Language, language development, language acquisition ....

Not wanting to derail, but perhaps a little slow, can you explain your language of “S”, “P”, “VP”, “NP”, and so are to represent (preferably in English :wink: )?

Yes, but first I must bring the child to bed. :wink:

“S”, “NP”, “VP”, “PP”, “N”, “V”, “Prep”, “Det”, and others are part of the synatx tree (diagramm, a.k.a. “phrase marker”) which belongs to Chomsky’s “Transformational Generative Grammar” (“TGG”).

S = Sentence
NP = Noun Phrase
VP = Verbal Phrase
PP = Prepositional Phrase
N = Noun
V = Verb
Prep = Preposition
Det = Determiner

The resulting sentence could be: “The dog ate the bone”. Such a tree diagram is also called a phrase marker. They can be represented more conveniently in text form, (though the result is less easy to read); in this format the above sentence would be rendered as:
[S [NP [D The ] [N dog ] ] [VP [V ate ] [NP [D the ] [N bone ] ] ] ]

Philosophically, you don’t have to know the details of Chomsky’s linguistic theory, James. But if you are interested in his linguistic theory in general, in his generative grammar as far as it is interesting for philosophy, and in Chomsky hierarchy which is not only interesting for linguistics but also for mathematics and computer science (cp. machines), then please read at first the follwing article:

That’s SCIENCE, and that’s PHILOSOPHY too!

If you don’t have anything to contribute to a discussion besides snide personal attacks, you’ll find yourself warned and banned fairly quickly on the Philosophy board.

Language is the competence to form infinte linguistic terms with a finite inventory of linguistic forms. It has much to do with thoughts, mentality, conceptions, beliefs, imaginations, conventions, experiences, awareness, knowledge, information, communication … and so on. It is such a complex system that one could say that machines could never reach this high competence that humans have. But it is merely a question of time whether machines will be able to use language like humans do. So when?

Arminius, I think you yourself have something to learn about language.

Really? If so, then: why do you think so? And b.t.w.: why are you a crack dealer?

Regarding your meme, I think it’s a fair point: gotta learn to speak before you can talk. But reading your work is like trying to understand a computer program. [EDIT: entirely] tedious; a real master of language knows better. And I think you can tell why I’m a crack dealer.

[size=1]117[/size]

My next-to-last post refers to one of my other threads, namely this one: Will machines completely replace all human beings? It’s an interesting thread. Do you know it?

No, Impious, because I don’t know you.

Check the edit. I usually only post in the off topic section where we keep it all short and sweet, not really my style to mill through sustained pieces.

I guess you mean something like these examples:

Because I do not want to derail my own thread, I link to this post:
[list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879&p=2506760#p2506760
[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

No. Speech is very much more than that.

I agree with the above but
note the difference in views between Chomsky and George Lakoff & Johnson.

Chomsky’s theory assumed that the structure of language is “autonomous” — independent of meaning and communication. In 1963, George stumbled upon the first of hundreds of counterexamples.
georgelakoff.com/press/academic-biography/

In the topic of language we need to take into account the Broca’s area within the brain, its development and maintenance.

Like any other mental fields, the theory and philosophy of language should be presented within a systematic framework but not to the extent of being too pedantic and dogmatic.

I know Chomsky’s language theory very well, because I have studied linguistics as well. Philosophically, Chomsky is influenced by the German philosophers Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz and Wilhelm von Humboldt.

Do you know Daniel L. Everett?

The newest “alternative” to Chomsky?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjJgvuH-RU[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii-ppBYsPKY[/youtube]
[tab][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIbD7O79Goc[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QNZJSQLim0[/youtube][/tab]

See also:

No.

There is no native morality but a native system of values. Babies do not have morality; morality requires that the child can understand most of the language of those who have already morality. The language of those who have already morality leads to the understanding of morality, to a consciousness of morality, ethics, philosophy of law, … and so on. It is a question of a language-dependent education. A baby understands baby talk and merely a very, very little of the language of those who have already morality; so a baby is not able to understand enough of the language with morality, thus a baby is not able to understand morality.

A baby has values, is able to value; but a baby has no morality, is not able to judge morally.

Please, do not confuse morality with values, norms, rules, laws.

Do you think that language is based on an instinct?

A) No.
B) Yes.
C) I do not know.

If you voted “B”: What do you think about that kind of instinct?

B1) It is an interactional instinct.
B2) It is a mere language instinct.
B3) It is an interactional and a language instinct.
B4) It is neither an interactional nor a language instinct.

Hmm… I would say more of (B) than of (A).
But I am not clear on what you mean by “interactional” vs “language”.
To me, a language is an “interactional” device.

For example: A prenatal human interacts with the mother’s womb, a postnatal baby interacts with the mother, other familiar persons, and surrounding things; but a non-baby (an “ababy” [Mutcer?]) child interacts and speaks with many humans and many things, thus already uses a real language (e.g.: English).

Because of RM:AO, especially of SAM? So if you decided to vote “B” by considering RM:AO, especially SAM, then I would say your further vote should be “B1”.

I don’t see that RM:AO has anything to do with it. To me languages are a subset of the set of all interactions. It is instinctive to attempt communication, but most structured communication, “languages”, are taught. So instinct gets the effort started and society eventually structures the effort into a formal language.

So I guess that I would have to go with (B3) - both.

Without it human beings would not have come into the world:

=>#