Saul Williams

I noticed there are a few fans on the boards. I just got ‘Amythest Rock Star,’ and am rapidly wearing it out. Listening to some of those songs is like being on acid…truely mind bending the way that man can control language. ‘Coded Language’ should be the manifesto of the new generation.

i agree, fantastic…something a bit similar but less etherial is ‘the streets’, the british eminem he’s been labelled but he got intelligence…which i like, and it’s just so english…even the music is english, a weird mix of garage-reggae and many other styles that i am just not up on…
…come 'ere you i’m gonna batter you, come 'ere!!
hehe
:smiley:

ckeck out the-streets.co.uk

looks like suggs, sweet…

I love the way you lot are posting this stuff in the philosophy section. As for Amethyst Rock Star, it’s a great album, but I feel it lacks some of the lyrical intensity I was hoping for. I think Saul Williams is better as a philosopher than he is as some sort of angry, ranting ‘voice of dissatisfaction.’ His readings from “She” had a much more profound impact on me than Amethyst Rock Star…it’s still damn good though. I can’t wait till he comes out with his classic record. Compared to most other rappers though, he’s way out in front (alongside Blackalicious’s Gift of Gab and, in his better moments, Mos Def).

Has anyone got/read “The Seventh Octave”? I can’t find it anywhere, but it is apparently better than “She.”

And Thales, as you mentioned on another board, some of those phrases of wisdom from “She” are truly enlightening - you talked about the Kahlil Gibran piece (i am a poet who composes…). I think it was from reading Gibran that Williams came up with the idea of peppering “She” with phrase poems like “I drew a blank and I think that it may be the best thing I have ever drawn” - genius!.

Also Thales, I was interested in your “moments of perfection” - I have never experienced anything like it, though I wish I had…what do you think they arise out of?

jawaad i agree absolute genius, better than vodka…hehe

i’ve read lots of stuff that likens such moments to momentarily dropping the ego, the i, most of that is heavily influenced by easten thought…the same pattern emerges in every tradition of reflective thought paganism, magick of crowley et al, existentialism, christianity and probably islam too but i have yet to emerse myself in the koran…everyone is saying the same thing but nobody is listening right just yet…i have no idea what caused it or what it really was but it gives me focus and drive and that is all i can ask really…i look forward to death as poviding me with the answer to this and all other questions; if i can think i’ll understand, if not well i’ll still understand it all better than anyone living…
read huxley, robert anton wilson, bloom, grant morrison’s invisibles comic series, these people have illuminated my own inherited insights…but there are many others, manymany authentic philosophers but i encourage you to spread your wings and open your mind, make up your own decisions on what you come across…tis the only way…
got i do go on…simply common sense, lets push things forward…