The Meaning of Life

What does “Life” mean?

Avoid the dictionary. Define it yourself.

Biology is the study of living things. What is “Biology”?

Avoid the dictionary again. Define it yourself.

Bio (living) + logy (logic) = Bio + Ontology. All things which live abide by some kind of ‘logic’ which governs them (as living).

What is the qualification for Life? What signifies the “brain-dead” patient from the “dead-dead” patient? What inspires motion in living things?

Who knows these answers for certain???

Who knows except for the philosophers???

:-s

I would say life is anything that can reproduce itself and move without an outside force being applied.
Therefore biology would be the studying of anything that fits under the criteria of life.

life is probably something that is self-aware…

for me this would imply that the meaning of life is understanding yourself.

I don’t think conciousness is an issue - look at bacteria and viruses

Khrone

Under that definition would “‘cellular automatons’” count?

bitstorm.org/gameoflife/

In my opinion Krossie, “cellular automatons” definitely count.

The time period between conception and death. It probably doesn’t do to place too many conditions on the whole experience, like self awareness, learning, growth, otherwise we discount chavs and they are at least in theory alive. Plus I don’t think there really is a definition that could not be condensed into a 67 volume set let alone a paragraph or two.

Nothing neither of them are really living. :wink:

Biologically respiration, in a real sense nothing, that’s why we tend to pull the switch.

I think life is the highest essence given us by some unknown forces - to live our lives, to build a community, to raise kids for continuing our klan. This is life and please don’t try getting deeper into it - you will simply complicate the things.

discount Cigars online

Me too i think very broad simple definitions which include self replicating computer simulations is a start.

Meantime a lot of people seem to be confusing “life” (which needs broad defintion) with human self reflective conscious life specifically…

I’d also agree about the chavs!

kp

-Imp

and now to find the question!

Ah yes Hitchhikers

kp

I never got why people liked that show so much

The books are as always much, much better, most people who like the show have read the books.

for sure - mind you the series (especially the original radio version) towers above the recent film!!

kp

First, allow me to congratulate and thank those of you who provided meaningful, opinionated responses:

You show true intellectual courage and honesty by so exposing your philosophies.

You are many steps beyond those who do not do so willingly.

I wonder if you four philosophical people would be so kind as to respond to my proposition:

I am life.

Because I must be living to state that I am living. It is only-I which must live and must never die.

Because if “I” were dead then neither would I be able to live nor to state that “I am living.” or “I am life.”

Truly I think it takes a neutral and unbiased observer to say what is alive and what isn’t.
A rock could claim its alive simply so it could pretend to be more important to others but no one would believe it.

Life is atoms. Atoms are _________? _____________is _______________?is? ad infinitum ,everything reduces, life without exception

Dear rackedrick,

What? 
                  Quite confusing.

Is this impossible?

Thank goodness that rocks cannot claim such things. Then humans might have to contend with rock philosophers.

1. No, Its very possible, but perhaps improbable.

2. I second your notion of rock philosophers. =D>

this does not mean you must never die. when you die, so does your life; life ends. (hypothetically).

if you are life, then in some way i am life… Is one of us more alive than the other?