The Davinci race

Who has taught you all of this? What sorts of books do you read?

Kraust - the hypothetical philosopher.

Neitzche - the word warrior. The word warrior may be true, but is often long winded.

Amorphos,

I think you are right.

We’ve all got that potential within us - to be wise, a philosopher.

The truth accumulates.

Also, we needn’t suffer directly to our person to be wise.

We can have empathy, and relate deeply to the wider environment and the past. To use those as a means of gaining wisdom. To embrace the pain of the world, in it’s long journey.

It is a failing of any ‘philosopher’ if they can’t nurture their own wisdom to sprout within others - not a failing of the other.

This is why all those who seek to divide us are fundamentally confused.

And what is your program?

Happy. We wil not have the need to sit and contemplate, nor to work through the horror of the world. We will just be able to live and play with the lambs in the garden (of uuh…Eden?).

Lest we should happen to end up on the bad side of Socrates’ wise exclamation:
“By all means marry.
If you marry a good wife, you’ll be happy.
If you marry a bad wife, you’ll become a philosopher.”
~Socrates

=>#

Well, I have always felt that a life like Dick Proenneke led would be very calming to me.

Yes. Does he really live alone?

He did; although there were a few others in the general area. He died a few years back, I read. Beautiful movies though.

Yes, very beautiful movies. In one of them I read: “Dedicated to Richard L. (“Dick”) Proenneke - 1916-2003”.

Do you remember our conversation about “loving philosophy and living alone”?

According to that Richard L. (“Dick”) Proenneke was not a philosopher. :slight_smile:

More information is availableI now, but I would not subscribe that “the average human is more intelligent and has a better understanding of the world now”. Most humans do not make use of the fact that more information is availableI now, and a lot of the nowadays information is waste (you can easily convince yourself of it by reading some ILP threads). So it is also possible that the IQ of the humans is now lower than it was e.g. 100 years ago.

The average SAT score has dropped 20 points since years ago. 200 years ago, humans could walk 18 miles in the snow. Nowadays, humans can barely walk 1 mile. These are facts.

“The whole of Humanity is improving” This is fantasy.

Technology is improving, which is making humans even weaker. Keep watching the TV and drinking your synthesized Koolaid.

@Arminius:
I do not think he was a philosopher. I just enjoy hhis lifestyle and his movies. It is inspring. Also the resolve of this man and the way he looked at life are special. Perhaps it can be called a philosophy, or sanity. I am not sure. I just enjoy him.

@Trixie: Good assertion. what will you do about it, or what do you recommend the world to do about it?

Criticism is self-destructive. Humor is a sort of criticism. Everybody can do it, Its the game for the masses.

Of course you would say that if you had no sense of humor. People usually try to reinterpret their weaknesses as strengths, and usually in those interpretations they betray themselves. A classic example of what the shrinks call ‘projection’.

I recently read something written by someone who claims to explain why I do or don’t do certain things. Since these explanations are wrong, they can only be a kind of inadvertant testimony or admittance to reasons why such things would or would not be done, had they been done or not done by the person who is explaining.

In your case, you tell me that if you had a sense of humor, you would feel critical of yourself, as well as part of the masses.

Yes. Richard L. (“Dick”) Proenneke was an interesting and enjoyable man.

objet petit a

If you marry a good wife, you’ll be happy.
If you marry a bad wife, you’ll become a philosopher. ~Socrates

Don’t philosophers make good wives into bad ones? :mrgreen: Not being attentive nor providing as such, wandering off learning stuff etc.

Arminius

If you took an average group of contemporary humans and sent them back in time, they would either be killed or end up ruling or changing things forever. imagine what a current basic knowledge of chemistry or aeronautics would do in ancient times!

_

This was my post:

You were comparing the intelligence of the current humans with the intelligence of the humans 100 years ago. So I referred to that comparison. And again:

Do you agree?

Was ot Socrates’ wife who said this?
:laughing:

What I wanted to say to Arminius has now been said by more or less. 2 details remain:

1. Intelligence and knowledge are 2 different things. Humans now are more knowledgeable, but definately not more intelligent. At times I think the opposite.
  2. A better understanding of the world is quite dubious: The average city slicker is not more understanding of the world. Far less, I would say. More understanding of the social skills needed to be popular and what tv show is on tonight, maybe, but not more knowledgeable about the world.

Lol yes i bet he did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well we could say than humans have and have for a long time had 90bil neurons = same intelligence. Only the knowledge has changed.
However, a highly educated contemporary person is usually more intelligent, than an uneducated one. If there is any truth to that; ‘intelligence increases with learning’, then one who knows modern biology is surely more intelligent than Pliny the Elder, because his stuff is such a bunch of nonsense.

Thus the ‘quality’ multiplied by the ‘amount’ of knowledge = the greater intelligence.

Ergo humans now are more intelligent than the ancients.

surely learning multiplied by the interconnectedness of knowledge in the brain, manifests a greater dexterity of intellect, thus increasing it. with the brain having a fundamental plasticity, I would think this to be a natural extension of that.

_