Most serious issue facing man: Why must the world continue?

Give me a good answer, seriously, I want to know why it should. What must we continue life when it is a tautology of pain? Satyr, you will be ignored by me if you post ad-hominem comments, if you disagree, answer accordingly with arguments.

I think everyone in the world should answer this, instead of nihilistically dwindling the days pointlessly until they die.

Aiden - if you kill yourself, the world goes away.

Just a tip.

There is no point to continuing life…other than its part of our instinct to survive and have our species survive…but it really makes no universal difference. Unless…the theory is to survive and keep or kind alive so that we can ultimately advance to the point where we can unlock all the secrets to the universe which at that point would give us the answers we need about whether it makes sense to keep our species going…

You know, your posts reveal to me that you want to live in some childish dream-world instead of facing reality, and you become prejudiced against someone shattering it.

Seriously, no more shit from you guys, I want to hear your reasons. The reason I don’t commit suicide is for the same reason you don’t commit suicide.

I repeat: Why should the world continue? Why must we continue? Why must we dwell on stupid issues instead of just maturely ending the ourselves?

Why should we procreate? What does it do? Why must we do it?

We are going to die anyway. Why not take down life with us? Why must everyone be a liar and an imposter? There is nothing to gain from life! Doesn’t anyone see that?

Secrets of the universe? Why do we come out with such childish nonsense to continue ourselves? We’re fucked! We’re all destined for a nasty end! Who cares about the secrets of life, if there is such a thing?

This is just me rambling today, but the more I read your posts the more I come to realize that life [and reality] is perfect this way (the way you describe it). Don’t you see it sometimes, Aidan?

There is no must, it is not a have to thing. It is about desire and or probablity. Must procreation continue? Must life continue? Must man continue? Must the world continue? No, but it is a possibility all will continue for a time, It does not have to. There is no master compulsion or fixed route nor set way. but, life seems to desire life and since there is a crashing avalance of it, well, it is not going to stop anytime soon.

But should you wish to stop your life, there are easy ways to do it. I hope you don’t I rather enjoy you.

Aiden - it’s just a stupid question. It assumes that the world has intention. There is no good answer because the question itself is gobbledegook.

We do seem to procreate, but there is no imperative that we do. Questioning an imperative that doesn’t exist is nonsensical. Why must we? There is no must. So what?

That we are eventually going to die means absolutely nothing. A beautiful song is on the radio right now - should I not listen, because it will end?

How about if I just fucking feel like listening?

Aiden - grow up. Make your garden grow or check out.

If nothing matters, there is no reason to take anyone with you.

If I knew who you were, however, I would contact the relevant Australian authorities and finger you as a threat to public safety. You would then be important, at least.

Right now, these attempts at dismissing the anxiety you feel are just uninteresting. Too bad you don’t see that.

If all this makes me a liar and an imposter, tough shit.

obviously you missed my point…there is none to life…everything we do and are bound by is instinct and society’s established rules…but let me assure you there are plenty that dont follow this set of as you call them “rules”

Wrong.
The point (or premise of the opening question ) itself is wrong and nor are we bound by instinct – quite the contrary.

Humans are apart from the animal kingdom mainly because we need to learn from fellow humans and adapt physical surroundings to survive. [As such, that which impedes a person’s ability to learn is anti-human.] Humans can not survive on instinct alone.

i am not saying that we are bound by nature at all…but there are underlying instinct that intially puts us on the path we are on as a human species…of course we have evolved to the point where we have complete freedom

Aiden seems to need some grand reason in order to act.

Why climb a mountain? ´cos it´s there.

Why do anything? ´cos we are.

If ones perception continually changes then who is to say a better justification may not be reached tomorrow.

Indeed, better indefinite optimism than definite annihilation.

Unless you’re a nihilsit :laughing:

There´s always one! :angry:

And I´d imagine a nihilist would accept others have values.

Aiden

I don’t think your question is absurd on the whole, although it has absurdity to it. It’s extremely common and on the whole unanswerable. Responding to someone convinced that life has no point seems a fruitless goal, if the convinced person doesn’t put faith in the principals of thesis and synthesis. Even so, as a philosophical question, death has been argued to death.

But suicidal people will often desparately turn to some supposed rationale. They’ll say that “shrinks pretending to care” have no real rationale except in how to coerce them. If philosophy is supposed to be the bulk of reason, then it has a role to play in the goals of psychologists and philanthropists in preventing suicide, and if the question has been answered a million times over, then any philosopher encountering the question should hope for the best set of response to at least plug into.

What’s the best way to answer a nullset?

Either prove your own claim, or prove why your claim is not a nullset.

Ie: Either prove to me that life has no meaning, or prove why the meaning vs. meaningless of life can be determined by empirical evidence.

If you cannot prove either, then you cannot assume you have the answer to the nullset. My trying to convince anyone toward one element of the nullset only furthers the irrationality in “failure to disprove what is just assumed correct.” Eg: “We think you’re a witch. Convince us otherwise.”

A more productive question on this subject might be “what forseeable outcomes from the present can be theorized through the propagation of life?” Theories of designing new universes through artifical black holes, anyone?

Sure, as along as they can see the values are nil :laughing:

Speak for yourself, mate. I’m having fun.