The appearance of absolute nothingness

Right.

Me and my mate have been having this massive arguement about what complete nothing looks like. He thinks it would be black. i think it wouldnt be any colour at all.

Imagine just seeing black, if all there was was black space, then you would be able to wave youre hand about in it. but that is not nothingness! with nothing there would be no space for there to be an absence of light in, therefore there would be no black, there would also be no time to exist in to see this fabled black void.

I would appreciate any opinions

thanx very mucho

well, i am going to be plain again, but there is no nothingness, no void, so to speculate about it is from our human (non godly) perspective, somehow, difficult.

I think what might be closest to the perception of nothingness is maybe our understanding of death (not the process of dying), but the absence of existence at all. but this is not realised, unless we are spirits or angels or whatever of that sort, perhaps. so I claim, people cannot understand and even try to understand the void.

im not even sure if void is the right word, beucase void to me implies a massive open space. And there wouldnt be a space, so i dont know what word to use

Difficult indeed. I say it’s impossible. Any attempt to define nothingness is per definition doomed to failure, and yes, that would count for this one as well…

ah, so we’re both wrong then…

Who knows?

How can something be nothingless, if it has spatial dimensions? If it is a space of spaciality, then it exists as we would be able to pass through it, and look at something in it. Black requires spatial dimensions does it not? So how can a black “block of nothingness” infact be nothingness? If something has the possibilites of entertaining any thing that is not nothingness, then it itself is not nothingness.

“The Dao that can be named is not the enternal Dao”

In talking about nothingness you unfortunately name it. By nameing it you give it a property. It haveing a property conflicts with it being no-thing. So really the only way we can comprehend nothingness is in the negeative. To say it is something we can’t imagen, something that has never been imagened, and something that never will be.

I’d say your both wrong. For being black is a property, but being colorless is also a property. Of course, I’m sure you realize by now, everything I’ve said about nothingness is nessisarly wrong- just because I said something.

Its a trip, eh?

What does nothing look like?

What does something look like?

What does anything look like?

What does everything look like?

Well. Would a black hole look like nothing? Due to their nature black holes do not have any visual appearance.

However to the human eye the object “nothing” does look black. Because without any stimuli to excite the eyes everything is defaulted to black.

Seriously, ‘absolute nothingness’ is what you see every time you open your eyes and gaze upon the world. Basically, what a camera sees. But your intelligent mind turns this nothingness into something that is ordered and subject to certain laws.

Does this help?

you have the fact that something that is in motion stays there until …

so even in a vacuum, as close to nothingness as we have become, there is motion being acted on by another force, this chain reaction goes on infintely into the universe

pure nothingness can never be acheived, there will always be a reaction to the action that is taking place to create the nothingness, constantly putting something into the space that was just vacated.

When we look across the room at a chair are we looking thru nothing to see the chair?

no

we are looking thru billions of differant things that do not happen to reflect light

BTW, hi im new here, go easy on me

that;s exactly what I associate nothingness with. throughout our life we cannot experience nothingness, there is no such thing for us, for there is always something that our mind connects to something else and thus we think. we may perhaps “enter” or become part of nothingness after we cross the Great Divide, but then, we will not be able to discuss it because we will be dead. unless some angelic provider puts the heaven version of “ilovephilosohy.com” on the net.

“It” wouldn´t look like anything, because “it´s” no-thing. To even speak of it or being there is to fall victim to grammar. It is inconceivable, as there´s nothing to conceive. In Heideggerian terms, it´s non-being. For example, what you´re going to be when you´re dead - nothing. Can´t you get your head round utter nothingness?

is the dao nothingness?
then the dao doesn’t exist…

ok… i can define nothingness… nothingness is a concept…period.
i agree with the king,its not black, it just ISN’T anything…
but it’s a concept, hard or imposible 4 us to fathom…

wow explain please !!! :smiley:

the force that ‘creates nothingness’? if nothingness doesn’t exist…
it exists as a contept,…si it exists/doesn’t…it depends on your perspective.
also…
reaction to what action to put ‘‘something’’ where?

what is ‘‘something’’ (in the philo sense) by the way… any quantum science background philosophers?