Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Expect the worst; hope for the best; in the middle of those two are the most probably realities.

Maybe.

Arminius,

I did qualify it by saying : ‘probably’

But maybe that’s not enough.

Europe’s robots to become ‘electronic persons’ under draft plan:

They will eventually be granted superior rights to organic persons.

102177 is a lot of views for one thread. :sunglasses:

That is very likely.

Yes, it is. Now the number of the views is 102507.

No. It’s 102516.

:sunglasses:

No. It’s 102517.

:sunglasses:

Sorry, I must have read it wrong. Now it says 102531.
It must be a site software problem. :confused:

A machine problem. :astonished:

Now it is 102552.

Then I ask you, Anomaleigh: Do you think that machines will completely replace all human beings?

I know that we already had this discussion in this thread, but my question is again: How can we currently know for sure that they are already conscious to a small degree?

Define “consciousness”. Look at the exact details required of something for it to be called “conscious”. Once seen in concept, they can be seen right in front of you.

Being aware or conscious of thoughts or knowledge is already a tautological description, because if you know that there are thoughts or knowledge, then you also know that there is a consciousness.

True, thus would make a poor definition. Get an exacting unambiguous, informative, meaningful definition.

As you know, I define it as:
Consciousness == The property of remote recognition.

Yes, I know.

Does that not move the discussion to the definition of recognition?

Is a television conscious? A radio-controlled car? A heat-seeking missile?

Yes, at least partially.

A televison is not conscious, a radio-controlled car is not conscious, a heat-seeking missile is not conscious; but what about certain machines with an artificial intelligence?

James, how do You understand remote recognition? As a pre thought -verbal recognition at and before the limit of sensation, as in a primary process, or with a conceptual inclusion sans some elements which can differentiate between human beings and animals?

“Recognition” is easy to define:

An example of remote recognition in mechanisms would be the little android that hears a voice, identifies it as the young girl, turns in her direction, and says, “Good morning, Pretty”.