Wendy, iambiguous and [for now] abortion

Okay, let’s start with abortion.

I like to start here because…
1] it is a conflicting good almost all of us are familiar with
2] it literally revolves around life and death, and
3] I had an experience with it that resulted in my belief in objective morality being completely upended

And then all the points I raise about it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382

Now, this is the part where I ask you to note your own existential trajectory in regard to abortion. The manner in which both personal experiences and your contact with philosophy became intertwined so as to, what I call, “predispose” you to think and to feel about it as you do.

Or, if not abortion, a conflicting good more appealing to you.

Now, which words would you like me to define first?

And, even more important to me, how do you take your own definitions out into the world and situate them in a context in which different individuals embody different moral and political prejudices?

Edit:

In other words, how might philosophers go about articulating definitions here that would enable both the pro-life and pro-choice camps to finally pin down the optimal frame of mind…in order to legislate the optimal rules of behavior.

I’m awaiting your definitions regarding the ideas you would like to share concerning the conflicting goods of abortion.

Note to others:

About what you expected, right?

On the other hand, if anyone else would like to give it a go [on my terms more than hers] please do.

Your choosing of the topic and your defining of the words that you think are important are my terms? :laughing:

*Grabs popcorn

Then we’re stuck. My approach to value judgments is to describe our reaction to a context in which moral and political values come into conflict. Then to note [in regard to an issue like abortion] what we construe to be appropriate and inappropriate behaviors.

From my end though that revolves around the manner in which I come to focus in on the existential juncture that is identity, conflicting goods and political power.

Now, with regard to abortion, I believe that 1] an abortion is the killing of a human being and 2] that women ought to have the right to choose it.

How do I reconcile this? I don’t. Why? Because, philosophically or otherwise, I don’t believe that I can.

Instead, I believe that, given the actual trajectory of the life I lived, taking into account both my experiences and my attempts to educate myself philosophically, I find myself fractured and fragmented. Torn ambivalently in different directions because both sides are able to note sets of assumptions the other side can’t make go away. Therefore the best of all possible worlds [politically and legally] is to me [here and now] moderation, negotiation and compromise.

But, in a No God world, this doesn’t make me any less fractured and fragmented.

Besides, with abortion, who gets to define the meaning of “human life”. Is it at the point of conception? when there is a beating heart? when it is viable outside the womb?

You pin down the correct definition here.

I don’t believe abortion is killing a human, but I still don’t believe in a woman’s right to choose, for it’s unfair to men; it’s hers until it’s born, but it’s both of theirs after.
A potential mother should require the consent of the potential father to abort their unborn, or the responsibility of providing for children should fall squarely on mothers and the state.

Conception would be the first stage of life for a new human being. So life begins with conception. Thoughts?

Iambiguous,

I’ve answered this question repeatedly for you (to which you’ve never responded) (which makes you a troll)

I’ll answer it again.

People want fetuses to be treated as full grown people.

Well then ask full grown people! “Do you wish you had never been born?”

Many of them will say yes.

For those who think it’s wrong to be aborted, they don’t care about their mother’s wishes (they hate their mother).

Do we really want people who hate their mother to be born (it’s a rhetorical question)? The answer is “no”.

We have two different types of people here:

Those who wish they had never been born and those who hate their mother… those who hate their mother want to be born here no matter how many people don’t want them here (sociopaths)

The world does not need more sociopaths (we execute them all the time)

The correct answer is “pro choice”

The average pregnancy is 40 weeks.
How bout if you abort your unborn at 4 weeks for eg, it’s 10% alive, and so it’s 10% murder, and so the max penalty is 2.5 years in prison, the min being 0, with exemption in cases of rape, high-risk pregnancies and disabled unborns?
Such’d be a synthesis between the all/nothing, living/dead thinking of conservatives/liberals.

Alive is alive.

Selfish is selfish.

The fetus that hates its abortion is selfish. It doesn’t care for any human on earth.
Full grown adults have been through much worse than an aborted fetus for reasons of integrity.

So you’re saying fetuses don’t have integrity?

Why do we want them here again?

Right, alive is alive, dead is dead, and half alive/dead is half alive/dead, not alive or dead.

A fetus is alive (period).

Like I said…

Ask adults whether they wish they had never been born. REAL consensual beings. Many will say yes, especially if their mother doesn’t want them here.

That means the ONLY fetuses we are protecting are sociopaths… and we need no more of them in the world.

You’re not defending fetuses, only potential sociopaths.

Let’s not be confused about this.

In your opinion.

A non sociopathic fetus would NEVER be offended that they were aborted !! (It’s impossible)

From my point of view, it’s not what someone believes is true about abortion, but what they can demonstrate to others that all rational men and women are obligated to believe in turn.

Some [like me] believe that human life begins at conception. Others however believe that as a zygote/embryo the unborn are just “clumps of cells”. Still others believe it revolves around a beating heart or around brain activity or around its capacity to survive outside the womb. While still others insist that a woman has the right to demand an abortion at any point from conception onward. In some sets of circumstances historically and culturally even new borns can be killed. Often revolving around gender or congenital health issues. Or, during the pregnancy, if the mothers physical or emotional health is imperiled.

Okay, different folks, different assumptions. Different assumptions, different conclusions. But how exactly would any of them, including myself, go about demonstrating beyond all doubt in a No God world when in fact a human being is being killed?

Right, like this isn’t just your own political prejudices being expressed. And, even here, my own interest revolves more around how particular individuals [including yourself] come to be predisposed existentially to choose one set of political prejudices over all the others.

For the most part I agree.
Two people can be equally informed about an entity, but still conceptualize and/or value it differently.
Why?
In some cases it may be because one person’s conceptualizations are more internally, and externally consistent with the entity than the other’s, but in other cases, while the entity itself is objective (for the sake of argument), how we conceptualization it isn’t entirely, and how we value the entity, if we value it at all, is entirely subjective (altho some values may still be more sustainable than others, if you catch my drift), and somewhat variable.
Similar subjects will have similar conceptualizations and valuations, conversely different subjects will have different ones.
A lot of it comes down to neurocognition, linguistics, and feelings, which vary somewhat from person to person, as well as (un)conscious agendas, sociopolitical biases.

No more than you’re just expressing yours.

If abortion is homicide, why’re you still prochoice?

Biggie, do you think that the world has an indifferent objective existence?