Realists Anonymous

From Geoffrey Sayre-McCord’s “Introduction: The Many Moral Realisms” in Essays on Moral Realism

Recognizing the startling resurgence in realism, Don Philahue (of The Don Philahue Show) invited a member of Realists Anonymous to bare his soul on television. After a brief introduction documenting the spread of realism, Philahue turned to his guest:

DP: What kinds of realism were you into, Hilary?

H: The whole bag, Don. I was a realist about logical terms, abstract entities, theoretical postulates - you name it.

DP: And causality, what about causality?

H: That too, Don. (Audience gasps.)

DP: I’m going to press you here, Hilary. Did you at any time accept moral realism?

H: (staring at feet): Yes.

DP: What effect did all this realism have on your life?

H: I would spend hours aimlessly wandering the streets, kicking large stones and shouting, “I refute you thus!” It’s embarrassing to recall.

DP: There was worse, wasn’t there Hilary?

H: I can’t deny it, don. (Audience gasps.) Instead of going to work I would sit at home fondiling ashtrays and reading voraciously about converging scientific theories. I kept a copy of “Hitler: A Study in Tyranny” hidden in the icebox, and when no one was around I would take it out and chant “The Nazies were bad. The Nazis were really bad.”

Hilarious.

Regards,

James

What an amazing story. Kudos! [size=1]Custom cabinets can provide a unique look for your home.[/size]

Now I understand, pretty much trying to force “objectivity” in concepts that are not even define.
Even if you think you are acting in the best way possible, it is still totally subjective and thus unjustifiable

Objectively speaking - that doesn’t appear to be true.

What makes you think morality is totally subjective?

Yeah, it is retro-paradoxical.