WORDS I HATE/LOVE

Elevate form over function to get at less easily articulable truths.

Re: WORDS I HATE/LOVE

Postby tentative » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:08 am

..... is help people with a clear, memorable and motivating sales or brand message,...
A dancing banana by any other name is still... :lol:

Sorry about the unmentionable word. Maybe rainey can produce a poetic treatment that would allow that word the light of day. I still like it, but I won't say it in front of your wife. Safety first.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby rainey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Crotch needs neither good marketing nor poetic treatment. Crotch is a damn fine word. (There is no WE in crotch.)

The dancing banana is evil, as are most emoticons. It just happens to be the evilist.
There's an underlying intelligence to the universe (call it God, if you must) and it is our purpose to give this intelligence form and meaning. --G.S. Payne
rainey
Philosopher

Postby AnitaS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:39 pm

The dancing banana is an affront to anyone with even the tiniest bit of aesthetic sensibility.

But evil - mmm, I’ve recently taken quite a shine to that word.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs.”
    - Leo Tolstoy

"Fair and softly goes far."
    - Miguel de Cervantes
    AnitaS
    Philosopher

Postby tentative » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:32 pm

rainey, just curious, is it evilist or evilest? Engrish confuses me sometimes.

Anita, so dish... what is it you find interesting in evil? You're not contemplating something are you? :-?
    IGAYRCCFYVM
    Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

tentative

Postby AnitaS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

JT, apparently I'm even more clueless than I thought [the clueless, clueless about her cluelessness - it's a vicious cycle - I'm getting dizzy] - anyway, word on the street is that as a white woman, I personify evil and - AND! - I can make men do whatever I want them to do! How fun is that?!

Okay well gotta run, with all this power comes great responsibility you know, so much evil to do, so little time...

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs.”
    - Leo Tolstoy

- Miguel de Cervantes
    AnitaS
    Philosopher

Postby Ichthus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Lately the word 'uptick' is irritating. No known reason.
    I love apologetics and philosophy, particularly all things Euthyphro Dilemma, Hume's is-ought, Plato's justified-true, and the Golden Rule. A para-educator (autism) for five years, I am a very part-time undergraduate student and moonlight as a freelancer at ichthus77.com.

I am on Twitter https://twitter.com/Ichthus77, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MaryannSpikes.Ichthus77, and Google+ https://plus.google.com/109994972028830391779.
    Ichthus
    Philosopher

Postby tentative » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 pm

AnitaS wrote:JT, apparently I'm even more clueless than I thought [the clueless, clueless about her cluelessness - it's a vicious cycle - I'm getting dizzy] - anyway, word on the street is that as a white woman, I personify evil and - AND! - I can make men do whatever I want them to do! How fun is that?!

Okay well gotta run, with all this power comes great responsibility you know, so much evil to do, so little time...

:lol: Yeah, that's a name I could hate with little effort. REAL UNORIGINAL. The epitome of dipshitism.

OK OK... you can do anything you want with me, just be gentle, please? O:)
    IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby tentative » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Ichthus wrote:Lately the word 'uptick' is irritating. No known reason.

Is that more irritating than 'downtick'?

I'm tired of seeing the word 'moron'. I mean, it's ... moronic.
    IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm

From "Mother Goose"--
    Diddle, diddle dumpling,
    My son, John.
    One shoe off
    And one shoe on."
    Isn't that a beautiful set of words?
    "We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
    I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
    "If you linger to curse the snake that bit you, you will die of its poison."
    Arrogance hides a multitude of insecurities."
    Perspectivism may mean never having to say you're certain.
    Ierrellus
    ILP Legend

Postby Calrid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 pm

rainey wrote:Retromatic.

Here, I'll use it in a sentence:

"The retromatic synergy should be a real game-changer for us."

You'll own the room.

Or you'll be a winner of bullshit bingo.

Bullshit! :lol:
    “I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
    Calrid
    Philosopher

Postby Ichthus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 am

If I ever hear downtick, I'm sure it will be just as irritating, if not moreso.
    I love apologetics and philosophy, particularly all things Euthyphro Dilemma, Hume's is-ought, Plato's justified-true, and the Golden Rule. A para-educator (autism) for five years, I am a very part-time undergraduate student and moonlight as a freelancer at ichthus77.com.

I am on Twitter https://twitter.com/Ichthus77, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MaryannSpikes.Ichthus77, and Google+ https://plus.google.com/109994972028830391779.
    Ichthus
    Philosopher

Postby tentative » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:48 am

Ichthus wrote:If I ever hear downtick, I'm sure it will be just as irritating, if not moreso.

Well, just so you know, the stock market had an uptick today, but will probably suffer a downtick later this week. :lol: Is there such a thing as an untick? I could like that word.

