Fixation => Contradiction => Question => Answer => Fixation

Fixation => Contradiction => Question => Thinking => Answer => Fixation

This is how I see the vicious cycle around common thought process.

We have many fixations (rigidly held perspectives) in our mind.

What we see as truth, knowledge, common sense, moral, belief, meaning, prejudice, attitude, habit, etc, etc, are often not more than fixation of mind about certain matter.

Since many (if not most) of these fixations are created by not very conscious/logical thinking, they tend to be questionable and moreover they tend to contradict each other.

The contradiction, the sense of friction causes uncomfortable sensation and this can trigger questioning.

With the question, we engage in thinking activity, which isn’t always very logically sound.

Since our thinking is done for obtaining an answer, we often conclude and give an answer in haste. We jump to the conclusion because questioning and also thinking is stressful and uncomfortable state, as long as the sense of contradiction persists.

And by obtaining the answer (of questionable quality), it may become yet another fixation in our mind, creating more contradiction, in turn. :slight_smile:

Although some of us do think reasonably and try to “unify” or “align” fixation so that there would be no inner dichotomy/contradiction, most of us fail to achieve this.
It’s because our mind is divided into two parts, the surface awareness which consists of the focal points of our fixations, and the subconscious region which is the bases from which our awareness is projected.
And as long as we don’t become well aware of the division and the subconscious region, we can’t understand the direction of our awareness vector and it makes the unification attempt very difficult if not impossible.

I would say that more effective solution is to verify the fixations (of perspectives) and frictions found in the question (or the feeling and desires/motivation behind the question), rather than trying to unify and to keep the fixations.

This can be seen as the refining process of our messy and confused mental links.

It’s pretty easy to say, but not very easy, just like many other things.
It’s difficult because our awareness/attention is a bit like a light.
When it’s not focused, we can be aware of things around.
But when our attention is focused, we only see the focused object.

[The base of our awareness] ==> [focal point]

And the fixation is like having fixed focus. Permanent narrowed vision about the matter.
To make the situation worse, what we would like to see is at the base of attention where the beam is directed from. We want to see what is projecting our awareness in certain way and fixating it.
However, since the attention is poured to “the focal point” and not to “the base”, it’s not easy to become aware of the things at the base, especially if the fixation is strong.

In other words, the vicious cycle of fixation even deprives the awareness so needed to resolve the situation, by creating the subconscious region.

This is why the fixation creates “blind” people. And they become blind to the key element that push them.
They may know the side issues and supporting elements, but the key issues remains unseen.

For others, it’s relatively easy to detect the key element.
It’s the opposite of their fixation. It’s the back plane that pushed it like a parabolic antenna into the direction.

Also, if we try to draw the attention to the base of their fixation, these people may react with typical denial behaviors.

Seeing all these in others would eventually help seeing the same mechanism working in ourselves.

Other than that, trying to see things from different (and opposite) perspectives helps.
It’s like a stretching exercise for our attention/awareness.
It brings back the fluidity and reduces obsessions.

Although we need to maintain clear focus when we want to think about given subject, we can bring back our awareness into fluid state once its finished.
There is no need to keeping our attention pointed and attached to something/some-direction, all the time.
It will stiffens our mind (and the body. as well).

Resolving the fixation is the real solution for our questions.
In other words, it’s the destructive analysis of fixations/contradictions/questions triad.

So the root of all contradictions are fixations?

Well, Nah I guess you have effectively mapped out the pattern of doubt

Please read the foll. extract from God’s Debris, your post reminded me of it

I guess we can say inner contradictions are the result of non-aligned fixations.
I mean, if we have relatively small number of fixations and if they are all aligned in accord, there wouldn’t be contradictions among them.

Although it may depend on the logical sensitivity/honesty of the person, we wold have uneasy sensation when there is a contradiction.
And this sensation prompts our questioning.

Your paradigm is actually pretty similar to Xunzi’s. You can read the his entire essay “Dispelling Blindness” on googlebooks for free with a wonderful introduction and translation by Prof. Knoblock. Worth a read, if you are interested.

Looks like I can only read first 3 pages or so. Do you have to sign in?

Really? I had no problem reading the article. There are other sections that are missing, but not dispelling blindness. The loadtime can be really slow though. I think they do that to force you to buy the book :wink: I do have a gmail account I am signed into, so maybe that is it?

I guess so. Well, thank you for the pointer, anyway.
But probably, I won’t read it because I’d rather make up my own skewed perspective. :slight_smile:
(I may read something available on web or excerpt of certain pages, though).