Why Isn't The Belief In God Considered Mental Illness?

Artimas, that about naive was tongue in cheek humor about ignorance…

James, pssst, might wanna check your spell check, literal, not liberal… :slight_smile: :wink:

Oopsss … #-o
… gotta stop reading while I’m still yawning … :confused:

Some liberals are literals as are some conservatives.

Lol my spellcheck wants to put liberal as well must be a what you used most thing.

I’m not liberal, I am not associated with either parties. Both sides have some stupid and some good points.

Nihilism makes only sense when admitting that 'no monopoly religion/dogmas" has improved humanity. But the problem is that under such a circumstance, nihilism is just another dogma and will lead to the same results. Religions promote altruism toward those of the same faith and all state that they are the only “true path” to God, hence the hatred/violence they help spread…the Nihilist dialectic just does the same.

THE ONLY MENTAL ILLNESS:
Only people who don’t have a strong sense of self-love could continue the condition of slavery, can continue to perpetuate it and continue to accept it. Therefore only a species that hates itself can thus perpetuate its own enslavement and participate in its own enslavement. Therefore the solution is self-love before any other form of love/empathy. M. Passio

just look for the empathic currency and society on my site for further input.

What God are we talking about here? The fundy skydaddy or the reasonable cause and preserver of existence?
Atheists are not immune to mental illness.

Why Isn’t The Belief In God Considered Mental Illness?

the only insanity is expecting a group/community to represent one’s own beliefs. Experience with God/Universe is a very personal experience. Group thinks are the problem. Spiritual dogmas are cultural marxism

Spirituality > religion

Looking up at the universe is a spiritual experience, not a religious one. Going to church to read a systematic dogmatic book, that’s religion.

So there can be no spirituality in group think?

Spirituality is where it all begins, religion is where it ends … A shame, that is true, because it is well meant, but experience shows that religion is often the death of spirituality.

Human beings are naturally spiritual and their expressions of this are often masterful and ingenious, showing the variety of cultural development. But once we get dogmatic, the art and poetry dies, which is the natural way to express spiritual feeling.

How can this be construed as mental illness?

I don’t see it as a mental illness in the sense that some people have been suggesting, but it is a disorder of a kind. Those effected by this disorder have an egocentric world view in which they suppose to be given an inside look at the “mind of God” and are in on the secret, that God will punish all those who fail to “believe” and they only will escape because they do.

It isnt so much a belief in a God, as the expansion of that belief and this being an insider, having the holy spirit, who tells secrets. I am still a theist or deist to some degree, but the spoutings of some Christians depress me.

Remind me again, who owns the media? :sunglasses:

Most people talking about all the ‘good’ of religion shriek in horror when all the destructive aspects of it comes out in conversational circulation.

Behind every curtain of authority, tyranny, or government there is the justification of god and religion.

Research Buddhist segregationist genocide in Myanmar.

The difference is that science doesn’t try to regulate everybody socially. Religion on the other hand does.

Independent science doesn’t exist anymore in that all of it is heavily controlled, financed, and regulated by government along with the military industrial complex. Government being a historical extension of religion…

All religions are fundamentalist to their core.

Either god exists or doesn’t. The universe is the universe, not god.