Philosophy and Art

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Philosophy and Art

Postby Arminius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:28 am

The similarities between philosophy and art are not caused by an accident.

What do you think about the similarities, the analogies?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Re: Philosophy and Art

Postby Arminius » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Occidental philosophy compared to - for example - a tree, architectural art, clothes:

abendland_a_und_k.gif
abendland_a_und_k.gif (47.29 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:25 pm

When the culture has great times (whatever "great" means in this relation), then science and arts follow and get great times too, often when culture already starts having less great times.

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Stephen C Pedersen » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 pm

The age of Pericles, The Renaissance, The Enlightenment, The Romantic Rebellion all flourish with new ideas and new art. They are paradigm shifts what we see with new light. I agree. I actually did a large work that puts together the idea of the time with the art of the time and how they communicate together. It's rather beautiful if you think about it. Still, the ancient Greeks are unsurpassed I believe. There ability to strive toward universal, relational qualities about mankind are beautiful. In tragedy, in philosophy, in poetry, and in architecture. It's the utter integration of the thought, the known, the felt, and the seen. The balance of the affective, the cognitive, and the moral.
Stephen C Pedersen

Postby Arminius » Wed May 04, 2016 2:59 am

Stephen C Pedersen wrote:The age of Pericles, The Renaissance, The Enlightenment, The Romantic Rebellion all flourish with new ideas and new art. They are paradigm shifts what we see with new light. I agree. I actually did a large work that puts together the idea of the time with the art of the time and how they communicate together.[7quote]
Really? Hey! Like I did, especially in the year 2001.

Stephen C Pedersen wrote:It's rather beautiful if you think about it.

Yes, it is indeed.

Stephen C Pedersen wrote:Still, the ancient Greeks are unsurpassed I believe. There ability to strive toward universal, relational qualities about mankind are beautiful. In tragedy, in philosophy, in poetry, and in architecture. It's the utter integration of the thought, the known, the felt, and the seen. The balance of the affective, the cognitive, and the moral.

It is even more interesting if the several cultures are brought into analogies too. It is just astounding how they fit.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:04 am

Arminius wrote:
Alf wrote:
Alf wrote:Just an example:

Is that art?

surreptitious75 wrote:Art is simply how an artist perceives the world at any given time. The only limitation is imagination but beyond that nothing so
anything labelled as art is art regardless of anything else. And it comes from the mind or the soul [ the non metaphysical type ]

So the art object above "tells" us that a certain artist who perceives the decline.

Perceiving this (?):

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 am

Now decide where you can find the decline in the following pictures:

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Alf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 am

Beginning of autumn (fall). :-k

:?:
Alf

Postby Arminius » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:47 am

Actually or cosmologically, it is the beginning of summer (alraedy), but culturally or historically, it is the beginning of autumn (fall). So the laying of the foundation stone of the French "Arc de Triomphe“ in 1806 was already part of the declining era, which can also be called the "era of the bourgeois clothing“. :)

B_C.png
Era of the bourgeois clothing
B_C.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Alf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 pm

So this belongs to the "era of the bourgeois clothing" too:

K_i_d_H.png
Late period of the "era of the bourgeois clothing".
K_i_d_H.png (78.24 KiB) Viewed 550 times

Right?
Last edited by Alf on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alf

Postby Arminius » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Absolutely.

By the way: I call this late period, which is also the latest phase of our whole cultural cycle: "Globalism" or - with reference to Spengler - "Caesarism".

Arminius wrote:The demonstrations against G7 or G20 are demonstrations against the globalism. And they are violent in every Western country.

If you want to see burning suburbs without any G7 or G20 demonstration, then go to France where suburbs burn every day.

G7 or G20 events are no argument at all for saying "the end of ...".

And by the way: It is more likely that the end of the Western world will come slowly.

Everything that has become is transient. Our Western plutocracy too. It is already fading. According to Oswald A. G. Spengler the plutocrats and its supporters - the democrats - will be defeated by the Caesars. And if our Western culture will not have any Caesar, then the plutocrats themselves will become the Caesars. The Caesarism is unavoidable according to Spengler. So the only alternative to that is the "sudden death" (by a huge catastrophe for example) of the whole culture. But are you seeing that catastrophe at the moment? :wink:
Arminius wrote:The economical part (including e.g. a sociological part and a pyscholgical part) and the demographical part of ww3 started alraedy a long time ago. It has not reached its peak yet. And, as I guess, when it will have, then the physical, chemical, biological parts of ww3 will follow. Thus: yes, before 2050, probably even before 2030. :o

