Existential Question

Would the answer then be existential too?

Or is there a way [as philosophers] to settle this once and for all.

Now, here is my own take on it:

His bird was either sold to the blind kid or it was not. But: Ought this to have been done? Might the dude who sold the bird to the blind kid [assuming that in fact he did sell the bird to a blind kid because the bird was in fact sold to a blind kid] not have a set of values that enabled him to rationalize it? A set of values viewed as nothing less than appalling by the other guy?

[Sorry, I forget which one was dumb and which one was dumber]

Seriously though, what is the point of all this?

You know, given the forum that you posted it in.

Yes. But why would you not consider that in light of the terms you mentioned in the other thread?

Consider what?

The distinction that I make [in terms of values] is between a question that can in fact be answered objectively:

Did he sell the dead bird to the blind kid?
Well, he either did or he did not. If in fact he did then the answer would not seem to be just a personal opinion.

And a question the answer to which seems more reflective of a subjective frame of mind, a personal opinion, a political prejudice:

Ought he have to done that?
So, okay, ought he have done it or not? Can that be answered objectively? In other words, an answer that is applicable to all of us?

I’m just confused regarding how you might image others reacting to the OP.

How do you react to it?

And how do you construe it to be an “existential question”? As opposed to a question that is not.

Great movie. This is among my favorite clips.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3zfP14pLxc[/youtube]

iam - this is simple. The seller knows it’s a dead bird but the blind kid didn’t. He’s both blind and just a kid. This is Allegory of the Cave humor. Jake doubled down with the caption. Double-fisted philosophy comedy.

And they say philosophers aren’t funny.

Back for more? :wink:

Here’s where we left it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194906&p=2726844#p2726844

Don’t tell me an old Cartesian like you didn’t get it…

Note to others…

What do you suppose he is suggesting I didn’t get? You know, being unable to figure it out myself. :laughing: