Only the concept of time exists.

Time doesn’t exist. There are parallel universes which are like the slides of a slide show. Each is an infinitely small increment of what we see as time. Each is slightly different from its parallel counterpart. Our present state is only a perceived transition from one to the next.

Sorry if this is a bit rough, but I wrote it as it came out. Anyway, does this make sense to anyone? If not I can try and explain it a little better.

Huh?
Existence is time.
The rest are your theories on how temporality works.

Whatever the cause or process behind it, it’s it’s still called time.

Yes omega, WE still call it time. That is not my point though.

Time is only our concept of a continuous measurement, from one point to another. Outside of our view of it, time consists of infinitely small, immeasurable points. So much so that they are not points, but I don’t know what other word to use.

Outside of our concept of it, time does not exist. Instead it is a compilation of separate “points”. To something that is timeless, (ie does not experience time) these would be individual segments. When put together, they would only be uniform to something that experiences them.

Come on I know somebody can follow what I’m trying to say, help me explain this in an easier way to understand.

We see time as being linear and having direction. This leads to the question “what happened BEFORE time started?” Since there is no before, time could not have been “started”. Instead what we call time is only the chronological secession of separate timeless parts. We experience these parts much like the slides of a movie flow together, to appear as if they’re moving.

Time is the word symbol used to denote our measurement of sequential state variations. Without change (state variations) there is no time.

The question is, how big is a slide? Because the slides are infinitely divisible, you’re wrong. Kind of. I think your conclusion doesn’t really follow from your premises, but keep workin’ at it.

This thread is a good example of how human understanding gets confused by linguistic limitatinos and variatrions in definitions.

Time is existence, so you cannot ascribe the characteristic of existence to it.

When we say that a phenomanon exists we are stating that it has a temporal signature, an apperance that flows and consistently alters. This consistenlt alteration constitutes its possibility, its spatial dimensions.

The phrase “time does not exist” is an oxymoron.

that doesn’t simplify anything, it doesn’t remove the need for time from the equation, it just makes it more complicated because it makes time an illusion that requires time to exist. for there to be a sequence of slides in a movie, they must be presented in succession in time for them to appear as motion.

I think you’re saying essentially the same thing that Hume says in the Treatise Bk 1 - our idea of time comes from the succession of events, and we can’t form any idea of time apart from experiencing these succeeding events. So, if you want someone to explain it better than you, Hume might be a good bet!

I sort of understand what you’re saying. It’s like if space, the universe, stretches for infinity in all directions, then where would you say the start of it was?

You’re saying time is like space in that way in that we experience it moving forward, but really there is no forward since there is no beginning or end. You’re saying time only exists if there is a starting point, but since there is no “start” there is no time.

THats what i got, Time is a only a measurment of existance. Just like “inches” dont exist. its the nothingness between A_______B. Nothingness cant exist.

Hume’s great and all, but modern physics has a lot more to say about time. I like the idea that time is another dimension of space, making the universe a 4 (or more)-dimensional foam, and our consciousness only exists in one direction of it. That’s some heavy shit right there.

ok, here is my complete philosophy of time (for now im still young so it may change slightly)

Does time exist? What is time? Lots of people believe that time doesn’t exist or that it is a man made thing. They are wrong, time does exist but the way it is measured is man made. I believe that time is relative to five factors. These five factors are motion, space, gravity and relativity, and from a religious point of view, God. Why do i believe this? I believe this because these five factors are never ending, exist everywhere, and effect everything. Now i will explain these five factors in more detail to further prove my beliefs.
Firstly I must say that the intervals in which we measure time are the only man made parts of time. This is the same for the intervals in which we measure length, but most people who deny the existence of time wouldn’t deny the existence of length. This is to say that for one to deny the existence of time they must deny the existence of length. I believe this because those that say time is a man made thing should take note that length is measured by a man made method also.
Now onto motion. Everything in the universe is moving in one way or another. Speed is a measure of length and time. No measure of speed can exist without time. This is because speed equals unit of length per unit of time. It is similar for things such as filming and rewatching something. Things being watched move at move at frames per unit of time. I believe that every thing in the universe is moving because of the pull of gravity.
Space is also another factor of time. This is because spacetime is four-dimensional and a continuum. This means that where ever the three dimensions of space, length, width, and depth exist, so must time. I believe this because i believe that time exist where ever space exist. Next, gravity and relativity.
Gravity can cause things to speed up or slow down, and is the reason everything in the universe moves. This increase or decrease of speed is relative to the space it occupies.Things move differently in different amounts of gravity. When something enters an area of higher gravity, it appears to move slower from an outside view. Since time is relative, inside the area of higher gravity it would appear as if every thing is moving normally. I believe this to be true because of the scientific evidence we have obtained through years of research.
Lastly, God effects time. I believe that God has a set amount of “time” for the universe(s) before all life is ended. How ever, this doesn’t mean that time will cease to exist. I also believe that God measures time differently than we do. I believe this to be true because i believe in God.
Now to answer the question of does time exist. The answer is yes, and the previous reasons explained are why. I will now answer the second question of what is time. Time is the relationship between all events that take place in a spacetime continuum, and involves at least one of the factors of time. This would mean that time exist even when no one is around to measure it. This philosophy is the reason i believe that time exist.

[size=150]Time Slide Theory:[/size]
By. E.B. Burke

Time is defined as the system of sequential relations that any event has to another [event]. Through this, one can plainly see that time is only a concept to its observers.

Time can be seen as a grouping of multiple slides in a moving picture. Each slide is a set of mathematical codes. These codes command every form of mass, energy, and lack thereof, within their limitations, which are the laws of physics. When compiled, the codes of a slide form a distinct snapshot of a moment [in time].

There is no distance between adjacent slides, instead they are synchronous. It is the laws of physics which create the concept of time. This is because energy, mass, and the speed of light all act in unison. This is self-evident in the equation “Energy = Mass times the Speed of Light squared”.

Let us consider an object in space that is instructed to move from point A, (in slide 1) to point B (in slide 2). As this object shifts between slides, it is influenced by its mass, and energy (velocity), while bound by the speed of light, to determine the time it takes to shift positions.

If you still don’t understand, then perhaps this will help to clarify things.

You have a ball in your hand, which you then drop to the ground. The ball falls to the ground in 1.5 seconds. This is time; the relation of one event, (you dropping the ball) to another (the ball hitting the ground). The ball doesn’t fall at this rate because time is making it do so, instead the ball falls at this rate because of the forces acting upon it. This rate at which it falls is determined by the mass of the ball, gravity, the force at which you release it, and any friction forced upon it. The speed of light is only a factor in that the ball cannot exceed it.

The slides of the ball do not need time in between them, because the physics acting upon the ball create the lag of time.

kant’s irremovable goggles have been removed…

-Imp

Your example of a slide show also reminds me of the flicker of a strobe light.

A movie is captured at 24 frames per second. Has anybody determined how many frames are in our actual reality/our vision or sight?

I’m also curious to know the correct time when everything under the sun is running at 8 and 1/2 minute delay. Does the present start before the light gets to us, or after?

Good old albert Einstien used that example of time speeding up if your with a beautiful girl, but slowing down if you just burned your hand. This always suggested to me that man not only made time, but he made multiple times, as in: time runs differently in seperate heads.

Right now–I believe we are both part of time, and that time exists outside of our experience. But with all things, that could change.

Are you being sarcastic? :confused:

not exactly… the kantian idea of mandating the existence of space and time as necessary for an “external” world is nothing but an elaborate circle…

-Imp