adventure

friend

food

courage

love

inspire

sky

(please share yours below)

Sounds as if somebody is having a crisis with his profession (again).

Anyway, I’ve always hated the word phlegm. And for some reason I’ve always liked the word retroactive. It sounds cool. Much cooler than what it means. (Although sometimes what it means can be cool.) But maybe you’re going for meaning, and not necessarily sound.

Retro is a good prefix. active is a good suffi…almost as good as -matic. As in systematic, automatic, it’s hydromatic.

People use retroactive as jargon, and it’s douche-speak for going back and changing something. i would like the retroactively not be in marketing.

But it does sound cool.

I think i’ll use hydromatic in a sentence at my next bored meeting. but not to describe something qualitative, like a piece of creative. I will use hydromatic to describe a function of SEO or something. And i will say it with a straight face, as if it means something. it does mean something. it means i’m bored.

Retromatic.

Here, I’ll use it in a sentence:

“The retromatic synergy should be a real game-changer for us.”

You’ll own the room.

check and mate, bitch. you always were two steps ahead of me. retromatically speaking.

i think we can do without the rhesus monkey nomenclature. whenever I hear it I think of a monkey with chocolate and peanut butter smeared all over its ass.

I hate the word squamous but i like the word carcinoma, it has a rich but smooth mahogany oeuvre to it – not sure why.

pergo is more fun to say than hardwood, but hardwood is more fun to have.

haven doesn’t sound like a safe place – it sounds like a place where people are tortured and sweaty.

grandmother is a perfect word describing the thing it intends to describe.

fred is a dumb sounding name. most compound consonants annoy to hell out of me. frank has fucking two compounds. whoever invented compound consonants was a busybody who ruined practically everything.

Ha! Only in a retromatic way could I have ever been considered to be two steps ahead of you.

Carcinoma. That’s good. If I didn’t know and you told me it was, say, a particularly aromatic brand of cigar, I’d believe it. Yeah, it’s an Arturo Fuente Carcinoma, you’d say. Ten bucks a pop.

Pop. That’s a good word that sounds like what it is. So is aromatic.

Whisper. That’s one. Delicate, too.

I’ll probably think of more.

two steps ahead, two steps behind, what’s the diff, I tend to travel in a circle.

Words I hate:
absolute
certainty
Words I love:
empathy
compassion
But, if we’re doing euphony vs cacaphony here I’ll take aluminum over retch.
And if anybody in a philosophy forum uses the prefixes meta- or post-, I’ll retch on the aluminum.

Love:
delphinium
voluptuous
velvet
lyrical
willow
illuminate
delectable

Don’t love:
squat
cramped
vivisect

My preferences are related more to phonetics than meaning - I don’t remember much about my college linguistics class but I think it has something to do with sonorants and fricatives…

Damn, my post is SO much more boring than the Slow John/rainey exchange. Can’t you two get back here and think of some more words to banter back and forth?

If we are doing euphony vs cacaphony here.I’ll take “aluminum” over “retch.”

But if anyone using a philosophy forum uses the prefixes meta- or post-, I’ll retch on the aluminum.

So, is this what you’d call a meta-post?

[size=55][Yeah, yeah, lame, but it’s all I got. :laughing: ][/size]

I like the word “Anita”.

Nah, this is what I call my computer–Max Stout. Didn’t intend the double posts. I will however only shut one eye when I see metamorphosis.

Anita person is hard to find!!!

Happy New Year rainey! I hope we’ll get to see a little more of you this year. :slight_smile:

And Ierrellus, hmmm…

I’m afraid I’m

as I can’t think of an adequate response.

[size=85][wrong thread? :wink: ][/size]

I’m an inveterate punster, Lady A. I took Anita as “a neater”.

Yep, I got that. :slight_smile: I’m not so adept; a visual pun was the best I could do by way of response.

phonetics, sonorants and fricatives are lovely, impressive words.

Fricatives gave me a small orgasm.

Orgasm is a disturbing word. it feels better than it sounds, but that’s not really a fair fight, is it.

Orgasm sounds like what it is. It packs an explosive munch and is over to soon.

“orrrrrRRRR…” and then “GASMMmmm…!”

I remember reading about an orgasm when I was young and I was terrified about having one.

I was worried I wouldn’t be able to handle it. Kind of like fear of taking acid for the first time.

But I can handle it, all too well, it turns out.

I am self employed and work at home, but I have to work at Starbucks, so as not to get into “trouble.”

without starbucks i’d never get anything done.

starbucks is a great word.

btw, I get paid to write things that are crisp, relevant and disciplined. lately i ghostwrite a shit-ton.

I have never written the word shit-ton, and I don’t ever say it. not sure about the hyphen. that uncertainty argues well for not using the word again.

but saying ton just seems so tired.

It’s soooooo relaxing to just riff like this, not having to worry whether it’s good.

i like the word “west”