What’s all that fuss about ego?

……after all ego (Latin: I) is just a viewpoint, a reference term – which might irritate, when overly used - but so does “you know”
“Egoists, Egocentrics & Egomaniacs” stem probably from the need to project and label something beyond the I – at least it would explain why ego is supposed to be synonymous for self. But what is self? – certainly not I, otherwise psychologists, mystics & gurus couldn’t make so much ado about it.
To me the term self encompasses what I am – including my ignorance about it – which doesn’t bother me, since I am what I do & I do what I am – thus having no problem with my self, and no desire to be someone else, or to go to a monastery to get rid of my self – which in my opinion requires an ego much larger than I can afford.

Except when you start thinking things you don’t want to think, then you are a measly pea in the soup. It is only when you agree with yourself that you are that self, when you disagree ~ its time you went off to that monastery with your tail between your legs.

The ego exists perhaps only when you are in agreement with yourself, and going along with every thought that enters the mind as if that is you and you derive all that stuff. So the idea of ego is a complaint, other people who are not agreeing with themselves, are now not agreeing with ‘you’. They see a lacking in themselves and so expect the same to be true of others, therefore ‘the ego’ is a surmising of such a deficit and is asking – no challenging you to redefine yourself, even though there is nothing to be gained in that, only loss [or wisdom].

How about this one:

We can’t get rid of a self that only exists as a point of view…all points of view or interpretations are empty of any thing, the self is always a phantom self since it only exists as a thought, or a point of reference, view… The self arises in reference to where the attention is, be it on some object, sound, bodily sensation, or thought…all of which are empty. So in essence there is nothing actually here, there is only ever emptiness within which emerges a sense of self fullness which is really empty at it’s core.

Everything springs from the silence and returns to the silence. The silence is like a constant presence - it doesn’t move, go anywhere, or change, we can call this silence… awareness or attention, There is no difference between the contents of silent awareness and awareness itself,they are each other one and the same thing, both are empty at the core. When we communicate with another person we are literally talking to nothing.

Attached to a point of reference is the belief there is something here, as in something seen, heard, felt, smelt, tasted, which become known experiences, which in turn spawn a knower. But there is no knower apart from the experience. There is nothing here having the experience of bodily sensations, thoughts, sounds, and objects seen, all empty of an experiencer. There is just ‘what is’ with or without the interpretation of it.

author “dontaskme”

EGO is a closed circuit that consists of 8 R/P poles with 2 viewpoints which relate them in a cube-like manner.
When the two viewpoints check each other, a pseudo-self-consciousness comes about that has deceived Homo in all hemispheres & ages and been the cause of most of his troubles. Being a closed circuit the dimension of Ego appears to be a world of its own, but it is a mirror room.