Mind and Matter

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Mind and Matter

Postby James S Saint » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Ierrellus wrote:My take on the Aristotelian/Nagel concept of teleology goes like this--An acorn contains all the necessary ingredients for becoming a tree. This becoming is influenced by the natural conditions of its environment. There is no force outside the acorn that is responsible for its precondition to become a tree. In this sense teleology represents an internal drive toward a goal or a specific outcome. Environment may be fortuitous for the entire growth and development of the acorn, but it has nothing to do with the acorn's innate drive to become a tree.

Seems true enough to me.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:05 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:My take on the Aristotelian/Nagel concept of teleology goes like this--An acorn contains all the necessary ingredients for becoming a tree. This becoming is influenced by the natural conditions of its environment. There is no force outside the acorn that is responsible for its precondition to become a tree. In this sense teleology represents an internal drive toward a goal or a specific outcome. Environment may be fortuitous for the entire growth and development of the acorn, but it has nothing to do with the acorn's innate drive to become a tree.

Seems true enough to me.

It is still difficult for me to image a teleology that does not include i.d. Nagel did denounce the ridicule Behe, et. al, have received from some in the scientific community; but the notion of religion as anti-science still persists in the modern scientific and philosophical arenas.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby waechter418 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 pm

It is the inability of mind to define itself which enables it to pervade the universe
waechter418

Previous

Return to Philosophy