Name it

Many people will say “don’t talk about it” or “don’t worry about it”.

I’d like to talk about the word “it”

The word “It” serves a purpose

Definition From google:

“used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified.”

Sometimes this is true. Other times we may simply say something like “it’s raining”. I don’t really know to which “it” is being referred. We understand the meaning, although the use of the word is vague in this case.

Sometimes we might want to express a fairly sophisticated thought, and then refer to it. (In this case, it = fairly sophisticated thought).

I just used “it” to make language more convenient. The idea is that I saved time in the now.

I could have said:

Sometimes we might want to express a fairly sophisticated thought, and then refer to a fairly sophisticated thought.

I would also like to talk about avoiding the use of the word “it” - I think this is a fairly difficult, however, useful thing to do.

What benefits could avoiding this word serve?

1. Progress
  2. Respect

Eventually, we may begin to repeat a “fairly sophisticated thought”. We can continue to use “it” to refer to that idea, or we can choose to create a new word to refer to this idea. (For all I know there is already a word for a “fairly sophisticated thought” - if so, please bring… it… up). Once we have a word that represents this idea, we can begin to repeat that new word, instead of using “it”. I am not sure, but I think human nature has evolved to create new tools, including language - I think a mindset of avoiding this word can help us to create new tools of language that help us all. I hope, this idea can save time in the future.

Additionally, avoiding the use of that word, in my mind, allows us give respect. I tend to think of the “name” as a basic unit of respect. I can point to an animal and think “I’m going to kill it to be my food” - OR… I can give it (my food) a name. While I’ll probably be okay if people label me as “man” or (insert some other qualifier), to learn my name shows a basic respect (particularly in the absence of being needed). I could do the same with a tree. I can point to one and think “tree” or… “it” - Or I can give that tree a name. Over time we have more qualifiers for trees… oak, birch, maple… one could argue these are names. The idea of a “how unique a name” can give rise to the idea of “how much respect”.

A wise man from my past once said “naming things is hard”. I am beginning to understand a reason for this.

Genesis 1:4 KJV

“And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.”

I’ve never watched my little pony

Your proposal would work for those with a greater capacity or ability to retain information and call it up easily. Those that do not have abilities like that would be lost. We have words like it for ease of communication between people of different abilities and capacities. Not intelligence, a genius can have issues with recall and communication.

I’m not one that generally enjoys giving commands. To elders it’s disrespectful, to someone more youthful I suppose I would be in a position of imposing fear.

I am not sure, but If I think if I must give a command, the command would be “Name it”.

Yep.

I think a good approach can be to try to learn “big words”. As an aside, in our world with a generally negative media, one thing they get RIGHT (about it) is the slightly-more-than-occasional use and dissemination of big words.

I am trying to figure out my little pony reference, not working hard on that figuring, just to be truthful.

The size of words is not the issue. Capacity, speed of sorting data and proper retrieval of correct words is.

Yeah I am just assuming

Ah, now you know the old saying about assuming :slight_smile: