Jordan Peterson describes self-valuing logic between humans

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Jordan Peterson describes self-valuing logic between hum

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:The issue is not with the subject itself but your apparent obsession with wanting to talk about it at every available opportunity
This is I Love Philosophy not I Love Dasein in case you had not noticed

Obsession? On only a tiny fraction of all the threads here at ILP do I try to "sneak" dasein into the discussion.

Go ahead, check out, say, the last 50.

And, when your interest in philosophy revolves around the question "how ought I to live?", and your conclusion revolves in turn around the relationship between identity, value judgments and political power, dasein just struck me as as good a description of that as any.

Dasein: "being there"

And, at birth, being there instead of some place else -- and being there now instead of some other time -- can make all the difference in the world when it comes to encompassing/embodying a particular identity.

As that relates to accumulating value judgments.

So, philosophically, what are the implications of that?

Feel free to tell us. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby mastermind_observer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 am

iambiguous wrote:I don't think that you have any insight whatsoever into your capacity for good until you have some well-developed insight into your capacity for evil.
Jordan B. Peterson

How I would truly enjoy a discussion with him regarding this. One, however, that goes beyond such "general description" observations.

What on earth does he mean by this?

Anyone here know?

Would the analogy "as above so below" be appropriate for this? Maybe maybe not the best. Definitely an entertaining thought
mastermind_observer

Postby iambiguous » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 pm

mastermind_observer wrote:
iambiguous wrote:I don't think that you have any insight whatsoever into your capacity for good until you have some well-developed insight into your capacity for evil.
Jordan B. Peterson

How I would truly enjoy a discussion with him regarding this. One, however, that goes beyond such "general description" observations.

What on earth does he mean by this?

Anyone here know?

Would the analogy "as above so below" be appropriate for this? Maybe maybe not the best. Definitely an entertaining thought

Above or below what? What particular insight into what particular behaviors in what particulat context in which good and evil are distinguished?

That's where I'd like to take a discussion with him.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby UrGod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 am

I love how JP stole the notion of self-valuing from VO. Classic.

Yes this is how it must work.
I am your master.

“It’s half past fuck it with the caps lock on.”
-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Postby UrGod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 am

And I also heard an NPR radio host refer to "valuing herself" as a core concept during an interview.

Ahahaha.

This world is just too funny.
I am your master.

“It’s half past fuck it with the caps lock on.”
-Bloodhound Gang
UrGod
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Philosophy