The Davinci race

The average SAT score has dropped 20 points since years ago. 200 years ago, humans could walk 18 miles in the snow. Nowadays, humans can barely walk 1 mile. These are facts.

“The whole of Humanity is improving” This is fantasy.

Technology is improving, which is making humans even weaker. Keep watching the TV and drinking your synthesized Koolaid.

@Arminius:
I do not think he was a philosopher. I just enjoy hhis lifestyle and his movies. It is inspring. Also the resolve of this man and the way he looked at life are special. Perhaps it can be called a philosophy, or sanity. I am not sure. I just enjoy him.

@Trixie: Good assertion. what will you do about it, or what do you recommend the world to do about it?

Criticism is self-destructive. Humor is a sort of criticism. Everybody can do it, Its the game for the masses.

Of course you would say that if you had no sense of humor. People usually try to reinterpret their weaknesses as strengths, and usually in those interpretations they betray themselves. A classic example of what the shrinks call ‘projection’.

I recently read something written by someone who claims to explain why I do or don’t do certain things. Since these explanations are wrong, they can only be a kind of inadvertant testimony or admittance to reasons why such things would or would not be done, had they been done or not done by the person who is explaining.

In your case, you tell me that if you had a sense of humor, you would feel critical of yourself, as well as part of the masses.

Yes. Richard L. (“Dick”) Proenneke was an interesting and enjoyable man.

objet petit a

If you marry a good wife, you’ll be happy.
If you marry a bad wife, you’ll become a philosopher. ~Socrates

Don’t philosophers make good wives into bad ones? :mrgreen: Not being attentive nor providing as such, wandering off learning stuff etc.

Arminius

If you took an average group of contemporary humans and sent them back in time, they would either be killed or end up ruling or changing things forever. imagine what a current basic knowledge of chemistry or aeronautics would do in ancient times!

_

This was my post:

You were comparing the intelligence of the current humans with the intelligence of the humans 100 years ago. So I referred to that comparison. And again:

Do you agree?

Was ot Socrates’ wife who said this?
:laughing:

What I wanted to say to Arminius has now been said by more or less. 2 details remain:

1. Intelligence and knowledge are 2 different things. Humans now are more knowledgeable, but definately not more intelligent. At times I think the opposite.
  2. A better understanding of the world is quite dubious: The average city slicker is not more understanding of the world. Far less, I would say. More understanding of the social skills needed to be popular and what tv show is on tonight, maybe, but not more knowledgeable about the world.

Lol yes i bet he did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well we could say than humans have and have for a long time had 90bil neurons = same intelligence. Only the knowledge has changed.
However, a highly educated contemporary person is usually more intelligent, than an uneducated one. If there is any truth to that; ‘intelligence increases with learning’, then one who knows modern biology is surely more intelligent than Pliny the Elder, because his stuff is such a bunch of nonsense.

Thus the ‘quality’ multiplied by the ‘amount’ of knowledge = the greater intelligence.

Ergo humans now are more intelligent than the ancients.

surely learning multiplied by the interconnectedness of knowledge in the brain, manifests a greater dexterity of intellect, thus increasing it. with the brain having a fundamental plasticity, I would think this to be a natural extension of that.

_

There is the dulling of the mind by bad education, by movies / cinema or television films, internet, cellphone / mobile and many other things.

You have a nice citation in your signature:
[list][list][list][list][list][list][b]"»Warum willst du dich von uns Allen
Und unsrer Meinung entfernen?«

• Ich schreibe nicht euch zu gefallen,
    Ihr sollt was lernen.[/b]"
  • Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
    That’s the point.

Warum willst du dich von uns Allen
Und unsrer Meinung entfernen?«

• Ich schreibe nicht euch zu gefallen,
    Ihr sollt was lernen.

Google translate;
Why wilt thou from us all
And remove our opinion? "

• I do not write to please you,
    We’ll teach you what.

I am no closer to knowing what that means. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a very bad translation.

Try this free translation:

Why do you want to go away from all of us and our opinion? I do not write in oder to please you, you shall learn something.

Learn!

Build a DNA machine. The DNA machine will clear the toxins and mutations that have accumulated over the years and give the body a fresh start. Otherwise, there will be global doom.

Arminius

Ah I see. One problem; to form an opinion you have to go away ~ in the sense of not continuing others opinions [form distinctions, set apart]. Then that ‘you shall learn’ is a demand negating the thing the writer did [went away, become detached], such to originally form an opinion.

Otherwise he is just telling us to copy everyone else, :laughing:

These German philosophers eh! Why don’t they think things through properly. #-o

ps. seriously though, I think perhaps he is speaking like a teacher, so it is said as if it’s his job and we are the pupils?

The text is a poem.

In this poem he is speaking like a teacher of life.

By the way: Google translated your text in this way:

Bad tanslation!

@ Amorphos:

• If you want to know Goethe more, maybe you should try his book ‘Faust’. It is good and well thought out. The precise details of the translations vary, but I am sure that you can enrich yourself with it.
  • The quote in my signature is from the perspective of someone who knows (thinks he) knows better. Others ask him why he seems to move away from their position in his words and behavior. They feel as if losing his support. So, the answer is that he is not trying to please them. Quite well thought out, I think.

Again, there is a difference between intelligence and knowledge. Being educated increases a certain kind of knowledge. However, it normally prevents people from openly observing new cases and instead placing them in the taught frame of reference. In the dark ages a doctor would have seen no problem with the myriad a parasites living on the skin of humans. He had been taught that it was sinfull to wash away God’s dirt, after all. And with not washing, the parasites came to all. An uneducated person could have common sensed this by simply concluding that the parasites are not very comfortable and they disappear after washing and that one feels better then as well. Knowledge gets in the way of intelligence working. Only by some miracle (no pun intended) would the more knowledgeable actually be taught something which is true and actually apply it properly. But, that would be due to intelligence again. Really, I have personally met more intelligent people without educations than with. People with educations have knowledge, this is usefull. That is their only purpose and quality: to be able to reproduce what was taught. If they are also intelligent, they normally point out the problems with and inconsistencies of what they have been taught.

thanks.
Trouble with me is that i always think i can out-think historical philosophers, as if we are the apex. What i said was true even if Goethe knows something, and what Goethe said in the quote seemed a tad arrogant [not that i can speak lol] and in itself not true.

Perhaps there are better quotes by him? And maybe we are all guilty of being arrogant, of being strong or thinking we are, even though strength has nothing to do with philosophy.

Hence;

Knowledge + arrogance …gets in the way of intelligence working.

Me too. Actually i dropped out of collage, so i know nothing, hence i keep searching. not many academic philosophers go to forums, so clearly they are arrogant and have stopped seeking to a degree.

_

Arrogant? No. In no way. By no means.

No, it is knowledge. I’ll go further; the idea that any fixed nominal piece of information can be true in all situations. The very concept of that kind of knowledge is problematic to learning.

Right. Absolute knowledge in a transient world is ludicrous. Even things we think are fact can change over time being supese[size=85]e[/size]ded by a deeper understanding e.g. When we truly understand the quantum world, physics will be redundant. Even though the same things will be true, a better understanding of the same thing, will be more true, then the whole thing goes round in a circle and in a centuries time, even science will be different.