your ultimate question in philosophy?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Amorphos » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:53 pm

your ultimate question in philosophy?

Rules; Just give one. If you got an answer to any given, and which are not duplicates of answers you have previously given, please give your shortest answer. You can give a long answers to those secondary arguments.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
User avatar
Amorphos
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: infinity

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby iambiguous » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 pm

It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 36134
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:07 am

What is your shortest answer? :)
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby phyllo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:12 am

iambiguous wrote:It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?
Simple. God made it. :wink:
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby iambiguous » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:21 am

Arminius wrote:What is your shortest answer? :)


That's always been the same too: We don't know.

Which then begs the question, "Can we know?"

Well, we don't know that either.

Aside of course from all those here who insist that in fact they already do know: in their head.

And not just the solipsists. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 36134
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:23 am

iambiguous wrote:It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?


Because if nothing exists, it would have to also be a nothing of itself! And here we are!

Not kidding actually!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10110
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:31 am

Ecmandu wrote:
iambiguous wrote:It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?


Because if nothing exists, it would have to also be a nothing of itself! And here we are!

Not kidding actually!


For those who don't understand the proof because of pedantry ...

It would also be a lack of a lack of itself???

For those who say nothing isn't an existent...

Etc...
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10110
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Uccisore » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:33 am

What can we know?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mPuckq ... ure=vmdshb

http://deepfreeze.it/ Curious about corrupt practices in video game journalism? Look no further.
User avatar
Uccisore
The Legitimatizer
 
Posts: 13279
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:14 pm
Location: Deep in the forests of Maine

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 am

iambiguous wrote:
Arminius wrote:What is your shortest answer? :)


That's always been the same too: We don't know.

Which then begs the question, "Can we know?"

Well, we don't know that either.

Aside of course from all those here who insist that in fact they already do know: in their head.

And not just the solipsists. :wink:

Thank you for your answer.

But possibly I was referring to Amorphos' question when:
I wrote:What is your shortest answer? :)
So my ultimate question in philosophy could possibly be: "What is your shortest answer?" :)
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:39 am

Uccisore wrote:What can we know?


We can know, "what can we know ?" If we can't know that, then how did you type it??
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10110
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:45 am

iambiguous wrote:It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?




Nothing ever exists, at all. We just think it does.

And this disproves existence before essence.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 am

jerkey wrote:
iambiguous wrote:It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?




Nothing ever exists, at all. We just think it does.

And this disproves existence before essence.


Why would you say that?
User avatar
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3485
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Amorphos » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:13 am

It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?


Without anything then nothing would be real [=something [prob infinity]].

"Can we know?"


In a similar fashion to how anything [record players etc] transmits information. There are vague areas ~ we exist in a duality so you will get that category and the category of exacting corroborative info too. As this is a contradiction, the third way denotes a degree of 'fuzziness' whereby there is a flow between the duel extremes. Ergo, we can go from a derivative wavelength [physical info from the senses], to say, music or vision in a mind a constructed world [based on that info]. Up to a point the conscious experience is like a TV screen, it is its content where the fuzziness occurs.

So now we have two distinct things; the area of content, and the area of displayed information. As we know this can be fooled in optical illusions, but that is a faculty of how the instrument reads the signals. The projected mind has to play catch up with real-time, and so makes the consciously experienced world as like a 3d gameworld. This means that inherently the instrument is making it up as it goes along, but equally that it is constantly updating. Ergo the inconsistencies are in the process, and not the re-evaluated info.

Oh wait, the brain also continues to project the wrong colours where it thinks colour/shade 'x' should be'. So the brain continues to build part false worlds, as long as it fits the gameplan.

Why is it I feel I am going around in circles! :P
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
User avatar
Amorphos
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: infinity

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Amorphos » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:15 am

Here's one; why do we live in a reality which leads us to ultimate questions?

- well, it could have been made of lego instead. :P
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
User avatar
Amorphos
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: infinity

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:21 am

Because I feel that Shakespeare was right. All the worldly is a stage. Now, if you believe that, then the next line, is not too far of a stretch, ----to be or not to be, ------ our existence is neither in the comprehension of choice, we are thrown into this world, (an existential mantra); we are determined to act out our prescribed roles.

If so, then our preception so, and our knowledge based on them are perfectly determined by our roles.
We are determined to play the prescribed roles, and our so called existence make perfect sense:

To purvey our necessary link between those who came before us, and those, who will come after us.
Our existence is merely a link, a very minute one at that, , to enable the chain of being to proceed.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:25 am

jerkey wrote:Because I feel that Shakespeare was right. All the worldly is a stage. Now, if you believe that, then the next line, is not too far of a stretch, ----to be or not to be, ------ our existence is neither in the comprehension of choice, we are thrown into this world, (an existential mantra); we are determined to act out our prescribed roles.