Oswald A. G. Spengler wrote:
    1. (1800-2000): Domination of money ("democracy"). Economic powers permeating the political forms and authorities.
    2. (2000-2200): Formation of Caesarism. Victory of force-politics over money. Increasing primitiveness of political forms. Inward decline of the nations into a formless population, and constitution thereof as an imperium of gradually increasing crudity of despotism.
    3. (after 2200): Maturing of the final form. Private and family policies of individual leaders. The world as spoil. Egypticism, mandarinism, Byzantinism. Historyless stiffening and enfeeblement even of the imperial machinery, against young peoples eager for spoil, or alien conquerors. Primitive human conditions slowly thrust up into the highly civilized mode of living.
Source of the translation: Wikipedia.

According to Spengler's schedule, we are now in the beginning of the "formation of Caesarism" (see: 2. (2000-2200)). :o

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 am

Now, look at the typical architecture of our current phase:

Tp_Dk.jpg
Transparency & Deconstruction.
Tp_Dk.jpg (90.15 KiB) Viewed 533 times

Dk_S.jpg
Deconstruction & Foam.
Dk_S.jpg (83.43 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Alf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Alf

Postby Arminius » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Alf wrote:Form follows fantasy.

More: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=for ... ORM=HDRSC2 .

The deconstructivists deduced the slogan „form follows fantasy“ from Louis Sullivan’s slogan „form follows function“.

A deconstructivist architect is not somebody who dismantles buildings, but somebody who localizes inherent "problems" to the buildings. The deconstructivist architect treats the pure forms of the architectural tradition like a "psychiatrist" his "patients" – he ascertains the "symptoms of a suppressed impurity", as Philip Johnson und Mark Wigley wrote in 1988 (cf. "Deconstructivist Architecture", p. 11). It is just the same old megalomaniac architecture.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Alf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Arminius wrote:

The deconstructivists deduced the slogan „form follows fantasy“ from Louis Sullivan’s slogan „form follows function“.

A deconstructivist architect is not somebody who dismantles buildings, but somebody who localizes inherent "problems" to the buildings. The deconstructivist architect treats the pure forms of the architectural tradition like a "psychiatrist" his "patients" – he ascertains the "symptoms of a suppressed impurity", as Philip Johnson und Mark Wigley wrote in 1988 (cf. "Deconstructivist Architecture", p. 11). It is just the same old megalomaniac architecture.

Do you think that we are living in a very especially megalomaniac period?
Alf

Postby Arminius » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

Alf wrote:
Arminius wrote:

Do you think that we are living in a very especially megalomaniac period?

Megalomania is typical for the human species, although this merely means that some humans are megalomaniac and some not. Now we are living in a very especially megalomaniac period, yes, and I think that this phase will show us even more megalomaniac humans in the future.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Alf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Produced by the globalists?
Alf

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I think so.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Arminius » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Alf wrote:Produced by the globalists?

Yes, by them and their functionaries.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby surreptitious75 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Arm wrote:
Now we are living in a very especially megalomaniac period yes and I think that this phase will show us even more megalomaniac humans in the future

The world was way more megalomaniac in the past than it is now and more so the further back in history that one goes
It might seem worse now simply because we are living through it but it is nothing at all compared to what came before
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Postby Arminius » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 am

Well, it depends on the values that are selected - or not selcted, if they are destroyed.

We are talking about a cycle. Sometimes there is much megalomania and sometimes not.

But wait and see. Like I said: "this phase will show us even more megalomaniac humans in the future". Think of the many problems we already have currently: 7.45 billion humans, a polluted planet, injustice almost everywhere, a lot of wars and of any kind, terrorism ... and so on and so forth. And now there are plenty of so-called "experts" who want to live according to their megalomania (as if they were gods) and want to tell you how you should live.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 am

With eugenics still happening, they are Gods on rampages, literally eliminating people from the population with their engineering.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Alf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 am

Arminius wrote:

So megalomaniac people produce even more megalomaniac people.

But when and how will this story end?
Alf

Postby Faust » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 am

Ummmm.... philosophy is an art.
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom

Postby Arminius » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Alf wrote:
Arminius wrote:

So megalomaniac people produce even more megalomaniac people.

But when and how will this story end?

The globalistic phase will end in this or in the next century, I guess, and before its end there will be a lot of terror attacks, a lot of civil wars, wars with atom bomb explosions and other disasters.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Next

Return to Philosophy