dumb lack the ability to grasp wisdom let’s say. The wise though, who lack the ability to render their wisdom into a format that the dumb can comprehend, are not quite wise enough.

They try to, but once they do, they just get shut out and ignored.

It’s like, handing an eight year old the power to block you, and ignore you, and whenever she hears something she doesn’t like she throws a hissy fit and pushes the I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT button.

Rational communication, from that point on, is continuously denied. Like some tragic romantic movie with a stuck up bitch who refuses to listen to the voice of reason.

I must have lost the ability to communicate because you seem to think that I disagree with your statements. I’m the one who first said that a wise man is engaged and not reclusive.

Yeah, the model is not the reality. The model needs constant feedback to remain synchronized with the reality.

@phyllo, Nah, my fault, didn’t read some bits of the first page. :smiley:

What about models of things not yet rendered into external ‘realities’. How real are they…?

@philosophy 1001

That’s a failure of the voice of reason though. Reason must find a medium of transmission that is impossible to be ignored, and impossible to disregard. Though I admit, the line between that, and brainwashing is probably a fine one. :smiley:

These days, everything has a block button.

The trick then would be to convince them that pressing it would never be a worthwhile option. Even eight year olds have imperatives. Cake related perhaps, but still. Anyway, why are we trying to make wise eight year olds…? :smiley:

PG13 at least, for the wisdom movie.

The easiest way to create a society of the wise, is to reward wisdom.

Well, I think it depends on the eight year old, if one has a slightly larger brain than most of the other eight year olds, and convinced themselves that by hurting you they are helping you, it becomes an increasingly difficult affair.

I’d say a wise man knows when to intervene in affairs of others and when not to.

I wise man doesn’t make 1+1=3

:question: What does this mean? A fool might not make 1+1=3 either. We are all wise in some things and foolish in others. Do you see the opposite of wise as dumb?

It means this…

Is the opposite of wise foolishness or ignorance? Ignorance is remedial. Is foolishness?

Ignorance of some things results in wisdom whereas ignorance of other things results in foolishness.

What are those things?

Ignorance of the desire to rape a woman creates wisdom within me.

I would say that this example does not show an ignorance of things which results in wisdom. “Ignorance of a desire” is stretching the meaning of ‘ignorance’. And it doesn’t produce wisdom.

What then is your un-stretched definition of ignorance?

There would be nobody for noticing the “better Earth”, for having the thought “oh, what a better Earth this is”.

Yes, that all is bad, but what should the humans do according to you?