Smartest Philosopher - Never Wrote a Philosophical Text

[size=50]…[/size]

My thesis for this thread: Reading or writing a philosophical text does not make you a philosopher.

Living philosophy, ingraining philosophy into your daily moments…

THAT IS TRUE PHILOSOPHY.

That is being a philosopher.

I don’t think either of them necessarily does.

If you don’t have the aptitude, then you can’t be a philosopher.

You know it’s debated that Socrates was an invention of Plato. So I mean, how the hell could he have written a book anyway?

Thus the title, Smartest Philosopher - Never Wrote a Philosophical Text.

So… how do you know what Socrates said? Not relying on philosophical texts, surely? :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I’m sorry. My bad:

When I wrote the title, Smartest Philosopher - Never Wrote a Philosophical Text.

That meant Socrates.

You see, I included an image with the word Socrates drawn on someone’s knuckles.

My thread meant that Socrates never wrote a philosophical text…

…or so they say.

That’s it. Hope that clears that up for you.

Thank you for attempting to understand a thread that might not be as clear as I originally thought it was.

Well, you are right.
Jesus never wrote a text.
Sad but true.

You’re referring to a character from a set of stories as a philosopher.

While it is debatable as to whether Socrates was a real person, that still means he might have been. Either way I’d bet Aristotle was smarter than Socrates. He just had a much wider perspective and looked at more parts of our world. Dante referred to him as the master of knowledge, and he was pretty much all of science for about a millennia.

I’ll grant you that. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I think Plato was actually originally attributed to giving Socrates the mantel of, The Smartest Philosopher.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

The existence of Socrates is vastly more certain than that of Jesus. It wasn’t just the dialogs of Plato but other contemporaries such as Xenophon who also reported what Socrates had to say. Based on the evidence, it doesn’t follow to doubt his existence. Also, the history and death of Socrates blends completely with the history of Athens at that time. There is nothing which feels contrived or extraneous within that context.

As for Aristotle being smarter than Socrates, only a kindergarten philosopher could make such a statement since they have nothing in common. Apples to apples, oranges to oranges if you please. Only fruitcakes can’t tell the difference.

The one center of gravity for Socrates was Man and ONLY that, the investigation of the Self best expounded when he famously said “The unexamined life is not worth living”.

Aristotle was a systematizer, an expounder whether it was biology, physics, metaphysics, ethics, whatever which made him “The Master of those who know”. When Dante wrote those words, they didn’t know much of anything and it was the Aristotelian system which ruled the Middle Ages…until others much later came along who knew much more than Aristotle but still enshrined in Church doctrine.

Yeah but people write about Jack Bauer on 24 every day.

Did you just call me a faggot, or a retard? Either way, you’re entirely off base.

They only knew more because they had better tools and more help. Had Aristotle been born later, I’m sure he would have picked up on it just as easily. Why wouldn’t he?

None of which is the point…but I’m not surprised.

then your points weren’t contained in your post

OK! Fair enough! I’ll summarize my point!

If you put your brains in a toaster will it come out in the same condition it’s already in?

I don’t think I can fit my brain in a toaster, should I try a microwave?

Yes.

It made my face fill tingly