A couple more hated words:
    1. boost - I like the sound of it but I'm tired of how it is commonly used. We have a boost in cleaning power! Fuck you.
    2. new - so what? Everything is new at some point.
    IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:58 pm

tentative wrote:
    Ichthus wrote:If I ever hear downtick, I'm sure it will be just as irritating, if not moreso.

Well, just so you know, the stock market had an uptick today, but will probably suffer a downtick later this week. :lol: Is there such a thing as an untick? I could like that word.

A couple more hated words:
    1. boost - I like the sound of it but I'm tired of how it is commonly used. We have a boost in cleaning power! Fuck you.
    2. new - so what? Everything is new at some point.

Good point. New does not necessarily mean good--for anybody. "Craving novelty"--how obnoxiously those words fit together.
    Ticks on the dog have more meaning than ticks from a clock.
    Try the words in this sentence--"At 6 a.m. the cock ejaculated a crow!"
    Ierrellus
    ILP Legend

Postby Calrid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 pm

I love crombombulent, it's a word I made up about my dog who is crombombulous. No I don't know what it means because I made it up. I probably should of thought it through. ;)

He's also a hulvis incidentally or a hulver. I sometimes call him Hulvis Presley, because he is the King of Hulvers obviously.
    “I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
    Calrid
    Philosopher

Postby Slow John » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:07 am

I don't know why the word deliverables must exist or what it means, but I'm assuming whatever a deliverable is, a dirigible is not one of them. Nonetheless, both words, deliverable and dirigible, can fuck off.

Fuck is a great word. Fuck is the Chairman of the Board.

Shit is maybe Dean Martin. Not a fan of the word shit.

Women seem to like saying shit more than men, although men tend to like saying jack-shit, even though jack squat is funnier.

Bottom line is men don't need any permutation of shit on the tips of their tongues. They prefer fuck. The ideal woman is into shit and fuck, both.

Both words, that is. :oops:

:banana-dance:

saved by the banana guy
    I want to write stuff worth reading. But if I can't do that, I'll settle for writing stuff worth writing. – Gamer
    Slow John

Postby tentative » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:02 am

Fuck is a great word. Fuck is the Chairman of the Board.

Shit is maybe Dean Martin. Not a fan of the word shit.

Godamighty, Do you realize how old you have to be to catch that? Most of these people wouldn't know FS from shit let alone the moniker. You is old, almost ancient! :lol: :lol:

I like deliverables. If I order a pizza, it's a deliverable - even with anchovies and a side of bread sticks. Babies are deliverables but I didn't order any. That was the wife's doings.

Another hate word:

Biodegradable - Are you fucking kidding me? U235 is biodegradable if you wait long enough. It's a word for the perennially gullible.
    IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 pm

How about "new and improved" on product lables, which usually mean reduced in content and a flashier package?
    Ierrellus
    ILP Legend

Postby rainey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Slow John wrote:Shit is maybe Dean Martin. Not a fan of the word shit.

No offense, g., but you need to have your head examined if you don't like Dean Martin.

(I would have used Steve Lawrence as my "shit" example, relative to the Chairman.)
    There's an underlying intelligence to the universe (call it God, if you must) and it is our purpose to give this intelligence form and meaning. --G.S. Payne
    rainey
    Philosopher

Postby rainey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

rainey
    Philosopher

Postby tentative » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie... Who the hell would write something like that? :-&
    IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby rainey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Poetry, JT. Pure poetry.
    rainey
    Philosopher

Postby tentative » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 pm

rainey wrote:Poetry, JT. Pure poetry.

#-o Ummm... is it time to get on the boat and maybe let the wind clear out a few cobwebs? :roll:

Speaking of poetry, when are you gonna post your latest? Anita is waiting with bated breath.

bated... that's a word you don't hear very often anymore. I like the suspense of that word, waiting for whatever comes after it. After all, you can only be bated for so long...
    IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby tminusmat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

i hate the word Caveat
    Love the word Surreal
    tminusmat

Postby rainey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm

tentative wrote:Speaking of poetry, when are you gonna post your latest? Anita is waiting with bated breath.

bated... that's a word you don't hear very often anymore. I like the suspense of that word, waiting for whatever comes after it. After all, you can only be bated for so long...

Yes, bating. I'm something of a master at it. Wait - that didn't come out quite right...um...forget that... :oops:

ANYway, haven't written a poem in months, JT. Off on a different direction writing-wise these days and I just can't find it in me. Even as encouraging as Anita has always been (for which I have always been grateful).
    rainey
    Philosopher

Postby AnitaS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm

:) I’ll take that as rainey’s tactful, kind way of telling me to stop harassing him. 8-[

However, if your alternately-directed writing is suitable for sharing.... Hey, can't blame a girl for trying! Okay, okay, I got that outa my system, so I promise I'll stop now.

- Leo Tolstoy

- Miguel de Cervantes
      AnitaS
      Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Writing