If so, then our preception so, and our knowledge based on them are perfectly determined by our roles.
We are determined to play the prescribed roles, and our so called existence make perfect sense:

To purvey our necessary link between those who came before us, and those, who will come after us.
Our existence is merely a link, a very minute one at that, , to enable the chain of being to proceed.


So you think things exist, but not as they are thought to exist, right?
User avatar
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3485
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:33 am

How minute? Think of what Helena Blavatsky said of the first tangent of life of three hundred trillion and forty billion years, then, you will begin to feel the minute es of individual existence.

Now, if it is existence in itself you are talking about, then the permutations become innumerable even within one life time.

Therefore, it is difficult to think or talk of existence.
It simply doesen't exist.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:54 am

WW_III_ANGRY wrote:
jerkey wrote:Because I feel that Shakespeare was right. All the worldly is a stage. Now, if you believe that, then the next line, is not too far of a stretch, ----to be or not to be, ------ our existence is neither in the comprehension of
choice, we are thrown into this world, (an existential mantra); we are determined to act out our prescribed roles.



If so, then our preception so, and our knowledge
based on them are perfectly determined by our roles.

We are determined to play the prescribed roles, and our so called existence make perfect sense:


To purvey our necessary link between those who came before us, and those, who will come after us.
Our existence is merely a link, a very minute one at
that, , to enable the chain of being to proceed.


So you think things exist, but not as they are thought
to exist, right?


Yes and no. They exist as they are thought to exist, therefore, they don't exist. Cogito ergo non sum.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:57 am


Would I understand the ultimate answer if you told me what it was
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:03 am

How do I maximize utility?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 26054
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 am


If other beings exist then do they understand reality better than us
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:58 am

Why do some people consider deeply and thoroughly their own existence and others do not.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
User avatar
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Kriswest » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:51 am

Can we make or become the highest lifeform in all universes and dimensions?
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20554
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:01 pm

jerkey wrote:
iambiguous wrote:It's always this one: Why does anything exist at all?

Nothing ever exists, at all. We just think it does.

And this disproves existence before essence.
jerkey wrote:Because I feel that Shakespeare was right. All the worldly is a stage. Now, if you believe that, then the next line, is not too far of a stretch, ----to be or not to be, ------ our existence is neither in the comprehension of choice, we are thrown into this world, (an existential mantra); we are determined to act out our prescribed roles.

If so, then our preception so, and our knowledge based on them are perfectly determined by our roles.
We are determined to play the prescribed roles, and our so called existence make perfect sense:

To purvey our necessary link between those who came before us, and those, who will come after us.
Our existence is merely a link, a very minute one at that, , to enable the chain of being to proceed.
jerkey wrote:How minute? Think of what Helena Blavatsky said of the first tangent of life of three hundred trillion and forty billion years, then, you will begin to feel the minute es of individual existence.

Now, if it is existence in itself you are talking about, then the permutations become innumerable even within one life time.

Therefore, it is difficult to think or talk of existence.
It simply doesen't exist.
jerkey wrote:
WW_III_ANGRY wrote:So you think things exist, but not as they are thought
to exist, right?

Yes and no. They exist as they are thought to exist, therefore, they don't exist. Cogito ergo non sum.

But you wouldn't say that you are a solipsist, right? :oops: :wink:
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: your ultimate question in philosophy?

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:36 pm

I would but not as an existent. Just another wavelet in a universe of waves, in a moment in relative time, and space.

That moment disappears almost near the limit whereby it appears. Solipsism is like the wavelet in that instant appearance in the ocean of energy. It's an instant of self awareness.

That instant is cosmically, eternally infinite, as multiplied by all the instants of it's occurances, somehow attaining unified forms of apprehension.

Without solipsism, there could not be a self realization, a consciousness. Evolving beyond the animal would prove to be groundless, hopeless, and faithless. It needs to be conscious of it's self because, of the underlying connectedness of energy would loose motive, in the existentially creative sense.

It's an imminent organized sense of the need to be:
the Dasein. In this basic sense, the question, to be, or not to be cannot be asked, it is not a question of existential choice, it's Being is eternally determined,
by it's law, it's 'Soul'.

That Soul is grounded in the need to adhere, to compose, the general sense of Being. (In it's Self).
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Next

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users